FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1925833-rewards-rate-lowers-can-i-get-points-back.html)

gldwebs Aug 18, 2018 8:17 am

Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back

I have a stay in October that I booked a month ago for 120000 points. This morning I saw that the exact same stay on points is now 80000. Can I call them up to get the new rate?

Let me throw a little wrinkle in there - the points booking had a cancelation policy of no cancelations 24 hours after booking (which I've never seen before) .

imverge Aug 18, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, you will have to call to get the lower rate.

CPRich Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am

I'm curious - what property? I can't find any Marriott property where the new award level is 2/3 the old award level.

The cancellation policy may be an issue. Either way - try calling Tueday after the conversion has completed. Or in a couple of weeks after the avalanche of calls subside, if you're not in a hurry.

aacharya Aug 18, 2018 12:23 pm

I would wait until after the weekend to do this.

But if the original one was 120K, cancellations allowed, book the new one and cancel the other one online.

Baze Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 30097746)
I would wait until after the weekend to do this.

But if the original one was 120K, cancellations allowed, book the new one and cancel the other one online.

Look at the OP's second paragraph.

GoSh4rks Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 30097587)
I'm curious - what property? I can't find any Marriott property where the new award level is 2/3 the old award level.

W Bali is one. 90k->60k

peroorim Aug 18, 2018 6:50 pm

I actually had an award reservation with points advance, so no points used yet. Since than I have accumulated enough points but haven’t called to attach a certificate since I knew that it is going down from 30 K to 25 K
A few hours ago, I noticed that they automatically redeemed 30 K points from my account for this reservation while the hotel is showing up for 25 K points now.
My date is no longer available with points for that date, so I can’t just cancel and rebook

RogerD408 Aug 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by peroorim (Post 30098860)
I actually had an award reservation with points advance, so no points used yet. Since than I have accumulated enough points but haven’t called to attach a certificate since I knew that it is going down from 30 K to 25 K
A few hours ago, I noticed that they automatically redeemed 30 K points from my account for this reservation while the hotel is showing up for 25 K points now.
My date is no longer available with points for that date, so I can’t just cancel and rebook

The directions are to call in and make the request for the adjustment. I suggest waiting a few days, if you can, to let things calm down and the CSRs learn how to do it in the new program. They they say no, thank them for their time and call back in hoping for a better agent.

bgabbard1 Aug 19, 2018 8:40 am

I have the opposite issue as OP. I made a reservation (with a points advance) for a resort which had a 40K redemption fee per night. The property has since increased to 50K points per night. Now when I look at my reservation it says I need 50K points per night. Anyone think I have a chance to contact Marriott to lower to the rate I agreed upon at the time of reservation?

jakers3200 Aug 19, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by bgabbard1 (Post 30100846)
I have the opposite issue as OP. I made a reservation (with a points advance) for a resort which had a 40K redemption fee per night. The property has since increased to 50K points per night. Now when I look at my reservation it says I need 50K points per night. Anyone think I have a chance to contact Marriott to lower to the rate I agreed upon at the time of reservation?

just got off the phone with Marriott. After one hour, they told me that Marriott would honor the original rate (after initially saying they would not), but they can't do it today. They suggested I call tomorrow to handle it. The CSR made a note on my account so that they know to honor the original rate.

No no idea if this is a 1-day glitch and I wasted an hour, or if the rates really are going up for existing rewards reservations and I staved it off with the extended call today.

RogerD408 Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by bgabbard1 (Post 30100846)

Actually, the only thing you need to do is KEEP your confirmation in case they do try to deduct the new point level and DO NOT make any modification to your reservation. This is typical for any rate detail. The issue being they typically use a rate code to link a reservation to the text. So whenever there is a rate description change they only need to change one place and have it filter down. Every report I've read of this happening the property has honored the original rate. HOWEVER, if you make a change to the rez after the change goes into effect, they basically cancel the original reservation and book a new one, in which you are stuck with the new rate.

peroorim Aug 19, 2018 11:54 am

I called today and sorted things out over the phone quickly

CPRich Aug 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 30098351)
W Bali is one. 90k->60k

W Bali was not a Marriott property. I'm aware of the 3 SPG properties that dropped 90=>60.

I assumed OP was posting in the Marriott forum because it was a Marriott property

OssianBlue Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30101159)
Actually, the only thing you need to do is KEEP your confirmation in case they do try to deduct the new point level and DO NOT make any modification to your reservation. This is typical for any rate detail. The issue being they typically use a rate code to link a reservation to the text. So whenever there is a rate description change they only need to change one place and have it filter down. Every report I've read of this happening the property has honored the original rate. HOWEVER, if you make a change to the rez after the change goes into effect, they basically cancel the original reservation and book a new one, in which you are stuck with the new rate.

Looks like Marriott is NOT intending on honoring Points Advance rates that did not have certs ordered.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55447

RogerD408 Aug 20, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue (Post 30104959)
Looks like Marriott is NOT intending on honoring Points Advance rates that did not have certs ordered.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55447

Marriott bad (tell me something new)... Given the number of times CSRs have given wrong info, I wouldn't be surprised if this changes once things settle out. If you've got time before your stay, I suggest waiting maybe a week and call in to see where things stand.