Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
I've already booked 3 award nights in May. Pointsaver rate = only 41K. Thanks to the incentives from the Signature credit card and the Netbank signed ups, it's almost free!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
The posts here are making it hard for me to assess which is better for a first time HK tourist: REN HV or Kowloon? Has anyone stayed in both hotels since recent renovations who can comment in terms of:

-the view? (is REN HV better?)
-safety? (is REN HV better?)
-things to do during the day?
-things to do at night? (REN HV closer to LGF?)
-shopping? (is REN Kowloon right next to a mall?)
-food? (is Kowloon worse?)
-comfort/bed? (does REN HV have hard beds? or all RENs?)

As always, thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
The rooms have incredible views of the harbour but the furniture is a bit dated.
Have they been upgrading? When I was there in Nov of 2005, I didn't find the furniture dated. I had a nice harbour view room on one of the concierge floors.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:10 pm

Angry Service charge costs almost the same as the room rate

I did a random award search, the Kowloon Ren shows up for a point saver award. But what's up with the service charge? Is this new?

"Marriott Rewards PointSavers, Superior room, 1 queen or 2 twin, guest has to pay $150 service charge per night
Marriott Rewards Redemption Available Extra hotel charges (meals,etc.) will be added to your credit card."

FYI, the room cost only $167 on that day!!!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
I believe that is 150HK Dollars...about $20US/day.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Most Marriott hotels in HK and China charge a service fee for award stays.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by CBrokaw
I believe that is 150HK Dollars...about $20US/day.
That's better!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
The posts here are making it hard for me to assess which is better for a first time HK tourist: REN HV or Kowloon? Has anyone stayed in both hotels since recent renovations who can comment in terms of:

-the view? (is REN HV better?)
-safety? (is REN HV better?)
-things to do during the day?
-things to do at night? (REN HV closer to LGF?)
-shopping? (is REN Kowloon right next to a mall?)
-food? (is Kowloon worse?)
-comfort/bed? (does REN HV have hard beds? or all RENs?)

As always, thanks!
- View is great from the Kowloon property. In-fact the lounge has a fantastic panorama view of the bay and HK proper.
- There is a mall attached (kind of) to the Kowloon property and of course you have all of the el-cheapo knock offs in the vacinity
-There are some GREAT places to eat in kowloon. (Jimmy's Kitchen comes to mind)

One warning though: When walking around the waterfront DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with any of the "Copy watch" or " need a suit" guys. They are fairly harmless but will follow you for blocks. If you make no eye contact they go away ...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:43 am

Marriott in Hong Kong

I have to spend a night in Hong Kong in both directions on my coming trip to Beijing. Right now, I'm at the Renaissance Kowloon.

Due to the changes in the Hong Kong airport, some of the maps appear to be out of date.

Is this the closest Marriott to the HKG airport? What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and vice versa? How long will it take?

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Yes, this is the closest Marriott to the HKG airport. This is on Kowloon side. The other 2 Marriott properties (the JW and the Ren Harbour View) are both on HK side, and are further away.

The Ren Kowloon is about a 35 minute hotel car or taxi ride (depending on the time of day and traffic, it can be longer). Or you can take the shuttle bus to the Airport Express train. Less expensive, and the train portion is quick (22 minutes) and comfortable. But the shuttle portion is a little unpredicatable, again depending on the time of day. I don't mind during the day, but if I come in at night after a long flight, I arrange the hotel car in advance.

The only hotel very close to the airport is the Regal Airport Hotel, which is located at the airport. The location is unbeatable for a quick in and out overnight stay. I have stayed there a few times, but will not stay there again. When it first opened, it was well priced and being new, was nice. It is not so cheap now, and I think they let it run down very quickly.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:02 pm

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
I agree with the other response. The Ren Kowloon is the right Marriott property to stay if you are in HK for one night. The lounge is pretty good, better than average gym (you can get access 24hrs if needed) and the location in TST is great for walking around to get rid of all that stored up flight energy.

I'm there right now getting ready for an early flight to the states tomorrow. Now that there's a Starbucks in the attached mall, I'll be able to stay up all night with decent coffee.

My only complaint concerns the lack of an overnight laundry service.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MW147
The only hotel very close to the airport is the Regal Airport Hotel, which is located at the airport. The location is unbeatable for a quick in and out overnight stay. I have stayed there a few times, but will not stay there again. When it first opened, it was well priced and being new, was nice. It is not so cheap now, and I think they let it run down very quickly.
Slightly off topic, but there is now one more real airport hotel apart from the Regal. The Novotel Citygate is right there at the airport as well, as, although 'only' a Novotel, is really the place to be if one wants to stay right at the airport.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
We just booked an award stay at the Kowloon Ren for early next year, and I noticed that the HKD$150/nt fee for award stays was not shown when I made the booking. Is this still in effect or did the fee go away when Marriott raised the category?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ak333
We just booked an award stay at the Kowloon Ren for early next year, and I noticed that the HKD$150/nt fee for award stays was not shown when I made the booking. Is this still in effect or did the fee go away when Marriott raised the category?
Where was the source of HK$150/nite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.