FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   New Cancellation Policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1848373-new-cancellation-policy.html)

exree Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

New Cancellation Policy

Uh oh....how long before everyone does this?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...licy-72-hours/

Mr. Vker Jun 15, 2017 3:53 pm

I wonder how Plats will be impacted. They could cancel at 24 hours vs 48 hours.

EricH Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

It's about time that hotels stopped giving away cancellation options. I wonder whether any companies are contemplating pricing different cancellation options.

3Cforme Jun 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Marriott just made last-minute services like Hotel Tonight and Priceline Express Deals look more compelling.

olouie Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Following airline model slowly. Over time it will be extra charges for higher floors, extra pillows, early check in, late check out, wake up calls, towels etc =p All due to customer feedback and demand.

LoganFlyer Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Do we have any proof of this besides a blog post?

olouie Jun 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 28448142)
Do we have any proof of this besides a blog post?

Just try and make a booking in the US. Hit my new bookings even with my corporate code.

sdsearch Jun 15, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm seeing 2-day (instead of 1-day) cancellation deadline at several SoCal properties that just yesterday were showing 1-day. It's the same whether I look at AAA, (Marriott Rewards) Member, or open-to-all rates.

A comment on the blog linked above says it may have only gone to 3-day in the US Northeast.

SkiAdcock Jun 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28447957)
Marriott just made last-minute services like Hotel Tonight and Priceline Express Deals look more compelling.

Yes & no. If you don't know for certain you're committed to a stay, book it & then remind yourself to cancel in the appropriate timeframe (and now more than ever, print out the email confirmations you get that shows the cancel property - especially if this isn't worldwide). If you won't know until within the 72 hour but at that point you do know you'll stay there, then book through Marriott. Booking through last-minute services does not get you night/stay credit.

Cheers.

3Cforme Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28448222)
Booking through last-minute services does not get you night/stay credit.

Cheers.

I won't be looking for Marriott or SPG stay credit. I'll be looking for value. Flexibility has value - Marriott's approach denies me that. Lots of plans can change within 72 hours. It's different for multi-day resort vacations with the family but for single night business stays solo I can take my chances with a last-minute booking.

olouie Jun 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 28448198)
I'm seeing 2-day (instead of 1-day) cancellation deadline at several SoCal properties that just yesterday were showing 1-day. It's the same whether I look at AAA, (Marriott Rewards) Member, or open-to-all rates.

A comment on the blog linked above says it may have only gone to 3-day in the US Northeast.

Getting 3 day in the SF Bay Area. Only a gold so maybe status matters?

ohmark Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 28447840)
I wonder how Plats will be impacted. They could cancel at 24 hours vs 48 hours.

Never has been any such written rule. When inquiring, have been told by more than one property they have no idea what I'm talking about. That's what happens when there is a so-called rule which no one has ever seen.

SkiAdcock Jun 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28448316)
I won't be looking for Marriott or SPG stay credit. I'll be looking for value. Flexibility has value - Marriott's approach denies me that. Lots of plans can change within 72 hours. It's different for multi-day resort vacations with the family but for single night business stays solo I can take my chances with a last-minute booking.

Then to a certain degree the change doesn't matter - unless your entire value proposition is based on cancellation policies. FWIW - I don't do last minute booking ressies, but don't those come w/ restrictions also?

BTW - if you're not looking for Marriott or SPG stay credit & are just going off the cancel policy, then what do you care where you stay? It could be MAR, SPG, Hilton, Choice, IHG, etc, etc, when you're booking last minute ressies.

FWIW - I think the new policy sucks the big-one & will join others in complaining about it, especially for properties that are not resorts, big cities w/ full bookings, etc, but if you're making a last minute booking then the new policy isn't going to impact you much.

Cheers.

halls120 Jun 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28447957)

Just loaded Hotel Tonight and will be using it soon.

Jon Maiman Jun 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Day before cancellation was bad enough for business stays. 2 to 3 days before cancellation is a deal breaker for most of my business stays. I need more flexibility for last minute changes. This will push me to use IHG as my primary program rather than as my secondary program even though I generally prefer Marriott properties over IHG properties. IHG's current cancellation policy is typically same day or worst case day before. E.g. generally much more flexible than Marriott. <OffSoapBox>.....

--Jon