Platinum Upgrade?

Old Mar 8, 08, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Platinum Upgrade?

Was curious - any of you Platinum members ever get a suite upgrade? I have been Platinum for years, and have never once gotten a suite upgrade. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten any kind of upgraded room. When I ask, I am usually told they are "sold out", or the day I check out, I am told there WAS an upgrade available, and the clerk who checked me in should have given it to me.

Hmmm...

Anyone have any luck with this?
Old Mar 8, 08, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold
In my experience its dependent on both the property and the front desk person who checks you in.

For example, while I am rarely upgraded to a suite in general, I've never not been upgraded to a suite at the Mayflower.

Also, while many fs Marriott brand properties have few suites, a number of Renaissance brand fs properites have numerous suites. Obviously, your likelihood of getting a suite upgrade is greater when the property has more suites.
Old Mar 8, 08, 5:58 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier, HH Silver, National Exec Elite, USAirways Silver
I'm upgraded quite a bit actually. It's definitely property specific but I'm always nice at check-in and ask nicely. Usually in a semi-joking manner
Old Mar 8, 08, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
YMMV.....The only Suite upgrade I got without asking was the San Fran Marriott last summer.......other than that--zippo. But then again, I am required to book discounted rates for work travel so I don't ever expect to get one.
Old Mar 8, 08, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Gold
Yes I have gotten suite upgrades in the past. Always welcome when they come but do not expect them. One property that always seemed to give them out was the Renaissance St Louis Airport. I also have gotten the occasional CY and FI suite upgrades in the past. Not sure what the exact formula was, but definitely being nice at check-in couldn't have hurt.

--DD73
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Suite Upgrades

There have been several threads on this over the past year - to the point where it was pointed out that suites are specifically excluded from being upgraded...and yet, for me, as a Plat, i would say that I get upgraded to suites maybe 15-20% of the time, depending on the property and "what's going on" at the hotel.

Next weekend in Anaheim, there is a Food Show that fills up all of the hotels...I have never been upgraded to a suite at the Anaheim Marriott. But at the JW in Las Vegas, in the summer, during the week, when "nobody's there" - i have twice been upgraded to the Presidential Suite...and yes, it was v-e-r-y impressive!
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:12 pm

My last 8 stays at The Renaissance Toronto Downtown have all been suite upgrades ^

I have also received a suite..

Marriott Colonge, Germany
Marriott Buenos Aires, Argentina
Marriott Eaton Centre Toronto, Canada
Marriott Yorkville Toronto, Canada
Renaissance Atlanta, Georgia USA
Marriott Washington, DC
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:33 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
As previously noted, it's pretty property specific, and while the T&C's make sure to note that the upgrade guarantee DOES NOT include suites, it does not necessarily exclude being upgraded to a suite at check-in. I've found that in instances where the hotel is sold out for the night, if they have not specifically sold the suites, then Platinums are generally first in line to be bumped up to one to make rooms available for other guests. That being said:

Renaissance Agoura Hills: Presidential Suite (although admittedly this was based on a previous agreement through their executive offices in regards to a few issues I had had on a previous stay)
Renaissance Glendale: 1BR Suite (very nice new property, although the excessive use of desert colors [orange] can be a bit straining on the eyes)
Torrance Marriott South Bay: 1BR Suite (hotel was overbooked for the night)
Key Largo Marriott: 2BR Suite
Renaissance Arts Hotel New Orleans: 1BR, 2BA Suite
JW Marriott Las Vegas: 1BR Suite
Burbank Airport Marriott: 1BR Suite
Renaissance Hollywood Hotel and Spa: Suite (essentially a much larger room with two King beds [yes Kings] and a sofabed)

And then of course the suite upgrades at CY's and RI's

As noted in a previous thread though, hotels don't seem to keen on the idea of upgrading to Junior Suites when they're available (which according to a ICC via a fellow FT member, are not considered suites)

**For those who care: If you want to see what upgrade a hotel has given you before arrival, you can check your reservation online the day of arrival and it will show the room type you've been upgraded to. I use this when I don't need to stay property specific at times to find the best upgrade

Last edited by NDDomer86; Mar 10, 08 at 11:15 pm
Old Mar 8, 08, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
My personal experience has been that I am more likely to receive a suite upgrade in the following situations:

1. Traveling with family for vacation. I have a much higher suite upgrade % on my family vacations than I do with normal business travel. This may have to do with the hotels I travel to for vacation versus work. It may also have to do with the front desk person seeing me come in with my family. Who knows.

2. Non-NA properties. I have received some pretty nice upgrades to suites in China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.

3. Shorter stays. When I'm staying at a hotel for a week or more, it rarely happens. But those 1-3 night stays? I'm more likely to be able to receive one.

4. CYs. Most of the above discussion centers around my FS Marriott upgrades. But when I stay at CYs, even in the US, I ask and more often than not get a King suite room. ^
Old Mar 8, 08, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

It seems that upgrades at Renaissance properties are more common than at Marriotts. I generally stay in Marriotts. I am generally very pleasant at check-in, but I have actually only asked for an upgrade once, and that was at the Detroit Marriott (I was told they were S/O).

I guess I need to start asking!

Thanks again. Good to hear everyone's experiences...
Old Mar 9, 08, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
My personal experience has been that I am more likely to receive a suite upgrade in the following situations:

1. Traveling with family for vacation. I have a much higher suite upgrade % on my family vacations than I do with normal business travel. This may have to do with the hotels I travel to for vacation versus work. It may also have to do with the front desk person seeing me come in with my family. Who knows.

2. Non-NA properties. I have received some pretty nice upgrades to suites in China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.

3. Shorter stays. When I'm staying at a hotel for a week or more, it rarely happens. But those 1-3 night stays? I'm more likely to be able to receive one.

4. CYs. Most of the above discussion centers around my FS Marriott upgrades. But when I stay at CYs, even in the US, I ask and more often than not get a King suite room. ^
Can't agree more. I have been mostly upgraded to suites while travelling in Asia.
Old Mar 9, 08, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
It is the luck of the draw. I have had the opposite experience to many of the other posters:

1. At a FS Marriott (not Ren) for a full week stay (not short) I received a full suite upgrade. This was fairly recent (Dec. '07)
2. I never received an upgrade (of any kind) at the Rennaisance St. Louis Airport

For some strange reason, award stays generally net me a nicer upgrade (junior suite or better) more often than not, but my guess is that those stays are typically on weekends when the bulk of business/elite guests are gone.

The typical upgrade is to the Concierge Level.
Old Mar 9, 08, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Keeton - thats also a good point. The bulk of my room nights are SUN - THU. I am sure that has something to do with availability...
Old Mar 9, 08, 8:50 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Maybe 1/5 of my stays at the Mayflower were upgrades to a suite (one of which I turned down because it overlooked the alley and the noisy HVAC system). One suite upgrade at the Renaissance Washington DC (Chinatown).

No other hotels have given me a suite.
Old Mar 9, 08, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Most my Marriott stays are at two properties in the LA area. Quite frankly they wouldn't get my business unless they are willing to give suite upgrades.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: