Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
CL for non-status folk

Is there any way to get to the CL without having status? I have a booking for 5 nights, all cash (no points) next week, and the CL sounds delightful! ALso, can you anyone recommend a restaurant nearby that would be good for a large party (~12) on a Saturday night? Doing the "all the relatives in one place so we can sightsee alone" dinner.
THANKS!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Elmonogrande
Great info guys, thanx

Did anyone get a room upgrade here? If yes, what kind of upgrade?

The standard room is 22sqm. Being a Platinum I would have lounge access already so is there any benefit in getting a executive room? These are also 22sqm.

Any great restaurant near the hotel?

Thanx
We were upgraded to a suite on an award reservation. It was a very nice suite and we were quite pleased.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
Is there any way to get to the CL without having status? I have a booking for 5 nights, all cash (no points) next week, and the CL sounds delightful! ALso, can you anyone recommend a restaurant nearby that would be good for a large party (~12) on a Saturday night? Doing the "all the relatives in one place so we can sightsee alone" dinner.
THANKS!
You can book an executive floor room. To be honest, I found the CL to be crowded and somewhat dumpy, so it's really not worth the money. The street is loaded with great little local cafes, so don't bother with the vile buffet brekkie in the CL.

The restaurant in the lobby is surprisingly very good and not abysmally expensive in a pinch for a dinner for 12.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brendog
You can book an executive floor room. To be honest, I found the CL to be crowded and somewhat dumpy, so it's really not worth the money. The street is loaded with great little local cafes, so don't bother with the vile buffet brekkie in the CL.

The restaurant in the lobby is surprisingly very good and not abysmally expensive in a pinch for a dinner for 12.

DUMPY? Are we talking about the Rive Gauche location? It's brand new with very nice furniture, lots of natural light (one entire wall is nothing but domed glass), and very helpful, good attendants. The only lounge in the entire Marriott chain in Europe that can even come close to matching the Rive Gauche would be the Berlin Marriott perhaps. The breakfast buffet in the CL is the exact same food from the restaurant which is quite good. I am quite baffled by your descriptions and remarks. I've stayed there no less than 30 nights the past 2 years and have never experienced this at all.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by dg4255
DUMPY? Are we talking about the Rive Gauche location?
Hmmm...whom to believe?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by dg4255
DUMPY? Are we talking about the Rive Gauche location? It's brand new with very nice furniture, lots of natural light (one entire wall is nothing but domed glass), and very helpful, good attendants. The only lounge in the entire Marriott chain in Europe that can even come close to matching the Rive Gauche would be the Berlin Marriott perhaps. The breakfast buffet in the CL is the exact same food from the restaurant which is quite good. I am quite baffled by your descriptions and remarks. I've stayed there no less than 30 nights the past 2 years and have never experienced this at all.
I've stayed at the Rive Gauche a few times this year, and while I generally like the hotel, I find the CL to be slightly, yes, dumpy, and the food offerings to be standard vile buffet fare. The CL was also overcrowded every time that I visited. The location of the CL on a lower floor is also questionable.

Insofar as location, however, the RG is perfect for walking everywhere in the city, save for Montmartre, and it is close to RER and Metro service.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by brendog
I've stayed at the Rive Gauche a few times this year, and while I generally like the hotel, I find the CL to be slightly, yes, dumpy, and the food offerings to be standard vile buffet fare. The CL was also overcrowded every time that I visited. The location of the CL on a lower floor is also questionable.

Insofar as location, however, the RG is perfect for walking everywhere in the city, save for Montmartre, and it is close to RER and Metro service.
OK, so I will forgo the CL but I am reassured that the hotel will meet my expectations. It happens to be USD 120 less per night than the Marriott at Trocadero (Le Parc), which seems to be more quaint and in a better neighborhood, but I will just put the extra $$ I save towards a few more bakery visits and other Paris indulgences. Hopefully the lobby lines and other 'big hotel' issues won't get us down.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:15 pm

Just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. It really is quite a nice property. We used points but paid an extra 50 Euros per night to upgrade to the Executive floor. The lounge was recently renovated and is a decent size although it was always VERY crowded for breakfast and at 5-6pm. Sometimes it was tough to even get a seat. Wine and beer are free. It is open from 6:30am to11pm.

The food in the lounge was just so-so and they ran out of some things quickly.

The only downside, albeit not a huge one, IMO, is the location. While there is transportation a block away it is a single metro line and a single bus route. Other bus routes and metros are a 10 minute walk though.

The staff is wonderful. I had a major prolem when I arrived (not with the hotel) and they were SO helpful. I would definitely stay here again if other Marriotts in central Paris were not available.

Bobette
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by b1513
Just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. It really is quite a nice property. We used points but paid an extra 50 Euros per night to upgrade to the Executive floor. The lounge was recently renovated and is a decent size although it was always VERY crowded for breakfast and at 5-6pm. Sometimes it was tough to even get a seat. Wine and beer are free. It is open from 6:30am to11pm.

The food in the lounge was just so-so and they ran out of some things quickly.

The only downside, albeit not a huge one, IMO, is the location. While there is transportation a block away it is a single metro line and a single bus route. Other bus routes and metros are a 10 minute walk though.

