Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Counting of "nights" for multiple rooms: authoritative answer

I have an authoritative answer from the head of the Ambassador programme, who kindly emailed me last night.

For the purpose of elite requalification, members will only receive 'night' credit for one room (as per Marriott), rather than multiple rooms (as per SPG).

A paying member will however be awarded points over relevant revenue for multiple rooms (as per both Marriott and SPG). I did not ask about Ritz Carlton.

A paying member will also be awarded revenue recognition for multiple rooms for the purposes of Ambassador $20k revenue threshold.

For SPG members like me, who regularly have multiple concurrent rooms (for which I personally pay), not getting 'night' recognition is a major blow, the consequences of which I am still considering.

I am also more generally concerned that by not making 'Ambassador' a separate tier, it will largely be ignored by the hotels and seen as a 'nice call centre add-on' rather than something that will trigger better treatment. Time will tell...
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy

Here in the UK, there was a press conference for bloggers that Raffles went to and posted that:

Marriott’s European VP of loyalty confirmed that any Amex Platinum member who has matched their SPG Gold to Marriott Gold will become Marriott Platinum until the end of 2018.
This does seem contradict what David Fleuck said although perhaps not. You’d think they’d have had made sure everyone was on the same page though

An executive from APAC also confirmed this earlier which contradicts David Flueck's statement.
I think I'll wait for the final T&C...this is all too confusing.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrothenb
"In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG."
just read through the whole thread and didn’t see an answer to the questions posed about the combined effect of LT statuses from both SPG and MR.

First off, where did you get your quote above?

Secondly, I’m also stuck in “no-man’s-land” like the other poster (can’t recall his tag) who was complaining that he is currently LTG in both programs but when the nights and points are combined, that’s enough to achieve LTPP (grandfathered). I’ve read some places that this needs to happen by August. In the quote above, some think they have until December.

My situation: MR LTG with 683 nights and 1,999,091 points, PLT for 7 years. SPG LTG with 301 nights, numerous *points (can’t find the LT figure anywhere), PLT for 5 years.

While I can easily achieve the 750 and 2MM requirement by August 1 given my current work bookings (my Chase MR credit card will also raise my nights with the anniversary boost in July (my account opening anniversary) + 1 night per $3k spent) but I thought, based on the vague wording, that perhaps MR LTG, when combined with SPG LT nights, might boost your ability to achieve LTPP.

Are people being too literal when they see “MR LTP = LTPP” and not accounting for the published comment that follows, which mentions the (vague) combining effect of LT nights from both programs?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7

do you mean Ritz Carlton Singapore? I hope they participate now
As St Regis Singapore is part of SPG
Yes I meant the Ritz.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Horace
There's no breakfast benefit for Platinum Elite (or higher) at The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, and Design Hotels. That's the same as it is today. I can understand all of these exclusions except Gaylord Hotels, which are huge conventions hotels (technically resorts, but that should not matter any longer).
Just because I might have missed it, what is the logic on properties like the Ritz-Carlton and the EDITION? In what way are they different to St Regis properties in that they should not offer breakfast? The only thing I can think of is that Marriott are worried that the property owners wouldn't wear it, but otherwise what is a Ritz-Carlton other than a larger, more globally Americanized St Regis?
I'm not a fan of the Ritz-Carlton brand in any case, but I do like Editions, and as the top tier properties in many cities I travel to, I will inevitably begin using these brands more than before.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier , BA Silver, Miles and More Silver, Windham Rewards Diamond
Will earned Marriott Gold elite status years count towards Platinum status years for lifetime status? (Given that Marriott Gold seems to be matched with Platinum in the new scheme)
Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The point carefully made over and over again is you are not losing any benefits earned. You will still receive the same benefits you were receiving as an SPG Gold. There will no longer be a need for a status match wherein you were given MR Gold benefits but never were actually a MR Gold. People somehow thought they were MR Gold because of the status match which was never the case. MR Gold shared the same metal name but the two were always different tiers with different qualification requirements and different benefits.
While your statement might be correct to those who brought the status over from SPG - you have replied to a member talking about the Ritz credit card which grantee a Gold status (in both the Ritz program and the Marriott program - while we can quibble whether they are the same, for me having one number means they are the same).

That status (after the first year), is not given, but earned by spending $10K. Which I have done over the last several years. In fact that is what enticed me into staying in Marriott, and what keep me coming back. At least for those of us who already spent the $10K to be qualified as old Gold (new Platinum) until 2020, it is a big blow.

There will always be winners and losers. I'm OK with being a loser, but not OK with providing my side of the deal, and not getting anything in return.

I don't have much hope for the other changes coming to the Ritz credit card - if it would provide a free night, retain the $300 travel credit, and the Visa Infinite $100 flight discount, and free AU - it might be worth keeping (especially if grandfathered into the old price). But the only expenses on the card will be travel expenses to get the rebate and discount, and the only stay in Marriott will be the free night.

