Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Cancellation Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EricH
I wonder whether any companies are contemplating pricing different cancellation options.
If you browse Hotels.com (and other sites like it) you will typically see two pricing tiers: one for prepaid / non-refundable bookings, and a more expensive one that allows cancellation up to check-in day. Fine with that. Cannot live with a three-day cancel window. Business trip plans change all the time; flights get screwed up. I'm not going to risk $250+ because I'm stuck in ATL owing to thunderstorms and can't get where I planned to go.

Originally Posted by KRSW
It only takes a few cancellations to completely nuke any benefit one might receive from points earned.
This. ^ More people should understand that the cost of chasing points often exceeds their value. Pay a couple of cancellation penalties with Marriott rather than hit Priceline Express Deals or Hotel Tonight in the first place, and the MR program is actually costing you good money.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I expect such harsh cancellation terms are going to lead to the sort of distressed inventory dumping by hotels that will serve me well.
There's your long-term silver lining: maybe more last-minute rooms at discount prices. I'm only Silver, MR is a secondary program for me, but now I don't see an incentive to continue reserving Marriott properties in the usual way at all.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
If you browse Hotels.com (and other sites like it) you will typically see two pricing tiers: one for prepaid / non-refundable bookings, and a more expensive one that allows cancellation up to check-in day. Fine with that. Cannot live with a three-day cancel window. Business trip plans change all the time; flights get screwed up. I'm not going to risk $250+ because I'm stuck in ATL owing to thunderstorms and can't get where I planned to go.

This. ^ More people should understand that the cost of chasing points often exceeds their value. Pay a couple of cancellation penalties with Marriott rather than hit Priceline Express Deals or Hotel Tonight in the first place, and the MR program is actually costing you good money.

There's your long-term silver lining: maybe more last-minute rooms at discount prices. I'm only Silver, MR is a secondary program for me, but now I don't see an incentive to continue reserving Marriott properties in the usual way at all.
Indeed.

Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels Tonight and some foreign sites/channels are going to indeed help make that silver lining for me quite bright. A huge proportion of my trips are booked with less than 24 hours before scheduled flight departure, and even then my plans change sometimes within hours of the trip commencing. It's not rare for me to book my hotels upon arrival at my destination, and then the difference in price between distressed inventory sales and direct channels ends up being so large that hotel loyalty program benefits may be insufficient to make it worthwhile to even go for a direct booking.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm not happy about this. Even though we've been successful with canceling last minute through the Platinum line without penalty, it's still a hassle to do so (and I wonder if they'll continue to allow that if you miss the cancel deadline by 2 days instead of 2 hours).

I just checked my husband's frequent-stay cities - mostly California from Bakersfield to Redding - and they've all gone to 2-day cancel. The Hilton family properties where he stays in those cities are still at 1-day cancel. More reason for him to requalify for Diamond this year, unless Hilton follows suit.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Reading through the comments in the link above, some are seeing longer cancel policies at some Hiltons & Hyatts as well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Of course, like sheep and airlines, they will eventually all follow the leader. So is the strategy now never to reserve until the day of or day before when its concrete? There go any "advance" upgrades. Will they have a heart for cancelled flights? There has to a happy medium.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's count this as one of the early "costs" to customers from the Starriot merger.

It could be interesting when companies renew their corporate contracts or update their travel policies. For many business travelers, a three day cancel policy is almost the same as a prepaid reservation.

Moving away from a same day cancel policy already prevented customers from being able to book their preferred chain hotels in anticipation of airline IROPs when there appeared to be a significant risk of being stranded.

Once upon a time, most USA hotels (except resort locations) allowed cancellation until 4 pm (and sometimes 6 pm) on the day of arrival and they would hold a reservation without a credit card or deposit until that time; often you could call the same day and ask them to hold your room for late arrival. Back then, in the rest of the world, deposits may have been more common, but the tradition was for all sides to behave honorably. I recall that some countries (such as Germany) had laws allowing the innkeeper to recover damages from no shows and late cancellations but guests were also given protections if the hotel was overbooked.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 16, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's count this as one of the early "costs" to customers from the Starriot merger.

It could be interesting when companies renew their corporate contracts or update their travel policies. For many business travelers, a three day cancel policy is almost the same as a prepaid reservation.

Moving away from a same day cancel policy already prevented customers from being able to book their preferred chain hotels in anticipation of airline IROPs when there appeared to be a significant risk of being stranded.

