Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

True 5 star luxury Autograph Collection properties

Old Aug 13, 17, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Hi all,

We are having a discussion in the Luxury Hotels forum about Marriott/Starwood luxury hotels. As I'm a Starwood loyalist newer to the Marriott portfolio, I thought I'd reach out here to see what hotels/resorts Marriott loyalists would qualify as being true 5 star luxury properties.

Autograph actually isn't in Marriott's Luxury brands group; rather, Autograph is in Marriott's Premier brands group along with Le Méridien and Westin, Marriott and Sheraton, etc. But we know there still are some Autograph properties like Boscolo properties in Europe, Brown Palace Denver, Turberry Isle, Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, that many would consider true luxury 5 star hotels.

What others might be included in this sub-group?

Thanks for your contributions!
uggboy likes this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 5:02 pm

Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, that many would consider true luxury 5 star hotels.

That's funny. It might be an Expedia 5 star but I would say in real life it's a 3 star. Well, 1 star service and 4 star rooms/pools/etc.... Just my two cents.
Old Aug 13, 17, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy View Post

That's funny. It might be an Expedia 5 star but I would say in real life it's a 3 star. Well, 1 star service and 4 star rooms/pools/etc.... Just my two cents.
I got 5-star service at The Cosmopolitan, but realize from the varied reviews that this is not consistent. Still, the service levels I personally experienced exceeded my expectations and very pleasantly surprised me for Vegas.
Old Aug 13, 17, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I got 5-star service at The Cosmopolitan, but realize from the varied reviews that this is not consistent. Still, the service levels I personally experienced exceeded my expectations and very pleasantly surprised me for Vegas.
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy View Post

I also had a very poor experience at the Cosmpolitan a few years back with terrible hard product suite fails yet excellent service. I am more than aware of the mixed reviews of this particular property, too. Still, I want to see what most Marriott/Autograph loyalists think to have some perspective.
Old Aug 13, 17, 7:20 pm

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel?
Old Aug 13, 17, 7:44 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Sortis, bohemian, the saint hotel, the Algonquin, etc...
Old Aug 13, 17, 8:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I could be wrong, but when even TripAdvisor considers it a 4 star hotel, it's tough to defend as a 5 star luxury property, I think. That precludes the Algonquin, Saint, and Bohemian. But thanks for suggesting them!

The Sortis and Mauna Kea are 4.5 stars by even TripAdvisor, so they have potential to be considered, at least.

Again, there are very good hotels...and then are 5 star luxury hotels. It will obviously be subjective!
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:06 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I could be wrong, but when even TripAdvisor considers it a 4 star hotel, it's tough to defend as a 5 star luxury property, I think. That precludes the Algonquin, Saint, and Bohemian. But thanks for suggesting them!

The Sortis and Mauna Kea are 4.5 stars by even TripAdvisor, so they have potential to be considered, at least.

Again, there are very good hotels...and then are 5 star luxury hotels. It will obviously be subjective!
No problem.

Don't forget to check out the Envoy and Union Station..

I think they are opening up a new one in Virginia next year... It will probably be a 5 start hotel.

I think its called the Cavalier
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver, United Club, AA Gold, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
I would put Scrub Island at the top of Autograph Collection. Truly had a tremendous experience, including an upgrade, but the staff was superb, the amenities, etc.
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is overrated and way past its prime. Any stars over 3 are due to nostalgia and deference for how great it must have been back in the day.

The Envoy is fine, but certainly not 4- or 5-star either. It's a typical urban business hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
We are having a discussion in the Luxury Hotels forum about Marriott/Starwood luxury hotels. As I'm a Starwood loyalist newer to the Marriott portfolio, I thought I'd reach out here to see what hotels/resorts Marriott loyalists would qualify as being true 5 star luxury properties.
Can you point to consensus criteria for a 5-star luxury property? If not, this is just another subjective properties I like thread, with an extra dollop of pretension.
Old Aug 13, 17, 11:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Can you point to consensus criteria for a 5-star luxury property? If not, this is just another subjective properties I like thread, with an extra dollop of pretension.
There was a discussion going on in the Luxury Forum about what brands within Marriott/Starwood hotels may be luxury...and some details about specific properties.

Autograph Collection isn't in the Marriott luxury brands group (unlike Luxury Collection, Ritz Carlton, St Regis, Bulgari, W, Edition, JW); it's in the Premier brands group. But there was an acknowledgement that there still are some proper luxury properties in Autograph. The Boscolo properties in Europe were the first mentions, actually.

The criteria are subjective, of course. I suppose it's one of those things that you know it when you see it. Boscolo properties aren't in the Marriott luxury brands portfolio, yet I think most would consider them 5 star level luxury properties--even in the tough luxury markets in which they are located. Hopefully, that makes sense. This has nothing to do with whether I like them or not. This has all to do with whether they would be considered luxury hotels by most.

I thought I'd come straight to the source here in the Marriott forum to see what other Autograph properties people can suggest that might be considered proper luxury akin to the other Marriott luxury brands--since people here would know Autograph properties the best. We are looking for luxury properties, not just very good properties.

That's it. No pretension intended. But I can't be responsible if someone might get defensive! I'm simply looking for suggestions to properties in the Autograph that may be the exception.

Here is the link to the Luxury Forum thread to which I'm referring:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-starwood.html

Thanks for any suggestions again. If there aren't any, then we're no worse off than we were before I tried this possibility. I just thought I'd try to check here to make sure we weren't missing any other luxury examples in Autograph.
submonte likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 13, 17 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
I thought the L'Hermitage Gantois in Lille would meet your criteria (especially since they didn't gut the interior like the Rouen Bourgtheroulde did)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 17, 8:14 am

I would not consider the Boscolo Venice Luxury. It was nice
Old Aug 14, 17, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The discussion in the Luxury hotels forum is actually pretty interesting.

It primarily speaks of brands (the original topic) vs. individual properties, although the latter on both sides are included & as some have noted, are subjective.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-starwood.html

I haven't stayed there since I haven't been to Spain in a few years, but The Cotton House, Autograph Collection gets excellent reviews.

Cheers.
submonte, uggboy and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: