FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1925833-rewards-rate-lowers-can-i-get-points-back.html)

MD/DC Flyer Aug 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jmkclee (Post 30107291)
Has anyone had success on the Starwood side? Got a res for next month at Gritti Palace for the equivalent of 315,000 pts. Now it’s 180,000. I’d love those 125k pts back!

Once my accounts were combined I had enough points to make a new reservation.

But don't do what I did and cancelled the old one once I got the new one - the 375,000 points were never put back at the account and are in some limbo state I guess.

Nazdoom Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sabre31_98 (Post 30106951)
I did this just using Modify and had the refunded points back into my account instantly. No phone call needed.

I was already upgraded based on status and relationship and would have lost the upgrade in advance in that process

slariz Aug 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 30107797)
Once my accounts were combined I had enough points to make a new reservation.

But don't do what I did and cancelled the old one once I got the new one - the 375,000 points were never put back at the account and are in some limbo state I guess.

I’ve got the same problem but I don’t have enough extra points to rebook. And I’m worried availability will dry up before the points get redeposited. Have you tried reaching out to SPG at all? I’ve called and used Twitter to no avail. They have no answers - and I don’t have any of my points.

bitterproffit Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by BobNoxious (Post 30105570)
Had a reservation for 3 nights at 40,000/night. Now i see it is 35,000 per night. Went into view/modify. Edit. Chose the same room for 35,000/night. Received 15,000 instantly in my account. Reservation number stayed the same.

I did this on two reservations (both Marriott properties) tonight based upon your advice. It was really quick and the 12500 points were immediately credited back. Thanks for this information.

CPRich Aug 20, 2018 9:42 pm

The new platform is the old Marriott platform, so I'm not surprised it works as it always has.

SPG has been ported/converted from their old platform to Marriotts, so I'm not surprised that didn't work.

I'd advise any retroactive/non-standard changes on the SPG side be handled by phone.

porciuscato Aug 21, 2018 12:36 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 30106493)
Did you do this on the Starwood or the Marriott website? I attempted it on the Starwood site and it was a fail.

I've tried it multiple times on the SPG side and every time it takes me to a login screen, which then fails to log me in (with any combination of old/new IDs).

margarita girl Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30101159)
Actually, the only thing you need to do is KEEP your confirmation in case they do try to deduct the new point level and DO NOT make any modification to your reservation. This is typical for any rate detail. The issue being they typically use a rate code to link a reservation to the text. So whenever there is a rate description change they only need to change one place and have it filter down. Every report I've read of this happening the property has honored the original rate. HOWEVER, if you make a change to the rez after the change goes into effect, they basically cancel the original reservation and book a new one, in which you are stuck with the new rate.

I've just discovered that Marriott does not confirm the number of points required on the confirmation for award bookings. :rolleyes:

rustykettel Aug 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30109932)
I've just discovered that Marriott does not confirm the number of points required on the confirmation for award bookings. :rolleyes:

Me too. Hotel has gone up from 45k per night to 60k.