Becoming a free agent, vary much like the airline did to us, is liberating.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
I am also more generally concerned that by not making 'Ambassador' a separate tier, it will largely be ignored by the hotels and seen as a 'nice call centre add-on' rather than something that will trigger better treatment. Time will tell...
Marriott seems to have given zero consideration to the naming convention as having three platinums -- platinum, platinum premier and platinum premier ambassador -- is ill-thought. Moreover, calling some of your credit cards "premier" creates a situation in which someone will insist they are "platinum premier" when they're actually a platinum with a premier credit card.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
An executive from APAC also confirmed this earlier which contradicts David Flueck's statement.
I think I'll wait for the final T&C...this is all too confusing.
As I've said, none of the public statements by anyone matters. Sure they are persuasive, but the terms and conditions will be the ultimate decider.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Just because I might have missed it, what is the logic on properties like the Ritz-Carlton and the EDITION? In what way are they different to St Regis properties in that they should not offer breakfast? The only thing I can think of is that Marriott are worried that the property owners wouldn't wear it, but otherwise what is a Ritz-Carlton other than a larger, more globally Americanized St Regis?
I'm not a fan of the Ritz-Carlton brand in any case, but I do like Editions, and as the top tier properties in many cities I travel to, I will inevitably begin using these brands more than before.
What makes it weird is the fact that Marriott International manages most or all Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels. Presumably, Marriott could force Marriott to comply. This reminds me of Hyatt. Gary Leff's blog has reported on how one of the worst offenders of Hyatt's program is a hotel owned and operated by Hyatt itself.

I don't know if St. Regis was managed directly by legacy Starwood or third-party management companies.

I think it's ludicrous that some brands participate in the program, but receive exemptions. Ritz-Carlton and Edition should either be forced to fully participate or they shouldn't be included.

I don't expect Design to participate because legacy Starwood's affiliation with Design was pretty unique. It was basically, as I understand it, just a marketing agreement. I don't even think Design had any brand standards imposed on by legacy Starwood, except, perhaps, providing bottled water or complimentary internet.
EuropeanPete and kaizen7 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What makes it weird is the fact that Marriott International manages most or all Ritz-Carlton and Edition hotels. Presumably, Marriott could force Marriott to comply. This reminds me of Hyatt. Gary Leff's blog has reported on how one of the worst offenders of Hyatt's program is a hotel owned and operated by Hyatt itself.

I don't know if St. Regis was managed directly by legacy Starwood or third-party management companies.

I think it's ludicrous that some brands participate in the program, but receive exemptions. Ritz-Carlton and Edition should either be forced to fully participate or they shouldn't be included.

I don't expect Design to participate because legacy Starwood's affiliation with Design was pretty unique. It was basically, as I understand it, just a marketing agreement. I don't even think Design had any brand standards imposed on by legacy Starwood, except, perhaps, providing bottled water or complimentary internet.
It seems like all St R are participated in SPG

Another interesting point is RC Singapore (and RC Reserve properties) is not participated at all and yet still shown on MR/RCR apps

Maybe they pay ludicrous amount of money to hq so they can get access to the booking platform and leverage MR members booking channel but dont have to extend benefits
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ozflier
It is good to see these changes at least being clarified.
I sure hope that AC Hotels get roped into them in particular recognition of elite status.
I had booked AC Hotels for recent trips to Europe mainly Spain and have been grossly disappointed at the lack of recognition or any perks associated with my Gold Elite status.
Foolishly, I stuck with the Marriott chain as I assumed that there would be some recognition for an Elite member.
As late of last week, I stayed at the Marriott Hotel Puerto Atocha in Madrid and received nil above the basic level of service let alone being told thanks for staying.
Maybe things will change ??
Interesting, as the U. S. AC's I've stayed at have been very clear about recognizing status, first time was as Gold.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
Transfer of points to airline miles

Glad to see folks posting the bullet points concerning the merger of the Starwood and Marriott programs. However, I noticed that one bullet point :
"Plus, starting in August, we’ll add 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles, providing you with a total of 25,000 miles in the airline program of your choice".
Is this fuzzy math? Doesn't adding 15,000 points for every 60,000 points one transfers to airline miles add up to 75,000 miles and not 25,000?
Does anyone read through these things before reposting?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), and add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincerely hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
CPRich and CIT85 like this.

Last edited by jrothenb; Apr 18, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cscasi
Glad to see folks posting the bullet points concerning the merger of the Starwood and Marriott programs. However, I noticed that one bullet point :
"Plus, starting in August, we’ll add 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles, providing you with a total of 25,000 miles in the airline program of your choice".
Is this fuzzy math? Doesn't adding 15,000 points for every 60,000 points one transfers to airline miles add up to 75,000 miles and not 25,000?
Does anyone read through these things before reposting?
SPG points got 3X but that doesn't mean we get 3X more miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.