Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

True 5 star luxury Autograph Collection properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

True 5 star luxury Autograph Collection properties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Hotel Majestic in Malaysia is legit 5 stars.
Indeed, before YTL decided for the hotel to join Autograph Collection, the Hotel Majestic in KL was a member of The Leading Hotels of the World.

YTL also owns/operates the JW, Ritz-Carlton and the Hotel Stripes [Autograph Collection] in Kuala Lumpur.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
submonte likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. There are very few 4 star hotels that offer service comparable to true 5 star luxury hotels; there are none that offer service above and beyond those. I think you speak with limited experience of 5 star luxury hotels.

Luxury implies level of service as much as quality of accommodations and facilities.

There are 4 star hotels that can be luxury but lack a spa or some other element most often required now to be considered a 5 star property. But there are no 3 star properties offering luxury service (let alone facilities and accommodation) to compare with any luxury 4 or 5 star hotels.

There are tons of full service hotels that are 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star. But only what we consider to be 5 star properties are almost always the same as luxury, even if some 4 star properties can have service levels that qualify them as luxury, too. Full service isn't luxury. You are just wrong.

As one who stays at some of the nicest luxury properties in the world regardless of brand, I know of what I speak. I've stayed at top end luxury hotels like Amanjiwo, Amankila, and Amanusa in Indonesia, Amansara in Cambodia, Amanbagh in India, Amangiri and Amangani in the USA, Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace and Oberoi Udaivilas in India, The Upper House in Hong Kong, Singita Ebony and Boulders in South Africa, the Peninsula in Shanghai and Beverly Hills, the Gritti Palace in Venice, the StR San Francisco, etc.

I know the difference between high end luxury service...and just good service. There is a big difference.
Give me a break. What is "luxury"? While there is a definition in the dictionary ("the state of great comfort and extravagant living"), the word is meaningless because luxury is in the eye of the beholder. For years, Buick was considered a luxury carmaker in China. I doubt few of us in North America would rank Buick in the classification of luxury carmakers.

For me, being able to get a shoeshine is a service that separates four-star and five-star hotels from three stars. For you, it sounds like a spa is the division. Yet I've stayed at plenty of hotels across the spectrum with a spa, but the spa was overpriced and the attendants didn't even have certifications or licenses as massage therapists (not required in some jurisdictions).

I also know that some people will say Bvlgari toiletries is a deciding factor, but I don't think you can legitimately classify a hotel by its brand of toiletries.

Another factor is properly executed service. Just because a Holiday Inn is full-service doesn't mean it provides proper service. That is to say, flatware is placed correctly on a table in the restaurant. That's obviously a gimme when it comes to any hotel calling itself a "luxury" hotel.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 15, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by uggboy
Indeed, before YTL decided for the hotel to join Autograph Collection, the Hotel Majestic in KL was a member of The Leading Hotels of the World.

YTL also owns/operates the JW, Ritz-Carlton and the Hotel Stripes [Autograph Collection] in Kuala Lumpur.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Your are right, YTL is company that knows how to run luxury resorts, hotels and malls. Many times I stayed in the JW Marriott KL and often spent long evenings with colleagues and business partners for dinner and with live music in their Starhill Gallery which is connected to the JW. Next time I want to go to their world class Pangkor Laut Resort. I did not know Majestic, but will take a look at it before my next trip to Malaysia.
uggboy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Three true 5* luxury properties in Germany join Autograph Collection (leaving Kempinski)

- Atlantic
- Falkenstein Grand
- Villa Rothschild

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29219223-post491.html

Why Autograph and not Luxury Collection. Seems that Autograph Collection has a future as brand home for true luxury properties.

Last edited by submonte; Dec 27, 2017 at 10:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.