one-click internet access

Old May 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by phltraveler
MAC would be the most consistent thing and easiest to measure, so I'm sure the fingerprinting is based on MAC address. It's not hard to change your MAC address on Windows with Intel adapters. Maybe not as easy as clearing cookies, but not crazy hard either.
Now do it on your phone.

Only experienced the auto-login once so far, but as I recall you can go to http://internetupgrade.marriott.com when on the hotel wifi to modify your wifi options.

edit:

Unfortunately, while the hotels I stayed at more often in 2014/2015 had wired ethernet in the rooms, 2016/2017 was an off year. With everyone having wifi enabled devices a lot of newer properties (built 2010 onwards) don't put internet in the rooms, and older properties (early 2000s or older) tended to just add them in the halls, not rooms. The sweet spot is hotels constructed in mid-to-late 2000s, but even then I've stayed at many hotels where there's a wired ethernet plug in the room but it's no longer active (looking at you, Delta Toronto East).

It's still light/small enough where I pack it in my bag every time, just in case the hotel still has wired internet and it's still active.
There's also the HooToo TripMate Elite which can connect to a Wifi hotel network and form a new Wifi hotspot for your devices, although for Marriott that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have a lot of devices or ones that don't deal well with the hotel Wifi authentication system. It was nice on a cruise that only allowed one connection though, and you can also stick a USB card in it with movies and potentially stream the movies from the HooToo.

Last edited by fordan; May 11, 2018 at 10:52 am
Old May 11, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
... what router, how big is it, how much of a pain to set up - do you just hardwire it?
A long time ago I saw this Asus WL-330gE portable router listed on FT, and I bought one. I have a cable that powers it via USB (so I never need a power adapter), and I use it in both "Access Point" mode (where it plugs into the hotel's Ethernet and NATs WiFi on my own SSID) and "Repeater" mode (where it associates with the hotel's WiFi, then NATs WiFi on my own SSID, and provides a NAT-ed Ethernet port, too, which I plug my portable switch into so my Fire Stick and laptop can have wired Internet), depending on if the property has working Ethernet ports. It's nearly 7 years old, and works perfectly, and holds onto the sometimes-inconsistent hotel WiFi signal pretty great, too.

When properties have wired internet it's really nice as it's more secure ... and the performance is usually way better than the wifi routers in the hall.
... a lot of newer properties (built 2010 onwards) don't put [wired] internet in the rooms
Yeah, and I really dislike that, too- and have been nearly tempted to start a companion thread to the "WiFi Speeds" thread listing MR hotels with (working!- I'm looking at YOU, Courtyards!) Ethernet ports in rooms.

What's "funny" (if you've been following the various SPG-to-MR threads) is most of the SPG hotels I've been in lately (4PTs, Aloft and Sheraton, anyway) still have Ethernet ports in the rooms and the thruput has been fantastic.

It's still light/small enough where I pack it in my bag every time
Yeah, this one too ... it's about the size of two "Tic-Tac" containers.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by fordan
... but as I recall you can go to http://internetupgrade.marriott.com when on the hotel wifi to modify your wifi options.
Thanks for this! Bookmarked.

although for Marriott that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have a lot of devices or ones that don't deal well with the hotel Wifi authentication system.
I just like the ability to login once, then it's automatic on all the rest by default (which currently tends to be a tablet, two phones, a laptop, and a Fire Stick- and that's not counting any travel companions' devices).

It was nice on a cruise that only allowed one connection though, and you can also stick a USB card in it with movies
Yeah, I used to carry a device for both hotels and flights (iDrive Portable Storage) that did that- NATed wireless/wired repeater and 1TB of hard-drive storage via SMB and DLNA. It was great on airplanes 'cause WN's WiFi only allowed one connection, IIRC, and this way my tablet and phones all got connected in one step, plus I could watch movies off the hard drive while in-flight.

I use it less now as NetFlix has SD-card downloading for a lot of their shows now for when I'm aloft, and I've got a Plex server now for movies when I'm landside.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:58 pm

MR Pro-Tip: that new squarish (the one with all the ports) "black box" that's now being rolled out to MR properties sometimes has a wired "LAN" port that's connected to a cable that supplies full-on internet, and has always-on USB ports and HDMI ports selectable via the TV ... perfect for streaming dongles and/or laptops
phltraveler likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska; American; AMEX MR; Delta; Hilton; Marriott
One-click locked me put at new property

I signed up for one click. I just stayed at a new property and it wouldn't allow me to sign in. I had to get a work around and use an access code. Now, I'll have to see what happens at next stay...do I keep or undo?
Old May 28, 2018, 12:29 pm

Are you still there? Try this link to see if you can reset yourself: http://internetupgrade.marriott.com/
Old May 28, 2018, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have seen this one-click at a couple of the properties I stay out regularly. Was waiting for someone to report on it before trying it myself...

