FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2009 Program Changes -- the good, the bad and the ugly
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:29 pm
TravelsLots

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United MP Pr Exec
Bad Timing for MR - will result in caching, less revenues

Clearly the new MR awards are more expensive point-wise. Tie this with the sever economy, limiting travels, and MR members feeling they want to leave to other programs, I fear Marriott will experience a lot of points cashing, reduction in Elite membership, and less revenues even accounting for the limiting travel and slower economy.

This was the worse time to introduce such changes Marriott.

I have been PL for many years, with over 500K points - am going to cash them all, get a matching status on one of the competing programs (looks like HH is best) and enjoy as much as I can using the old packages.

This reminds me the 2001 program changes (eg see http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/show...825&highlight= ) , and before, when lots of bonuses has been reduced (E.g. for car rentals, the 100% point bonus etc.). The PL bonus used to be 100% also, so we are going back to the worse.

2001 - after 9/11 - was a slow year, but I see it being much worse now, with the economy in such a bad shape. For example, in my company (major US Corp) travel has been put on freeze for only super esential, with SVP approval ...!

Bad job Marriott, sorry to say, the time has come to separate.

With Regards,

TL

Last edited by TravelsLots; Oct 22, 2008 at 2:37 pm