Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2009 Program Changes -- the good, the bad and the ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Program Changes -- the good, the bad and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:43 am

MR Gold

As a MR Gold who likes to redeem at premium properties with travel packages the changes are a serious devaluation to the program. I can only hope that Marriott listens to the feedback and realizes that most of us do have a choice in where we take our stays. Unlike my relationship with DL here in ATL, I can easily switch programs.

Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
With Hilton's double dip, wouldn't it make sense to switch to Hilton? It should make up for the free night if you requested points only.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:03 am

Another Gold, with no shot at making platinum, unhappy with the program 'enhancement'. I'll make a serious push to move my business stays to SPG, I've been wanting to align my business and leisure programs anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Based on feedback from our members, I am excited to announce a number of program enhancements being made effective January 15, 2009 – and we are announcing it here first.
Based on feedback from our members? I don't recall being asked about these "enhancements." Were any of our FT members consulted on this?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The feedback must have come from all the non-elite or lower elite members who did not like paying the 100 % premium for the non-standard awards. If it had come from FT, it would have been a resounding no.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
The "enhancements" were...

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Based on feedback from our members? I don't recall being asked about these "enhancements." Were any of our FT members consulted on this?
There was a thread awhile ago (Do a search) where improvements like the 50% point bonus for Plats and something else was thrown out. The huge point devaluations were most certainly not. We were definitely not asked whether we would be willing to pay this price to get the 50% bonus, that much I am sure.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I started a thread back on June 15th "MARRIOTT SHOULD SWEETEN PLATINUM BENEFITS"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=enhance

Lots of "feedback" found there. If Marriott was really listening to its members they would have gone through that thread with a fine tooth comb.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I will agree that the changes are enhancements for some members. However, the members for whom the changes are beneficial are those members who travel only occassionally or perhaps the road warrior "light" crowd. Those of us putting serious $ in Marriott's pockets are getting screwed the +2 points 50% bonus is a joke considering how much redemption rates are being inflated. Golds and silvers would be well advised to jump off this sinking ship.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpauker
I will agree that the changes are enhancements for some members. However, the members for whom the changes are beneficial are those members who travel only occassionally or perhaps the road warrior "light" crowd. Those of us putting serious $ in Marriott's pockets are getting screwed the +2 points 50% bonus is a joke considering how much redemption rates are being inflated. Golds and silvers would be well advised to jump off this sinking ship.
At what level are the redemptions better now?

I'm a 2-4 night vacation type (like to do them shorter and more often).
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:43 am

When Hilton "devalued" their points last year, everyone over there got up in arms.

Marriott is just keeping up with the Jones'. SPG will probably do the same next year.

I do like that there are no Blackout dates now. With far too many of the initial choices that I looked for having no Standard availability, I will welcome the changes.

Now Hilton and Marriott are basically the same and I will keep Diamond and Platinum with both, but I do like (new?) Citi Visa where you get 6 points at Hilton so that will be 21 points per dollar (when using Points+BonusPoints)
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by annerj

Agreed. For those of us who like to use points for long weekends it's a major
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by annerj

The 5 night vacationer may come away with something beneficial (maybe... in a few isolated cases). Maybe the no blackouts thing could help some people, even though it's not still not actually "no blackouts". Those people who are happy to have enough points to be able to redeem them for something will probably feel like they got something out of this.

Those of us smart enough to know what the points are really worth and what value they can bring when doing travel packages or 7 night category 7 stays will, of course, know that we are getting a royal screwjob.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Jumpgate

At least SPG is honest ... When they bumped a lot of hotels up a category, and even created a new higher level of hotel and therefore devalued points, Starwood Lurker stated it in those words. He even encouraged people to book before the changes went into effect.
Has Marriott communicated category changes for non-cat 8 yet?

I agree that the characterization of these as enhancements is borderline insulting.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
Even with the double dip, Hilton Diamond members will earn 20 points per dollar (using the Hilton CC) - same as Marriott Platinum in 2009...But with Hilton, your Diamond arrival gift is 1,000 points at Hilton and Doubletree hotels, and 750 at HGI, as opposed to 500 with Marriott and Renaissance and 200 with Courtyard. On top of that, you will earn 500 airline miles per stay.
  • W/double dip, HH diamond earns 25pts/$, (10 base + 5 elite bonus + 5 double dip + 5 CC).
  • The 1k & 750 HH gift pts are different from the MR arrival gift, if you pick the HH gift pts, you will forfeit your upgrade privileges (at HH & DT) & comped breakfast (HGI).
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I did the math and based on my earnings last year under the new structure I would have earned 420K points vs 391K, an increase of 7.6%. For starters, earning 50% plat bonus vs 30% is not a 20% increase, going from 130% of base to 150% of base is only a 15.4% increase, then you have to factor in all the Megabonuses, Plat arrival gifts, CC earnings that do not get any better.

Looking at all the awards I have cashed in over the years (4!) I would have spent 10.3% more under the new structure. That is because I was forced to pay 315K points for a travel package at Vail Marriott.

To me that isn't too bad a hit, at least for Plats. The proof will be in the pudding, whether "bad boy" properties REALLY adhere to the no blackout dates or hide behind some sort of scam wrt availability.

I agree with one of the previous posters - retool the travel packages to be 5 nites plus 120K miles. Cat 6 = 5 nites for 120K plus 120K for miles = 240K. Cat 7 = 5 nites for 140K plus 120K miles for 260K. That would take a lot of the sting out of it for me, as three of my four redemptions have been for travel packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.