Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up Black is now available!

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

I decided to finally break down and take part in this promo and when I just went to the site, it's changed - now it's a Spring theme (I guess since V-day has passed). From the site:

Choose from Romantic Red; Classic Black; Lime Green or Pink Lemonade.
Looks like you choose the color on checkout so now everyone will surely jump on the bandwagon...wonder how fast they'll run out of black

Enjoy!

-Mike
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
YEA! I'm going to make another purchase on the 26th and I definitely see a lime green one coming. OK, Maybe black.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Okay, has anyone had the bag and vacation card shipped to different addresses? (Specifically - the card shipped to a hotel and the bag shipped to the credit card billing address.)

I goofed up and drained my existing Giftcards without having another one ready to go... I'm at Marriotts all next week...
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:57 am

T&C's

Reading the T&C's it looks like these aren't good for business travel (i.e. corp rates). Are y'all really doing this much vacationing, or is this overlooked by the hotels? I asked my CY and they said they take Marriott GC's just like a credit card, and didn't seem to see the distinction between these "Vacation" GC's and the "Regular" GC's..... I don't want to be out $3K if they're not going to be accepted....
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
I haven't had a problem yet. I've only stayed at two different hotels, a RI and CY, but they have taken the vacation card just as any other gift card with no restrictions, corporate rate and all.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by holland
Reading the T&C's it looks like these aren't good for business travel (i.e. corp rates). Are y'all really doing this much vacationing, or is this overlooked by the hotels? I asked my CY and they said they take Marriott GC's just like a credit card, and didn't seem to see the distinction between these "Vacation" GC's and the "Regular" GC's..... I don't want to be out $3K if they're not going to be accepted....
I've been using them on all sorts of rates. I doubt Marriott would ever decline a giftcard based on the rate paid - that would be legally dubious and probably illegal in many states. Attys General in many areas have been cracking down on dirty giftcard practices (not Marriott - other retailers) - I don't think Marriott wants to go there. (And IME, they haven't even mentioned it. They are honoring the cards.)
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:28 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by holland
I have used these cards for the past few months on a lowly negotated below corporate rate at a Residence Inn. These are just like cash... would be shocked it they would not accept them.

William
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:13 pm

Can you use these online in any way. Say for a prepaid rate can you guarantee with this card?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I just tried to order a card and it seems Marriott is having some problems. Their gifts website is saying they can't process CCs at this time. Also, I get a runtime error when I try to access their "Samsonite" link. I guess I will have to give them a call to purchase my next card.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I just tried to order a card and it seems Marriott is having some problems. Their gifts website is saying they can't process CCs at this time. Also, I get a runtime error when I try to access their "Samsonite" link. I guess I will have to give them a call to purchase my next card.
Don't be alarmed if (a) the transaction really went through and (b) you get a phone call from the Chase fraud department.

I got the errors last week and called Marriott. They said "our system is down - try again in two hours." I then completely forgot about the gift card and never tried again.

Then, Monday, two things happened: one, I got both the Chase phone call and a shipping notification from Marriott saying my giftcard was on its way. Apparently what happened is that in all of my clicking on that site to try and fix what I first thought was my problem (wrong CC number, etc.), I inadvertently ordered a bunch of gift cards. The site kept either crashing altogether or telling me the transaction failed, so I believed it.

Everything is fine now - Marriott canceled all but one of the orders, and I do still want the one on its way to me now. The point is that you *think* you didn't successfully order a giftcard, but watch your credit card activity just in case.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Don't be alarmed if (a) the transaction really went through and (b) you get a phone call from the Chase fraud department.
I got a 'Declined' message right out of the chute. I called Chase and their menu system ran through some options to confirm or deny the most recent activity (the gift cards); after that I was able to go ahead and order the cards with no problem. It was pretty clear (in red lettering at the top of the page) that the authorization was declined.... gotta love them fraud departments.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:15 am

Well, the ongoing saga continues. Marriott has opened up their website to taking orders again. So I try and now I receive the "there is a problem with your CC and we can't authorize the transaction". And they want me to call them at an 801 area code number (toll call), I guess so I can pay for the call rather than them.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:26 am

OK, I called the 800 number to find out your gift card balance. After a couple of tries, I was able to actually talk with someone and really order my gift card. It seems my earlier tries didn't go through. So hopefully, only one charge should be coming through.

I have to admit, Marriott doesn't make this process very easy. I almost get the feeling they really don't want us to purchase those giftcards.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Well, the ongoing saga continues. Marriott has opened up their website to taking orders again. So I try and now I receive the "there is a problem with your CC and we can't authorize the transaction". And they want me to call them at an 801 area code number (toll call), I guess so I can pay for the call rather than them.
Are you calling internationally? Sometimes they have separate instructions for int'l calls - including even making a collect call. (I assume the concept of collect calling still exists, doesnt it?) It's been a while since I've called to or from a country where I had to worry about per-minute charges.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:08 pm

No, nothing international, yet.

I just thought it interesting that when I received the error message, they didn't give me a toll free number to call and verify/make the purchase. Instead the error message gave me a toll number to call, one that I would have had to pay the cost on.

But I was able to dig around their website and find a toll-free number to call and, I think, everything has now been ordered and will be shipped. The kids decided they wanted the Lime green bag, so I can't wait to see how it looks up close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.