Wiki Posts
Search

one-click internet access

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
one-click internet access

Was not able to find a thread discussing this.

Some time recently I apparently had this box checked when I logged my phone into a Marriott network. Unfortunately, this was at a room rented under my wife's account. So, now my phone is 'registered' for this, but associated with my wife's account. Not sure how this is going to affect things when I am registered under my account. Anyone know how to unregister a device from one-click?

Also, please feel free to share your experiences with one-click.

Last edited by Michilander; May 10, 2018 at 10:26 am Reason: after thought
Old May 10, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hopefully at your next stay in your own name, there will be some sort of "I'm not Mrs. Michilander" button you can click. Then you'd re-do whatever you did the first time you enabled one-click Internet access.

I have not been to a hotel with this yet. Seems like I always have to put my name and room number in. If this is what it sounds like - Marriott and my devices remembering each other if I allow that to happen - then I think I will like it.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:39 am

Wouldn't this sort of function use cookies? Try clearing your cookies for whatever internet browser you typically use.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Wouldn't this sort of function use cookies? Try clearing your cookies for whatever internet browser you typically use.
Perhaps or it might be installing a certificate on your device.

--Jon
Old May 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Michilander
Unfortunately, this was at a room rented under my wife's account.
If your wife is <whatever MR level is required for Premium HSIA, I forget if that's Gold or Plat>, then don't sweat it.

FWIW, one-click is great. I've got a small travel router I take with me that I have all my devices connect to instead, so the MAC address of that router is registered and my access to the other devices is automatic now.
Dublin_rfk and obunewbie17 like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I thought about this, but I was looking for a way to unregister because wiping out cookies can affect a bunch of other websites. Will probably try that as a last ditch effort if I do run into a problem in the future.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
If your wife is <whatever MR level is required for Premium HSIA, I forget if that's Gold or Plat>, then don't sweat it.

FWIW, one-click is great. I've got a small travel router I take with me that I have all my devices connect to instead, so the MAC address of that router is registered and my access to the other devices is automatic now.
Yes, I am LTP and my wife is currently P, LTG (trying to get her to LTP by end of the year). Anyway, what I am worried about is booking a room under my account and having one-click tell me "Hey, Michlander-wife, you do not have a room booked at this hotel" when I try connecting to the network.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I hate to say it, but perhaps you need to be the guinea pig for this ... "Each one, teach one!" (... or "Pioneers get the arrows", maybe? )
Old May 11, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I hate to say it, but perhaps you need to be the guinea pig for this ... "Each one, teach one!" (... or "Pioneers get the arrows", maybe? )
I have seen this one-click at a couple of the properties I stay out regularly. Was waiting for someone to report on it before trying it myself...

Old May 11, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have seen it at a few properties in the Philadelphia Metro area. Very convenient. I hope they roll out to all properties.

--Jon
Old May 11, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
It worked initially for me, but slowly stopped working on all of my devices. Every time I get an error like "You're signed up for one click access but this device is not associated with a Marriott account" and it tells me to log in. I've tried logging in afterwards, but that just returns a permission denied error page. I've also unchecked the one click access box, but still end up with the same problem. Whacking some cookies is probably the way to go, but the cookie isn't assigned to "marriott.com" and I never remember the domain of the sign on page.

It also does not work across properties, so needs to be set up for each property.

Nice idea, but seems to have some issues for now.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
It's probably using the MAC address of the wifi interface of the device which is significantly harder to change than simply clearing cookies.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by fordan
It's probably using the MAC address of the wifi interface of the device which is significantly harder to change than simply clearing cookies.
MAC would be the most consistent thing and easiest to measure, so I'm sure the fingerprinting is based on MAC address. It's not hard to change your MAC address on Windows with Intel adapters. Maybe not as easy as clearing cookies, but not crazy hard either.

Marriott should provide an option to deregister devices. Some people sell their devices or have them lost/stolen, and I'm not crazy that if these things happened to me, that someone could perform Internet activity at a Marriott on a device/connection that would be tied to my name.

(Marriott should also push their hotels to start switching to Hotspot 2.0/Passpoint so the logins are automatic as part of the connection process & all connections to access point are individually WPA2 Enterprise encrypted instead of being in the clear, but progress takes time...)
Old May 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis

ooh I'm intrigued - what router, how big is it, how much of a pain to set up - do you just hardwire it? I love the idea, it's fantastic! I've tethered through my phone when I've been horribly lazy but it doesn't work particularly well.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
ooh I'm intrigued - what router, how big is it, how much of a pain to set up - do you just hardwire it? I love the idea, it's fantastic! I've tethered through my phone when I've been horribly lazy but it doesn't work particularly well.
I use a
Hootoo Nano Hootoo Nano
myself, configure once at home and then you just plug in the power (microUSB, you bring the USB power adapter yourself) and the ethernet cord to the router and then connect on device. It's tiny (2.02*2.21*0.70 inches).

When properties have wired internet it's really nice as it's more secure (encrypted between device and router, no eavesdropping by other wireless radios - of course, without VPN hotel/internet provider can still see what you're doing) and the performance is usually way better than the wifi routers in the hall.

Unfortunately, while the hotels I stayed at more often in 2014/2015 had wired ethernet in the rooms, 2016/2017 was an off year. With everyone having wifi enabled devices a lot of newer properties (built 2010 onwards) don't put internet in the rooms, and older properties (early 2000s or older) tended to just add them in the halls, not rooms. The sweet spot is hotels constructed in mid-to-late 2000s, but even then I've stayed at many hotels where there's a wired ethernet plug in the room but it's no longer active (looking at you, Delta Toronto East).

It's still light/small enough where I pack it in my bag every time, just in case the hotel still has wired internet and it's still active.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.