FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1925833-rewards-rate-lowers-can-i-get-points-back.html)

gldwebs Aug 18, 2018 8:17 am

Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back

I have a stay in October that I booked a month ago for 120000 points. This morning I saw that the exact same stay on points is now 80000. Can I call them up to get the new rate?

Let me throw a little wrinkle in there - the points booking had a cancelation policy of no cancelations 24 hours after booking (which I've never seen before) .

imverge Aug 18, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, you will have to call to get the lower rate.

CPRich Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am

I'm curious - what property? I can't find any Marriott property where the new award level is 2/3 the old award level.

The cancellation policy may be an issue. Either way - try calling Tueday after the conversion has completed. Or in a couple of weeks after the avalanche of calls subside, if you're not in a hurry.

aacharya Aug 18, 2018 12:23 pm

I would wait until after the weekend to do this.

But if the original one was 120K, cancellations allowed, book the new one and cancel the other one online.

Baze Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 30097746)
I would wait until after the weekend to do this.

But if the original one was 120K, cancellations allowed, book the new one and cancel the other one online.

Look at the OP's second paragraph.

GoSh4rks Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 30097587)
I'm curious - what property? I can't find any Marriott property where the new award level is 2/3 the old award level.

W Bali is one. 90k->60k

peroorim Aug 18, 2018 6:50 pm

I actually had an award reservation with points advance, so no points used yet. Since than I have accumulated enough points but haven’t called to attach a certificate since I knew that it is going down from 30 K to 25 K
A few hours ago, I noticed that they automatically redeemed 30 K points from my account for this reservation while the hotel is showing up for 25 K points now.
My date is no longer available with points for that date, so I can’t just cancel and rebook

RogerD408 Aug 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by peroorim (Post 30098860)
I actually had an award reservation with points advance, so no points used yet. Since than I have accumulated enough points but haven’t called to attach a certificate since I knew that it is going down from 30 K to 25 K
A few hours ago, I noticed that they automatically redeemed 30 K points from my account for this reservation while the hotel is showing up for 25 K points now.
My date is no longer available with points for that date, so I can’t just cancel and rebook

The directions are to call in and make the request for the adjustment. I suggest waiting a few days, if you can, to let things calm down and the CSRs learn how to do it in the new program. They they say no, thank them for their time and call back in hoping for a better agent.

bgabbard1 Aug 19, 2018 8:40 am

I have the opposite issue as OP. I made a reservation (with a points advance) for a resort which had a 40K redemption fee per night. The property has since increased to 50K points per night. Now when I look at my reservation it says I need 50K points per night. Anyone think I have a chance to contact Marriott to lower to the rate I agreed upon at the time of reservation?

jakers3200 Aug 19, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by bgabbard1 (Post 30100846)
I have the opposite issue as OP. I made a reservation (with a points advance) for a resort which had a 40K redemption fee per night. The property has since increased to 50K points per night. Now when I look at my reservation it says I need 50K points per night. Anyone think I have a chance to contact Marriott to lower to the rate I agreed upon at the time of reservation?

just got off the phone with Marriott. After one hour, they told me that Marriott would honor the original rate (after initially saying they would not), but they can't do it today. They suggested I call tomorrow to handle it. The CSR made a note on my account so that they know to honor the original rate.

No no idea if this is a 1-day glitch and I wasted an hour, or if the rates really are going up for existing rewards reservations and I staved it off with the extended call today.

RogerD408 Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by bgabbard1 (Post 30100846)

Actually, the only thing you need to do is KEEP your confirmation in case they do try to deduct the new point level and DO NOT make any modification to your reservation. This is typical for any rate detail. The issue being they typically use a rate code to link a reservation to the text. So whenever there is a rate description change they only need to change one place and have it filter down. Every report I've read of this happening the property has honored the original rate. HOWEVER, if you make a change to the rez after the change goes into effect, they basically cancel the original reservation and book a new one, in which you are stuck with the new rate.

peroorim Aug 19, 2018 11:54 am

I called today and sorted things out over the phone quickly

CPRich Aug 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 30098351)
W Bali is one. 90k->60k

W Bali was not a Marriott property. I'm aware of the 3 SPG properties that dropped 90=>60.

I assumed OP was posting in the Marriott forum because it was a Marriott property

OssianBlue Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30101159)
Actually, the only thing you need to do is KEEP your confirmation in case they do try to deduct the new point level and DO NOT make any modification to your reservation. This is typical for any rate detail. The issue being they typically use a rate code to link a reservation to the text. So whenever there is a rate description change they only need to change one place and have it filter down. Every report I've read of this happening the property has honored the original rate. HOWEVER, if you make a change to the rez after the change goes into effect, they basically cancel the original reservation and book a new one, in which you are stuck with the new rate.

Looks like Marriott is NOT intending on honoring Points Advance rates that did not have certs ordered.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55447

RogerD408 Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue (Post 30104959)
Looks like Marriott is NOT intending on honoring Points Advance rates that did not have certs ordered.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55447

Marriott bad (tell me something new)... Given the number of times CSRs have given wrong info, I wouldn't be surprised if this changes once things settle out. If you've got time before your stay, I suggest waiting maybe a week and call in to see where things stand.

kaw753 Aug 20, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30105003)
Marriott bad (tell me something new)... Given the number of times CSRs have given wrong info, I wouldn't be surprised if this changes once things settle out. If you've got time before your stay, I suggest waiting maybe a week and call in to see where things stand.

I now have this issue and the points are sitting in my account. I would have had them deducted if they had mentioned it, but I asked "will they be honouring the old rates if I book before August 1st" in a previous thread and they said all is fine.

