Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Early checkin experience at Hong Kong properties?

Do any of you have experiences with morning arrivals at any of the Hong Kong properties (JW, Renaissance Harbour, or NW Ren)?
- Are they pretty good in allowing guests check in early?
- Do they let elites hang out in the concierge lounge until the room is ready?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Only one I've personally stayed at in HKG is the JW, but I'm 99% sure if they have a room available they will allow you into it (that's the key -not always available) and 99% sure they will allow you into the lounge (assuming you're entitled to it as a Plat or Gold) when you arrive, even if the room is not available.

A lot of times, the better (read: international) hotels will pre-block a premium room for plats. That room has LESS of a chance of being ready early. So you may be faced with the decision of waiting for a better room or checking into a less disireable room. Always ask what kind of a room was reserved and what they are moving you into.

My advice: Make the early arrival known on the reservation AND call the hotel just before you depart, and let them know you will be arriving early and about what time. If the city you arrive in has a airport lounge or arrivals facility, go there first and take a shower and call the hotel. If the room isn't available, take your time at the facility.

Also, many of these hotels have great showers in the pool area. If your room isn't available, avail your self of the pool shower.

Hope this helps.

Billy
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:39 pm

Thanks, that's just what I was expecting.

Not many airlines in HKG have arrivals facilities, so at the very least, I should be able to use the lounge if the room's not yet ready.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I had no problem at the JW for a 10 am check in -- got an suite upgrade too.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:25 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
HKG JW or Ren?

My wife and I are headed to BKK and HKG in February. We are doing this trip as a total awards trip, using my AA miles to fly on CX in J and using my MR points for hotels. In BKK we are staying at the JW where I have been many times and enjoy. In HKG, right now we are confirmed at the New World Ren. in Kowloon.

We have been to HKG many times and have only stayed at the Regent/Intercontinental when we travel together. Our original thought was that the New World is right next door to the Intercontinental, so we would feel pretty much at home there. Do you think it's worth moving to the JW on the Hong Kong side? I have only been in the lobby there, so I have no first hand knowledge of the rooms and facilites. Although we like staying on the Kowloon side, it could be fun to try something new although obviously a cat 6 would cost us more points than the cat 4. ???
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
just stayed at both. jw is very nice, great location with great view. the quantity and quality of food in the executive lounge is awesome. ren kowloon was fine as well. it is apparently under renovation from the top-down. the exec level hallways were markedly newer and nicer looking than the non-exec levels, which had yet to be renovated. that said, my non-exec room was perfectly nice as well. the ren has a very nice gym on the top exec level across from the lounge, complete with putting green. can't go wrong with either one. i would base my decision strictly on which neighborhood i want, as the hotels are both good.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:22 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=hkg
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Since you like Kowloon and the Ren is a very nice property, I recommend staying there, saving the extra points and go have tea at the JW. If you are really interested, ask them to show you a room so you know for next time. Or if you do this on the first day and if you have energy left, you can always ask to transfer your reservation to the JW (for more points, if available) and stay there...

or depending on your length of stay... split it between the JW and the Ren

Enjoy HKG and don't forget to have pizza in Sai Kung (trust me)
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Enjoy HKG and don't forget to have pizza in Sai Kung (trust me)
O.K. you've sparked my interest. Sai Kung has the best seafood places on the planet. This pizza must be unbelievable for you to have made the choice. Details!!!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: NW PE, Marriott GE, HHonors Gold, *wood Gold, Priority Club, Hertz 5*, Avis Wizard
Ditto on the details. Having just been to HKG I am dying to know what I missed!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Go all the way to HK for pizza? Thats like going to to New York for curry.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:56 pm

Programs: NW PE, Marriott GE, HHonors Gold, *wood Gold, Priority Club, Hertz 5*, Avis Wizard
Originally Posted by tfong007
Go all the way to HK for pizza? Thats like going to to New York for curry.
What? You can't get good curry in NYC? You need to know where to look.

Try Maharaja, on 37th Avenue between 74th St and 75th St (Jackson Heights).
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
Jw

go with the JW and get it one priceline at around $125 (see www.biddingfortravel.com)
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by hershmeister
go with the JW and get it one priceline at around $125 (see www.biddingfortravel.com)
The OP was doing an all award based trip.

My wife and I just stayed at the Grand Hyatt across from the Renn Harbor View. I toured the JW because I was curious. It seems like a very nice hotel. If you don't mind taking the ferry/MTR to Kowloon it seemed like a very nice hotel...
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm going to save a few points and stay at the New World Ren.

As many times as I've been to HKG, I don't think I've ever had pizza there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.