Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Terrible Experience at The Omaha Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Last night I had a reservation at the Omaha Marriott that I did mobile check in earlier in the day. Around 6pm while waiting for my flight in DTW, I called the hotel and asked if my room was ready yet (didn't get notification saying so). After putting me on a brief hold, he comes back on and says yes.

Fast Foward to almost 11pm when I arrive at the hotel and the man checking me in told me that they are oversold by 15 rooms and that they would pay for me another room at a nearby hotel. I am now in shock and state that I called earlier and asked if my room was ready and the man on the phone said yes. He said he was sorry but they don't have any rooms available. I then go on to ask where wil they have me stay. He then tells me that they are still trying to find me a room but walks over to someone on the phone and then comes back and says it is the Days Inn just around the corner. I then tell him that I will never stay in a Days Inn and as a Platnium Marriott Member I almost exclusively stay at Marriotts. He then tells me that the Days Inn is new. I quickly get my phone out and see it is 30+ years old with terrible reviews and show him. So after 15 min of them calling other hotels the front desk manager comes up to me and says that I have a room available on the 6th Floor. She then checks me in and sends me to my room.

Fast Forward to this morning and I ask the front desk for something to be done on the situation. It is the same people that where down there last night and they state that they never knew that I was a Platnium when I walked up. Not true I told them I was a Platnium when I first arrived. I then told them I was calling Marriott Coustomer Care and I am waiting for them to get back with me but I wanted to here others feedback on this situation.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Assuming your Plat # was in the ressie & you didn't make it the day you were checking in, you would have been eligible for the ultimate reservation guarantee (ie, they would have paid for the room at the DI, cab to get there, $200 to you, & 90,000 points).

However, since they found a room for you when you declined the Days Inn & you accepted it, that doesn't apply any longer. They might toss you some minor points for the inconvenience, but not sure they'll do much more as they found you a room which you accepted.

It's rare for properties to walk Plats but does occasionally happen. Some Plats would be happy to take a walk due to the guarantee payout.

I'd chalk it up to stuff happens & move on. If you don't like the room they have you in, you can ask them if they'll upgrade you (don't do a DYKWIA).

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Assuming your Plat # was in the ressie & you didn't make it the day you were checking in, you would have been eligible for the ultimate reservation guarantee (ie, they would have paid for the room at the DI, cab to get there, $200 to you, & 90,000 points).

However, since they found a room for you when you declined the Days Inn & you accepted it, that doesn't apply any longer. They might toss you some minor points for the inconvenience, but not sure they'll do much more as they found you a room which you accepted.

It's rare for properties to walk Plats but does occasionally happen. Some Plats would be happy to take a walk due to the guarantee payout.

I'd chalk it up to stuff happens & move on. If you don't like the room they have you in, you can ask them if they'll upgrade you (don't do a DYKWIA).

Cheers.
Yes my rewards # is always in my reservations. They were not going to give me the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, they were only going to pay for the Days Inn and give me 1500 points. My room was fine at the Marriott, the reason why I am complaining is the poor service, the receptionist was unprofessional and was laughing at the situation. This morning I was talking to another Platinum member here in the hotel and she was almost walked even though she checked in at noon. She requested a double room because her family was with her and she can't sleep with 4 people in a King but somehow kicked another person who requested a 2 Queen out and gave it to her reluctantly.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yes my rewards # is always in my reservations. They were not going to give me the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, they were only going to pay for the Days Inn and give me 1500 points. My room was fine at the Marriott, the reason why I am complaining is the poor service, the receptionist was unprofessional and was laughing at the situation. This morning I was talking to another Platinum member here in the hotel and she was almost walked even though she checked in at noon. She requested a double room because her family was with her and she can't sleep with 4 people in a King but somehow kicked another person who requested a 2 Queen out and gave it to her reluctantly.
Wow - that isn't good. I'd definitely talk to cust care about the property.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
He said he was sorry but they don't have any rooms available. ... the front desk manager comes up to me and says that I have a room available on the 6th Floor. She then checks me in and sends me to my room.
The magically appearing room. Ha!

They were not going to give me the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, they were only going to pay for the Days Inn and give me 1500 points.
What a pathetic offer to a Platinum Elite customer. The Days Inn is hardly comparable to Marriott. And they're about 90000 points and two hundred dollars short in their compensation. I hate it when they try to scam loyal guests. Sounds similar to the experience chix recently had at Delta Hunt Valley.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Isn't it requires to be an equivalent room?

Marriott vs. Days Inn!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

Marriott vs. Days Inn!
No, I checked the ultimate reservation guarantee. It just says nearby hotel.

"If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand."

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...s/guarantee.mi

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Stayed at this location , tired and old
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Even if Marriott does not currently use the term "comparable" in its T&Cs, the travel industry widely uses the term "comparable" when referring to a substitute hotel that a guest is sent to when a guaranteed reservation cannot be honored.

For example, here's what IHG has at its FAQ:
Why do we require a credit card for Internet reservations?
By securing your online reservation with a credit card, you are eligible for our Reservations Guarantee. If your reservation cannot be honored, the host hotel will provide a room at, and transportation to, another convenient and comparable hotel, and pay for telephone calls to notify family of the lodging change. The host hotel will also pay the full cost of the first night's lodging rate, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded.
Even if Marriott does not use the word, there's still a reasonable exception that a guest will be walked to hotel of a similar category and quality.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lani1
Good news is there's a new Marriott opening in Omaha next month.

Omaha Marriott Downtown at the Capitol District

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Even if Marriott does not currently use the term "comparable" in its T&Cs, the travel industry widely uses the term "comparable" when referring to a substitute hotel that a guest is sent to when a guaranteed reservation cannot be honored.

Even if Marriott does not use the word, there's still a reasonable exception that a guest will be walked to hotel of a similar category and quality.
I'm in agreement w/ you and I think Marriott used to have comparable in its verbiage, but might have pulled it at some point. I would have fought a Days Inn & 1500 points as well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lani1
It just completed a renovation last month. It's alright but the property is old, the bathroom is tiny. My biggest complaint is how unprofessional the staff is. Both the receptionist and Front Desk Manager where.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
"Comparable" actually.

It's in the T&C's:

"8. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply."
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Does considering Days Inn as "comparable" by Marriott staff qualify as a case of "low self-esteem" then?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tanic
"Comparable" actually.

It's in the T&C's:

"8. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, Member's Rewards Program Membership Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If hotel is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodations nearby for the Elite Member that night, and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A hotel must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/ compensation to apply."
Thank you for finding that the term "comparable" is still on the official Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions page.

Sharon was quoting the Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee marketing page, which only specifies "nearby," not "comparable." It would be better if Marriott kept its marketing language consistent with its legal language. By omitting the term "comparable," Marriott's marketing of Elite guarantees suggests that Marriott's policy is interior to typical hospitality industry standards.

I agree that a Days Inn is not comparable to a full-service Marriott Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.