Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2002, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
If I remember right, it is in the same building than the Grand Hyatt. Imho the Grand Hyatt is way more classy but the Ren is a very good hotel too. Good choice of restaurants, good access to Wan Chai Star Ferry Pier.

Muerz
Old Apr 27, 2002, 2:57 pm

Programs: Many
I stayed there last May on an award stay. For being classified as only a 4 in Marriott Rewards, I thought it wasn't a bad value. It does share part of the property, esp the pool deck, with the Grand Hyatt. The JW Marriott is near the Shangri-La, and the JW does indeed seem the tops of the 3 Marriott properties. The New World looked a but run down when I saw it, by comparison, and it always seems quite a bit cheaper when I'm checking HKG rates.
Old May 1, 2002, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Wanted to thank all who responded ... good information and thanksalot!

V
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:43 am

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Can someone post the "dummies" version of getting from the airport to the JW Marriott? It appears to be a mix of trains and busses...unless I am confused.

Thanks
Jeff
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:08 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

O.K.

take the airport express to central station.
get off there and get in a taxi to j.w.$5.00 cab ride 5 minutes.
You can wait for the free shuttle bus but after a long flight I just take a cab.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:20 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Thanks Pete
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:39 pm
Patron

The quickest, most efficient way to get to Hong Kong Island in the Central District is via the sleek Airport Express Line, which is straight ahead after passing customs and entering the arrivals hall. Airport Express trains (10 minute intervals) run 24 minutes to Hong Kong station (round trip: HK$ 180,--). If you do not like to wait for the free H1 shuttle bus service (20 minute intervals) you could either take a cab or – I do not recommend this option - you could walk to MTR Island Line Central Station, travel one station to Admirality and walk to JW Marriott Hotel.

Another option which I usually choose if I am travelling with a carry on baggage only is choosing a “S” bus route to Tung Chung MTR Station (one way: around HK$ 4,--) than on the MTR Tung Chung Line to Hong Kong Station, walk from there to MTR Island Line Central Station, travel one station to Admirality (one way HK$ 20,1 with Octopus Card) and walk to JW Marriott Hotel.

At Customer Service Centres at Airport Express Stations or MTR Stations there is the Airport Express Tourist Octopus card available. This a specially-designed smart card for all tourists, programmed with one (HK$ 220,--) or two Airport Express journey(s) (HK$ 300,--) and three days of unlimited MTR rides.

Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Hong Kong Rennaisance

There are two properties in Hong Kong -- Harbour View and New World. Anybody got any recent experiences at these hotels? I'm making a $700 UA mileage run from IAD and don't want to offset my air savings by staying at the JW. Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed at the Harbour View Renaissance in June 2001 for just a day. It's a bit off the beaten path but not in a bad neighborhood. You can get there on the bus from the airport train station in Kowloon. As I recall, the bus is free.

I've never stayed at the other Renaissance. I have stayed at the JW Marriott, which is fabulous. If the price difference isn't too great, I would recommend it.

Bruce
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Thanks for the info Bruce. Think maybe I'll use a reward for the JW. I noticed that the New World also is good for summer point saver award. But most Flyer Talkers seem to rave about the JW.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
...the Harbour View Renaissance...get there on the bus from the airport train station in Kowloon...</font>
The Renaissance Harbour View is on the Hong Kong Island side, whilst the New World Renaissance is on the Kowloon side. You can access both hotels via the complimentary shuttle at the Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express stations, respectively.

The Renaissance Harbour View is a nicer hotel, with over 40 floors whilst the New World Renaissance is only about 20 floors. There are excutive lounges at both hotels, but the executive floor accommodations are much nicer at the Harbour View (being newer), also the executive lounge spans two floors at the Harbour View. Jane at the lounge is one of the most useful person at the hotel and I recommend going to her for any matters.

The New World is older, but executive floors have exclusive elevators. Accommodations are older (early-80's) but are more spacious, especially the bathrooms. One more caveat about the New World: the hotel currently is having a construction/renovation on the exterior, so it might not be the greatest place to stay. Also, in the vicinity of the hotel there is road/rail construction going on, so access can get very messy. It's in a great location (right next to the HK I-C and across from the Pen and Sheraton) but there's just a bit too much going on right now, so I would aviod.

Both hotels are located at near the harbour, with the Harbour View commanding a better view (unobstructed). The Harbour View also shares pool/tennis facilities with the Grand Hyatt. All in all, youa re looking at about $700 for Harbour View and about $500 for New World. The JW is up one class from both hotels and is in a VERY convenient location at Pacific Place.

I regularly use all three hotels and find them sufficient for all needs. If you are staying for just one/two nights and don't plan to be in your room a lot, the Harbour View or New World would suffice. JW is my recommended property under Marriott, however. But if you are paying $1400 for the JW, I would go for the Conrad.

If you are Gold+ elite in MR, you would be treated very well at Harbour View and JW.

[This message has been edited by jkc22 (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
For the sake of executive lounge access, I recommend Harbour View, as the morning and evening selections are much more elaborate than the New World.

Morning "Continental" breakfast you will have smoked salmon, cold cuts, eggs and meats, cereals and yoghurt, and fruits.

Afternoon tea selections include pastries, cakes, fruits, as well as finger sandwiches.

Evening cocktail selections include pastries, desserts, sushi, cold cuts, and soup. Note that ALL alcoholic drinks are free in the excutive lounge.

I am certain you will like the Harbour View much more than the New World. The JW executive lounge is similar, but even better.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Oops!!! Big error! I was on the Kowloon side in June 2001, so obviously I was staying at the New World Renaissance, not the Harbour View, as I thought. Anyway, as I said above, nothing too special about it. I still recommend the JW Marriott, where I am CERTAIN I have stayed, several times.

Bruce
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:00 am

I second the motion that J.W.Marriott in Hong Kong is excellent compared to that of the two Renaissance Hotels.

The other hotel I like is the Sheraton Hotel & Towers. The newly renovated rooms are excellent.

One negative about the J.W.Marriott in HKG is that the mattress is very hard compared to that of Sheraton HKG.

Has anyone else experienced the hard mattress at the J.W.Marriott in HKG?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
JW Marriott Hong Kong

Hi -- I will be staying the the Hong Kong JW for the first time next week, and searched for trip reports on this forum, but found very little. Not sure what search terms to use besides the terms I used in the subject line above. Anyone know where I can find some detailed trip reports, or can anyone write about their opinions on the HKG JW, especially when compared to the Conrad (where I have stayed previously).

Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.