Wiki Posts
Search

Elite bed type guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Elite bed type guarantee

I need to book a room using points in San Fran for next month. My go-to would be an Autograph, but reviews for Adagio looked not amazing, and likewise for the JW. I called up Starwood to inquire about a room at the Westin and was quoted a totally reasonable 14,500 Starpoints for an upgraded room (so less than the 45k MR points for the aforementioned Marriott properties).

Huge downside: Starwood doesn't guarantee a bed type on reward bookings, so I'd be risking using 43,500 MR points to sleep in a Double bed on vacation. Definition of first world problems, I know, but I sleep on a Queen at home, and having a King is a valued perk of time away from home.

So my question is: Does anyone know which policy will prevail after the merger in August?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
This doesn't answer your question, but the JW is newly renovated and is outstanding. It'll definitely be better than the Westin. Lounge is decent as well.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
This doesn't answer your question, but the JW is newly renovated and is outstanding. It'll definitely be better than the Westin. Lounge is decent as well.
The JW has always UGed me to a very nice suite even on points stays. The Union Sq Marriott (not the Marquis) has always UGed me to a large corner room with a nice bathroom that is kind of away from the room, also on points. I like that property better than the JW because the room is bright with a good view. I would spend the few extra points for not only the guaranty but the chance of getting an UG.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Concur with CJK: the JW is solid. That's where I'd book with the points being similar and bed type being a priority.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The JW has always UGed me to a very nice suite even on points stays. The Union Sq Marriott (not the Marquis) has always UGed me to a large corner room with a nice bathroom that is kind of away from the room, also on points. I like that property better than the JW because the room is bright with a good view. I would spend the few extra points for not only the guaranty but the chance of getting an UG.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Concur with CJK: the JW is solid. That's where I'd book with the points being similar and bed type being a priority.
Thanks to all of you — the JW it is! But I am still curious about the fate of this elite benefit. Does anyone know?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VisaW
Thanks to all of you — the JW it is! But I am still curious about the fate of this elite benefit. Does anyone know?
According to the benefits page, Guaranteed Room Type will be a benefit to Plat 50's and higher. ^

https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
CJKatl and VisaW like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pinniped
According to the benefits page, Guaranteed Room Type will be a benefit to Plat 50's and higher.
Which is the single largest devaluation of Gold.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which is the single largest devaluation of Gold.
Huh? The new plat is basically the old gold renamed.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Huh? The new plat is basically the old gold renamed.
Irrelevant for people with Lifetime Gold from SPG. We get stuck with New Gold, which is a useless level. It means I can only book 100% smoke-free Starriott hotels as they will not guarantee a non-smoking room if the hotel has any smoking rooms at all.

If they continue to show different smoking and bedding choices in the booking engine to non-platinum, I think it could easily be ruled as bait-and-switch.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jun 21, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Irrelevant for people with Lifetime Gold from SPG. We get stuck with New Gold, which is a useless level. It means I can only book 100% smoke-free Starriott hotels as they will not guarantee a non-smoking room if the hotel has any smoking rooms at all.

If they continue to show different smoking and bedding choices in the booking engine to non-platinum, I think it could easily be ruled as bait-and-switch.
Does SPG guarantee room types for golds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.