RogerD408 Aug 20, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by kaw753 (Post 30105298)
I now have this issue and the points are sitting in my account. I would have had them deducted if they had mentioned it, but I asked "will they be honouring the old rates if I book before August 1st" in a previous thread and they said all is fine.

Is the stay imminent? If not, wait and call back in once things settle out. There's a good chance you will get a better informed CSR. Too many are willing to say no without doing the research.

jakers3200 Aug 20, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by kaw753 (Post 30105298)

I remember that thread. Do you have a link?

porciuscato Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am

I made the unfortunate mistake of cancelling a reservation on Aug 19 in an attempt to re-book at the lower rate. The reservation cancelled, but the points never went back. CSR was not able to solve it today and had to send email to hotel......

BobNoxious Aug 20, 2018 10:18 am

Had a reservation for 3 nights at 40,000/night. Now i see it is 35,000 per night. Went into view/modify. Edit. Chose the same room for 35,000/night. Received 15,000 instantly in my account. Reservation number stayed the same.

slariz Aug 20, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 30105383)
I made the unfortunate mistake of cancelling a reservation on Aug 19 in an attempt to re-book at the lower rate. The reservation cancelled, but the points never went back. CSR was not able to solve it today and had to send email to hotel......

I'm in the same situation, points still have not returned. I've reached out via phone and online to no avail. I hope the points are returned soon while there's still availability. Only response I keep getting is check status.marriott.com but there's really no usable info there.

bosman Aug 20, 2018 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BobNoxious (Post 30105570)
Had a reservation for 3 nights at 40,000/night. Now i see it is 35,000 per night. Went into view/modify. Edit. Chose the same room for 35,000/night. Received 15,000 instantly in my account. Reservation number stayed the same.

Great tip! Just did the same. Amazed they made it so easy.

SanDiego1K Aug 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Did you do this on the Starwood or the Marriott website? I attempted it on the Starwood site and it was a fail.

slariz Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 30106493)
Did you do this on the Starwood or the Marriott website? I attempted it on the Starwood site and it was a fail.

Be careful if doing it on the Starwood side - I attempted this yesterday and ended up with a canceled reservation and no points redeposited. Been attempting to get the points back since to no avail in order to rebook. Pretty frustrating.

UA-NYC Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Same - the re-login process tripped me up

Nazdoom Aug 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I have a reservation for Aug 22 at 80000 points, hotel is now re-priced at 50000 due to Aug 18 changes. Ecertificate had already been attached / 80k deducted from my account.

Called platinum reservation line and was instantly helped. Agent couldn't change the points on the ecertificate so she gave me the points difference as a goodwill points bonus.

One step closer to lifetime status (goodwill points count, right?)!
​​​

versace991 Aug 20, 2018 2:47 pm

call in and they will cancel the ordered certificate and order you a new cerficiate.

sabre31_98 Aug 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom (Post 30106795)
I have a reservation for Aug 22 at 80000 points, hotel is now re-priced at 50000 due to Aug 18 changes. Ecertificate had already been attached / 80k deducted from my account.

Called platinum reservation line and was instantly helped. Agent couldn't change the points on the ecertificate so she gave me the points difference as a goodwill points bonus.

One step closer to lifetime status (goodwill points count, right?)!
​​​

I did this just using Modify and had the refunded points back into my account instantly. No phone call needed.

jmkclee Aug 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Has anyone had success on the Starwood side? Got a res for next month at Gritti Palace for the equivalent of 315,000 pts. Now it’s 180,000. I’d love those 125k pts back!

UA-NYC Aug 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jmkclee (Post 30107291)
Has anyone had success on the Starwood side? Got a res for next month at Gritti Palace for the equivalent of 315,000 pts. Now it’s 180,000. I’d love those 125k pts back!

Not working on Starwood side yet

MD/DC Flyer Aug 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jmkclee (Post 30107291)

Once my accounts were combined I had enough points to make a new reservation.

But don't do what I did and cancelled the old one once I got the new one - the 375,000 points were never put back at the account and are in some limbo state I guess.

Nazdoom Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sabre31_98 (Post 30106951)
I did this just using Modify and had the refunded points back into my account instantly. No phone call needed.

I was already upgraded based on status and relationship and would have lost the upgrade in advance in that process

slariz Aug 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer (Post 30107797)
Once my accounts were combined I had enough points to make a new reservation.

But don't do what I did and cancelled the old one once I got the new one - the 375,000 points were never put back at the account and are in some limbo state I guess.

I’ve got the same problem but I don’t have enough extra points to rebook. And I’m worried availability will dry up before the points get redeposited. Have you tried reaching out to SPG at all? I’ve called and used Twitter to no avail. They have no answers - and I don’t have any of my points.

bitterproffit Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I did this on two reservations (both Marriott properties) tonight based upon your advice. It was really quick and the 12500 points were immediately credited back. Thanks for this information.

CPRich Aug 20, 2018 9:42 pm

The new platform is the old Marriott platform, so I'm not surprised it works as it always has.

SPG has been ported/converted from their old platform to Marriotts, so I'm not surprised that didn't work.

I'd advise any retroactive/non-standard changes on the SPG side be handled by phone.

porciuscato Aug 21, 2018 12:36 am

I've tried it multiple times on the SPG side and every time it takes me to a login screen, which then fails to log me in (with any combination of old/new IDs).

margarita girl Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30101159)

I've just discovered that Marriott does not confirm the number of points required on the confirmation for award bookings. :rolleyes:

rustykettel Aug 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30109932)
I've just discovered that Marriott does not confirm the number of points required on the confirmation for award bookings. :rolleyes:

Me too. Hotel has gone up from 45k per night to 60k.