So far, this has been my strategy too.

I'm a bit curious how this would work if you're at a location that gets some Starriott wifi but you're not a guest at that hotel. For example, if hotels are close to each other, I've at times picked up wifi signals from the property next door when I turn on the wifi on my device.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:11 am
STG

Programs: AA Plat, Avis PP, Marriott / SPG Plat, WN ALP
I'm having a similar problem to OP. I set up all my devices using One-Click last week, and now I'm not able to "upgrade" any of them to Enhanced Internet. I've tried http://internetupgrade.marriott.com/ multiple times over two days and it doesn't work. The website times out on all my devices. I've tried removing and re-adding the Wi-Fi connection, but I think other folks are correct that it remembers MAC addresses (so short of changing my MAC address, I'm not going to be able to get to the original login screen). It's really frustrating that there's no option to un-register my devices, and there's pretty much zero information that I've been able to find on Marriott's website or even on the interwebs themselves (was really happy to find this forum though)

Does anyone know who at Marriott I might be able to contact to get help with this? I've tried tweeting them, but didn't get any response. I'm reluctant to call the 1-800 number as I'd rather not do the support call dance with a tier 1 agent (I'm guessing I'll need to talk to a tier 3 or above person to actually get this fixed).

I wish I had followed the caution of many of the folks above and held off on registering for One-Click...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by STG
I've tried http://internetupgrade.marriott.com/ multiple times over two days and it doesn't work. The website times out on all my devices
This almost certainly means you have DNS issues, most likely due to the fact that you're not getting the Marriott internet DNS (which should always at least answer even when you're not authenticated to the hotel's system), but some external DNS, whose traffic won't pass unless you've first gotten past the captive portal- and 90% of the time you can't look up the captive portal's IP address as it's local to the hotel's DNS server.

I wish you were still there, as I'd like you to try instead going to the Internet upgrade site via its IP address:
Code:
$  host internetupgrade.marriott.com
internetupgrade.marriott.com has address 52.21.50.234
instead. (i.e., http://52.21.50.234 )

Caveat, though- that's an AWS site:
Code:
$ host 52.21.50.234
234.50.21.52.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 
ec2-52-21-50-234.compute-1.amazonaws.com.
... so you may get another address depending on where you are, but that above IP should work.

Do you know how to verify which DNS server(s) you're using (and default route, for that matter) once connected?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:45 am

So I just checked, and the IP-address based site will bring you to the Marriott main site (I forget the technical name of this redirect) vs. using the "internetupgrade.marriott.com" address, but it should at least help to see if you have "no connectivity" vs "no DNS connectivity".
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:19 am
STG

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I wish you were still there...
Thanks Kenny! I'm actually still staying at the hotel so I'll give the IP address a shot tonight.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:52 am

K. PM me if you've got issues; I'll get an E-mail right away and may have something else to try.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Michilander
Yes, I am LTP and my wife is currently P, LTG (trying to get her to LTP by end of the year). Anyway, what I am worried about is booking a room under my account and having one-click tell me "Hey, Michlander-wife, you do not have a room booked at this hotel" when I try connecting to the network.
So I do love the one-click, especially since it works across properties. I've actually had the opportunity to use it at properties I wasn't staying in (I was down the street at a different Marriott and a colleague was there) and it treated me just as if I was staying at the hotel - which I actually thought was a night secret bonus of being Platinum, even if it was unintentional.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ajwright
So I do love the one-click, especially since it works across properties. I've actually had the opportunity to use it at properties I wasn't staying in (I was down the street at a different Marriott and a colleague was there) and it treated me just as if I was staying at the hotel - which I actually thought was a night secret bonus of being Platinum, even if it was unintentional.
Just met with one of the software vendors that does this (for several brands) -- https://www.elevensoftware.com/

It is an interesting concept for returning guests + guests that hop across properties within a chain. There is a limit that they can set though -- I think the default is like two years.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:46 pm
STG

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
K. PM me if you've got issues
I sent you a PM. The IP redirects me to Marriott's homepage.

For the other folks that enjoy the One-Click, I think it could be a really nice feature, but unfortunately the property I'm at standard internet doesn't meet my video conferencing needs, and it won't let me upgrade to Enhanced Internet. If it let me upgrade, then it'd be a great feature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.