Once upon a time, most USA hotels (except resort locations) allowed cancellation until 4 pm (and sometimes 6 pm) on the day of arrival and they would hold a reservation without a credit card or deposit until that time; often you could call the same day and ask them to hold your room for late arrival. Back then, in the rest of the world, deposits may have been more common, but the tradition was for all sides to behave honorably. I recall that some countries (such as Germany) had laws allowing the innkeeper to recover damages from no shows and late cancellations but guests were also given protections if the hotel was overbooked.
It is not chain-wide yet. Have you tried to make reservations? I have all over Europe... they are still showing similar cancellations as they were before this thread was started. Where is the source of that this is going chainwide? Where is the source that his affects all rates, such a corporate rates and/or Platinums? So far, I don't see it. Maybe I will shortly, but so far, I don't.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It is not chain-wide yet. Have you tried to make reservations? I have all over Europe... they are still showing similar cancellations as they were before this thread was started. Where is the source of that this is going chainwide? Where is the source that his affects all rates, such a corporate rates and/or Platinums? So far, I don't see it. Maybe I will shortly, but so far, I don't.
Does not apply to Europe....YET! Here is what has been confirmed so far:

Americas including the United States, Canada, Caribbean and Latin America, across all brands except for Design Hotels
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by christianj
Does not apply to Europe....YET! Here is what has been confirmed so far:

Americas including the United States, Canada, Caribbean and Latin America, across all brands except for Design Hotels
Not live yet at all properties. Just checked on some... I see 3 day, 2 day and 1 day prior cancel policies in place. It is not yet uniform. It appears (at a glance) that the higher end properties had the worst cancel policies (3 day) and the lower end ones had better (1 day).

But I do hear your point... I'd imagine it is on the way to being uniform shortly in those regions. At least we still have Europe (for now).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:59 am

I checked a few locales and hotels using my corp rate of a huge, largely traveling consultants. They are all over the board from 6pm day of arrival to 1, 2, & 3 days.

One, NYC Marriott Marquis was 6pm DOA, the standard rate was $100 more and 3 days CXL. JW Essex was $100 more for the corp rate and both were 3 days cancel.

I suspect large corps can pick out a few key hotels in major cities that are carved out of this nonsense.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
How does a policy like this come into being anyway? Do not individual hotels do their own pricing and yield management?

If I were the owner of the Courtyard Outer Bumblephuck West, why would I allow Marriott corporate to dictate my pricing (fare rules should be conidered part of pricing; they are in the airline world) and yield strategies? The Fairfield Outer Bumblephuck East is under different ownership and is a competitor. Why would I allow Marriott corporate to prevent me from taking share from a competitor?

I'm just curious how revenue management works in the hotel world where every property is a franchisee or licensee. I thoroughly understand it in the airline business.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just another customer-unfriendly change in the step downward in hotel chains... thanks in part to the big merger.

First was the prepay non cancelable reservations, then making a normal res cancel by 24hrs, and now its 3 days. Seen this coming since some locations already did quietly go to 3 days several months ago.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
There's your long-term silver lining: maybe more last-minute rooms at discount prices.
It's very dependent on the local market, but this is certainly a possibility. I make last-minute trips to the Lake Buena Vista, FL area rather frequently. That's a market known for having an extended time between when the reservation is booked and the actual stay. With the exception of FL residents making a last-minute weekend trip, very few people go on spur-of-the-moment trips to Disney World.

The market leader (Disney) has a 5-day cancel policy. As such, most chain hotels already had stricter policies like 3-day cancel. (I'm more of a Hilton guy, but I think Marriott properties were similar.)

On non-sold nights, I've found that rates tend to drop once the cancel period begins. On some occasions, I've seen rates drop $80. For people who plan, it's certainly distasteful. But, it's a good thing for last-minute travelers. Again, it will be dependent on the local market.

Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm just curious how revenue management works in the hotel world where every property is a franchisee or licensee. I thoroughly understand it in the airline business.
I used to be a hotel Revenue Manager, although not at any of the Marriott (or Starwood) brands. So, take this is a grain of salt.

Yes, the local hotel is responsible for their own rates and inventory management. Typically, hotels are required to use the chain's revenue management software. Each hotel is able to override the system, if desired.

When it comes to global policies such as cancelation periods, there is almost always a way to opt-out. Having a one-size-fits-all approach simply isn't logical in hotels. Hotel chains have begun to understand this, as evidenced by the Autograph Collection and Design Hotels.

I worked in one chain where it was extraordinarily simple to opt-out of global policies. You could do it instantly via computer or by calling and speaking to someone at Central Reservations. In a different chain, that process required forms and several days. But in either case, it was possible to change to a less strict policy than the global one.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jun 16, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: Adding multiquote.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
How does a policy like this come into being anyway? Do not individual hotels do their own pricing and yield management?

If I were the owner of the Courtyard Outer Bumblephuck West, why would I allow Marriott corporate to dictate my pricing (fare rules should be conidered part of pricing; they are in the airline world) and yield strategies? The Fairfield Outer Bumblephuck East is under different ownership and is a competitor. Why would I allow Marriott corporate to prevent me from taking share from a competitor?

Great points, IDK. Does revenue management report to Marriott or the property owner?

I'm surprised existing Operating Management Agreements allow such a universal and sudden change in terms, but I guess they do.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I wonder how Plats will be impacted. They could cancel at 24 hours vs 48 hours.
I have cancelled up to 6pm penalty-free.

Originally Posted by ohmark
Never has been any such written rule. When inquiring, have been told by more than one property they have no idea what I'm talking about.
I never call the property, I call the MR Plat Line and have them take care of it. I hate having to same-day cancel but it's saved me $$ several times now, one of the best benefits to being LTP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.