The staff is wonderful. I had a major prolem when I arrived (not with the hotel) and they were SO helpful. I would definitely stay here again if other Marriotts in central Paris were not available.

Bobette
Stayed there, was very satisfied. Our room was fine, not teeny like some EU hotels. It was clean, had a nice desk area, refrig in the room with space for extras, bathroom well-kept and fairly modern. Much like a Hilton in a big city back in the US.

The concierge espeicially Philippe was not only helpful, but available! He helped us often and has a very nice and welconing manner.We saw many airline and tour groups but never ran into lines/long waits.

Did not opt for the extra 50 Euro for the lounge, and ended up living the Paris life so much , we never missed it. We loved the boulangeries and cafes and ate and drank so much, we had no need for anything extra.

As for location, sure the metro 1 block away is not a hub station, but another metro AND the RER are an 8 min walk from the hotel. We took the RER to CDG from there dragging 4 pieces of luggage with little effort. The metro system is so good (plus I actually have fun taking it) that the hotel location was not an issue.

Nearby is Rue Daguerre, with a great row of restaurants. The other direction is Chinatown; not a fashonable place like the CE, but culturally a cool experience nevertheless.

Overall, I would definitely stay here if I wanted a 'merkin hotel; I personally prefer smaller boutique hotels but Mrs Weezl wants the big name brands.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Stayed there, was very satisfied. ........
Thanks for the report of your recent stay.

.....We took the RER to CDG from there dragging 4 pieces of luggage with little effort. The metro system is so good (plus I actually have fun taking it) that the hotel location was not an issue.
Do you recall how long a ride on RER to CDG? Thanks

Nearby is Rue Daguerre, with a great row of restaurants. The other direction is Chinatown; ....
Is there one that you care to mention (by name) for great food and service?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the report of your recent stay.

Do you recall how long a ride on RER to CDG? Thanks

Is there one that you care to mention (by name) for great food and service?

I believe it was 45 min or so to the last stop (there are 2 stops at the end of the line, both for CDG, so depending on your terminal, you stop at the last or penultimate). Then you have to get from the station to the main terminal, another 5 min or so. We left the hotel at 7:15 for an 11AM flight and by the time we checked luggage, we sat around for about 75 min in the RCC before shoving off to tha gate. Be aware that the RCC is streetside, not airside, so you still have to allow for security after you leave the RCC.

The one I liked was about 3 in from the end of the strip (the end towards the hotel); it had a Mediteranean theme, plus had heaters and a canopy so you could still sit outside and still be warm. I do not remember the name. You don't need to know, really. Just go there and stroll and see what srikes your fancy. I also liked cafe Daguerre, right near or on the end of the strip. Of course, these are good if you want something nearby. There are millions out there in other areas, each with their own charm.

Service at Daguerre was the same for most places we went to. Pleasant, not particularly fast, but responsive if you want your check sooner than most Parisians.

We also went to a place about 20 min walk from the hotel (past Daguerre) called Le Laulier; you can google it. This was a great little find, not too pricey but with good service, ambiance and food. Recommended by Phillippe.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 1:30 pm

We like Cafe Daguerre too although didn't eat there this time. There's another restaurant called Lao-Lane Xang at 105 ave d'Ivry that is so reasonable and a great place. It's Laotian and within about a 20 minute walk. Don't go on Sunday, though, because it's way too crowded. They have a delicious toasted rice salad. We didn't have time to squeeze it in this time and I missed it.

Bobette
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:24 am

weezl,
Thanks for the heads-up about the train and restaurants.

b1513,
Since both you and weezl both like Cafe Daguerre, I think I am obligated to give it a try. Not too crazy about Loatian though.
Thx.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
weezl,
Thanks for the heads-up about the train and restaurants.

b1513,
Since both you and weezl both like Cafe Daguerre, I think I am obligated to give it a try. Not too crazy about Loatian though.
Thx.
Really, I would not go out of the way for this. If you are at the MRG hotel and looking for something close by, just head to Rue Daguerre and chose from the many places there, don't go with someone else's opinion. The menus are all posted and the atmosphere, fare, ambience, etc will strike you at one of them so you can then feel like you found your own favorite.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:50 pm

Really, I would not go out of the way for this. If you are at the MRG hotel and looking for something close by, just head to Rue Daguerre and chose from the many places there, don't go with someone else's opinion. The menus are all posted and the atmosphere, fare, ambience, etc will strike you at one of them so you can then feel like you found your own favorite.
Understand. Thanks.
My wife and I are foodies. When we travel, we make food as part of the traveling experience. We enjoy places where the locals frequent, as oppose to where tourists end up due to convenience (or where Rick Steve or Fodor said so).
Been to Paris more than dozen times, biz & leisure combined. Each trip, I explored different neighborhoods. As far as I know, Rue Daguerre is becoming trendy (want to be there before it gets too well known), here is one of many links to this very street for all FT consumption:
http://www.parislogue.com/places-in-...erre-chic.html
It is good be have some good dining options near the hotel. More reasons for me to plan to stay at MRG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.