FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Bonus bucks questions and issues [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/528273-bonus-bucks-questions-issues-merged-threads.html)

BruceWG Jul 6, 2004 1:49 pm

I have used the OTP rate several times this summer (love the promotion!). I've even broken a couple of four night stays into two, two-night stays at different locations (same city) to aquire two bonus bucks (i.e. Thursday/Friday at first location, Saturday/Sunday at second). I have had no problem using a bonus buck from a previous stay on a stay where I get a new bonus buck - I just tell them when I hand it over that it's NOT the one they gave me on check in. Half the time they give it out on check out so we "swap" bonus bucks!

Bruce

bdschobel Jul 6, 2004 4:11 pm

Ditto.

Bruce (another one!)

Counsellor Jul 11, 2004 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer
What's a certificate stay? is that an award stay, or is that a stay that earns a certificate like a future bonus buck?

I believe a "certificate stay" refers to those "2 for 1" certificates in the EEO packets. I know they have declined to accept Bonus Bucks on a two-night stay where I used the 2-for-one certificate.

fireworksboy Jul 11, 2004 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I believe a "certificate stay" refers to those "2 for 1" certificates in the EEO packets. I know they have declined to accept Bonus Bucks on a two-night stay where I used the 2-for-one certificate.

I thought that you COULD use the bonus bucks while using the "2 for 1" elite certificates!? I remember seeing it somewhere in FT, maybe socrates or Chris can clarify. :confused:

bdschobel Jul 11, 2004 1:11 pm

I have used both the EEO and Bonus Bucks certificates on a 3-day stay, but not a 2-day stay. It seems reasonable to use both on a 3-day stay. The Bonus Bucks one is good on the two paid days, and the EEO cert is good for the third day. But technically, I believe that using both may violate the rules.

Bruce

NJUPINTHEAIR Jul 11, 2004 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I have used both the EEO and Bonus Bucks certificates on a 3-day stay, but not a 2-day stay. It seems reasonable to use both on a 3-day stay. The Bonus Bucks one is good on the two paid days, and the EEO cert is good for the third day. But technically, I believe that using both may violate the rules.

Bruce

I am in agreement with Counsellor on this one -- and not because we are both attorneys -- but because using the 2 for 1 Cert is a certificate stay, and this is clearly exempted from use with the $100 bonus bucks cert.

That is not to say that you wiill not be allowed to use both in one stay -- as it clearly is up to the hotel whether or not to do so, since it appears that many of the hotels have written their own "rules" with respect to this promotion, at least in connection with the time that they provide you with the $100 bonus bucks, but I would certainly be prepared for a "No" answer from the front desk if you wer to try to use both in one stay.

It certainly is permissible to use a $100 bonus bucks Cert on an OTP stay of 2 days, and it is certainly permissible to use a 2 for 1 Cert on an OTP stay of 2 days, but it is highly questionable that you will be able to use BOTH a $100 Bonus Bucks CERT and your 2 for 1 EEO CERT on an OTP rate, or any other rate for that matter, as I believe each of the CERTS in question, specifically exclude the use of another CERT for the same reservation.

YMMV, and you are well within your rights to attempt to do this -- I have no control over what you may wish to do -- I only wish to warn you that you likely will not meet with any success -- if the Front Desk person is a stickler for the rules of both promotions, that's all.

bigguyinpasadena Dec 14, 2004 4:36 pm

Hmmmmm-I don't think so-no MR points for use of Bonus bucks?

I thought BB's were treated just like cash.Yet I find that I am not receiving full credit on all stays that I have used bonus bucks-called MR and was told that I do not get points on the part of the rate covered by a BB-but I remember seeing it posted here that I should,,,,,oooooo my brain hurts,,,,,
Any solid answers?

bdschobel Dec 14, 2004 8:14 pm

I always got points for my Bonus Bucks usage. Then in September, at the Pere Marquette Renaissance in New Orleans, they told me I would not. I left a note of complaint to the manager, who sent me a letter saying that Bonus Bucks don't get points. That was news to me, but maybe it was a change in policy -- or a clarification.

Bruce

cndij Dec 14, 2004 8:24 pm

I have gotten mixed results, but seem to do better by presenting them at checkout instead of checkin. Seems to have something to do with the way they post the credit.

ohmark Dec 14, 2004 8:43 pm

Chris says you get points when using bonus bucks

Here's what Chris posted in an earlier thread: "Bonus Bucks are considered cash when it comes to paying for a stay. Therefore, you are entitled to receive credit provided you give your Rewards number at the time of reservations and at check in."
Chris

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337551

zakami Dec 14, 2004 10:28 pm

My stays using BBs post just fine usually with points credit for every $ spent. They have not a couple of times, but I have simply faxed in my receipt like any other stay.

bigguyinpasadena Dec 15, 2004 6:28 am

Bruce,it was the Pere Marquette that I was questioning also.

cndij Dec 16, 2004 3:04 am

I stayed at Pere Marquette over Thanksgiving weekend, presented bonus bucks at checkout and got credit for entire bill. I really have found it better to turn them in at checkout. Then they are applied like cash to the bill, otherwise, there are multiple ways they credit them, some of which may not get you points.

bdschobel Dec 16, 2004 6:30 am

I use that approach, too, for a variety of reasons. But it didn't work at Pere Marquette on September 19. The front-desk clerk worked very hard to post the Bonus Buck (just one) in a way that did not earn MR points. When I complained, I was told (later) that MR in SLC had confirmed the correctness of that procedure. Then they gave me 1000 bonus points for all my trouble, which was nice.

Bruce

TxLobo Dec 18, 2004 9:34 am

Bonus Bucks are AWESOME

I just tell them that I will be using BB's and if they insist that I hand them over immediately, I ask that they be posted immediately. (basically they are CASH and I want a receipt). If they post them as a cash pmt. you will get full points credit if they post them as a rebate you get partial credit for your stay.

My preference is to give them upon checking out, as I often get asked how many I have and often get to use more than 1 per 2 nights stay. ^