Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Downtown Toronto, Wristbands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all, looking at booking Courtyard Toronto Downtown and saw this alert: "Please note - All registered guests staying at hotel Jun 22-24 and Aug 3-5 2018 must wear a wristband issued by the hotel at check-in." Any idea what gives? Really enjoy the hotel due to its location and (usually) much cheaper prices than any other downtown Starwood/Marriott properties but I will absolutely not wear a wristband like I'm at an all-inclusive in Mexico.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:52 pm

That is Pride and Caribana weekends. The hotel is extremely busy, most likely sold-out as it is every year. Having guests wear wristbands is to ensure people coming and going are actual guests.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:23 pm

@imverge: thanks for the heads up! Toronto's on my list of places I want to visit...but I'll gladly skip those weeks. Too much commotion.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
@imverge: thanks for the heads up! Toronto's on my list of places I want to visit...but I'll gladly skip those weeks. Too much commotion.
Actually, you'd be surprised how many locals get out of the city (including myself) because of the crowds. The Courtyard is "party" central for sure.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Crowd control is difficult during major events and checking IDs doesn't work. I've done NOLA during Mardi Gras many years and the hotels there limit access to registered guest, especially the elevators. I too dislike wearing wrist bands and avoid them when I can. What tends to work most times is to wrap it around my wallet (being sure I can still open it) and flashing that like an ID when entering the property. If they insist on the band being worn, I will set it to where I can slip it off when I don't want to be identified as a hotel guest when out and about (just make sure you keep it somewhere safe).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is dumb. Maybe they should stamp my hand to say I'm over 21? Do I get a plastic cup for the keg at checkin? Although I'm not surprised that this hotel treats its guests like they're at a frat party - it's barely above youth hostel quality. Seriously, my worst Marriott stay in 25 years of Marriott stays was at this hotel. I remarked later to a local friend that it felt like I was at Howard Johnson's and they said "bro, it literally *was* a Howard Johnson's."

I've been in lots of hotels (ones that cater to fully-grown adults) that limit access to guests and do it in a variety of other more-professional ways. There's no way I'd walk around the streets of Toronto wearing a wristband. Maybe on alumni weekend in my college town I'll do it. Maybe.

Fortunately Toronto has several excellent Marriotts/Starwoods. I was lured into this one with one of my Megabonus or CC certificates. That won't happen again.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have stayed at this hotel, it IS party central. And if you were there during Pride weekend and were not taking part in the festivities, wrist bands would be your smallest complaint.

When I was younger, this property was the go to for a crazy weekend in Wes/Church. Now that I like to sleep on weekends, I couldn't imagine staying here during pride. Well, I could, but not without party favors.

I am curious as to what 'professional' way you would limit access during a party weekend?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
And if you were there during Pride weekend and were not taking part in the festivities, wrist bands would be your smallest complaint.
Reminds me of this: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/woman...OTWUUW0msP3KO/

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 21, 2018 at 11:48 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Air Canada, BA Executive Club, Accor / Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott
Marriott Courtyard Toronto Redevelopment Proposal

The hotel will be torn down (somewhat soon) if the owners get approval for a new mixed use project on the site. The complex would still include a 289 room hotel and some commercial but most of the project is earmarked for residential.
Kingsett Capital's 475 Yonge Redesigned in Latest Submission Urban Toronto
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is dumb. Maybe they should stamp my hand to say I'm over 21? ... and they said "bro, it literally *was* a Howard Johnson's."
You're over 21 and are still called 'bro'?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am curious as to what 'professional' way you would limit access during a party weekend?
I've stayed in many hotels where security required you to show a keycard, either to enter the property grounds or at the entrance to the main hotel building. Sometimes just flash the key, other times with a full check of cars, bags, etc. for explosives/weapons. Sometimes basic hotel security guards; other times you can tell it's more sophisticated security professionals.

I've stayed in Vegas hotels that checked keycards near the elevators. That's probably the closest analogy to this. Not necessarily a terrorism threat or protection for a VIP, but just deterring loads of drunks from getting to the floors.

I've stayed in lots of hotels that required you to use a keycard inside the elevator. This by itself doesn't prevent guests from bringing people into the hotel, but it's a modest deterrent against random people being in the halls.

I've stayed in tons of hotels that had many different reasons for security, and none needed to treat me like a boozed up college student to accomplish their goals.

Originally Posted by FA_COR_YYZ
The hotel will be torn down (somewhat soon) if the owners get approval for a new mixed use project on the site. The complex would still include a 289 room hotel and some commercial but most of the project is earmarked for residential.
That would be a huge upgrade to the Courtyard brand, regardless of whether or not a new hotel is built.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've stayed in many hotels where security required you to show a keycard, either to enter the property grounds or at the entrance to the main hotel building. Sometimes just flash the key, other times with a full check of cars, bags, etc. for explosives/weapons. Sometimes basic hotel security guards; other times you can tell it's more sophisticated security professionals.

I've stayed in Vegas hotels that checked keycards near the elevators. That's probably the closest analogy to this. Not necessarily a terrorism threat or protection for a VIP, but just deterring loads of drunks from getting to the floors.

I've stayed in lots of hotels that required you to use a keycard inside the elevator. This by itself doesn't prevent guests from bringing people into the hotel, but it's a modest deterrent against random people being in the halls.

I've stayed in tons of hotels that had many different reasons for security, and none needed to treat me like a boozed up college student to accomplish their goals.
Had to wear one at the JW SF New Years Eve. And I didn't think it was as solid as others do after 2 x 5 night stays unfortunately.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Geesh - am I the only thinking you don't actually have to wear the wristbands but just show them at the appropriate time?

I was at a property (not this one) that did similar when the hotel was taken over for a huge (Super Bowl) event (w/ the team staying at the property). They wanted the guests to have access but not non-guests, so you got a (fill in the blank) to prove you were a guest/had access. Ironically some folk took that as a badge of honor - aka, I'm staying here & you're not.

Both wristbands & keycards can be bought/sold, but the odds are most who have legit access will keep the (whatever).

To me this is much ado about nothing.

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There's no way I'd walk around the streets of Toronto wearing a wristband.
I'm pretty sure Marriott doesn't require you wear a wristband while you walk around the streets of Toronto.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
To me this is much ado about nothing.
Especially since this quirk seems to have been disclosed to potential guests prior to booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.