Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help: If I check in with the app and not in person, does it still count as a stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: If I check in with the app and not in person, does it still count as a stay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

I have to have a couple more stays to retain Platinum status for 2018. I have no more travel needed for these last few days in December. Can I book a room (anywhere) and check in with the app and not in person? Will this still count as a stay? Basically the idea would be to find the cheapest rate possible and book, just not show up in person. Make sense? Thanks for all of the help.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:41 pm

This will not work. All you will get out of this a bill for a no-show. The system is set up to prevent exactly what you're describing.

From the Marriott Rewards Terms (emphasis mine):
A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for a qualifying stay at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. To ensure Points are automatically posted to the correct Membership Account, the Member's Rewards Program Membership Number must be present on his/her room folio and up to two additional rooms, as applicable.
Links: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Last edited by writerguyfl; Dec 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm Reason: Quoted wrong Terms.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Thank you. I figured this was the case, but I wanted to confirm.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Rooms require you to be present. Some properties will mess up and allow someone else to check in and you get credit, but it shouldn't happen.

What does work is booking a meeting room and not showing up. That will get you 10 nights for each meeting.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. How does that work?/
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:37 am

I would call MR customer service. I was 1 night away from renewing and planning to get an unnecessary room this week. I called to ask if the could renew me as a courtesy. She looked me up and said my status had already been renewed into 2019. So there is a 'close enough' number that will actually qualify you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.