Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I doubt anyone thinks I'm referring to dinner. Shrug
Din-dins, surely ?
Old May 14, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Just noticed that Marriott's elite terms and condition stipulate a hotel in Canada or U.S. without a lounge only has to provide a "continental" breakfast whereas a hotel in Europe has to provide "a daily choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points."

What constitutes a "daily choice of breakfast"? Meaning, if the hotel only offers a continental breakfast but I choose a full breakfast or something off the menu as opposed to a buffet.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
It's not a daily choice of breakfast. It's just poor wording. They should have said something like "a daily choice between (a) breakfast for two in the restaurant or (b) 750 points". (Another clearer way they could have said it is: "a daily choice of either breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points".) That's what they meant, they just didn't say it clearly.

What they mean by a "daily choice" is that you can choose to get breakfast one day and choose to get 750 points another day (if your staying more than one night).
Old May 14, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Din-dins, surely ?
Hey that works for me . I've also been known to say let's meet up for drinkies (although I got that from some UK pals ).

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:05 pm

Again, in fairness to hockeyinsider, I think his questioning is that it's specific that in the US/Canada it's cont'l brekkie or 750 points if there isn't a lounge, whereas Europe says brekkie or 750 points (not indicating either full or cont'l, so potentially up to interpretation).

So he's interpreting it as full no matter what, whereas some properties are considering it cont'l. Traditionally most European properties give full brekkie, but it's not a given.

And in fairness to Marriott, whether US/Canada/Europe, it's specific that it's elite +1 & only the elite's room. Yet a # of properties go beyond & extend it to more than elite+1 or more than one room booked under the elite's name.

That's why I say be careful what you wish for. You (generic you) push it too hard on one T&C, you (generic you) may find a property decides to enforce the other T&Cs it didn't before.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:58 pm

BTW, I googled because I was looking for some info to provide in the SPG forum re: a similar but different topic.

Found this:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-promot...d-breakfast.mi

"There's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, or if you’re staying at a hotel in Europe without a lounge, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant or 750 Rewards points. If you’re outside of the U.S. or Canada, you’ll also enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast daily."

So, while the majority of properties outside the US/Canada provide full brekkie, it's not a given per T&Cs (aka, dif T&Cs have dif wording).

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's not a daily choice of breakfast. It's just poor wording. They should have said something like "a daily choice between (a) breakfast for two in the restaurant or (b) 750 points". (Another clearer way they could have said it is: "a daily choice of either breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points".) That's what they meant, they just didn't say it clearly.

What they mean by a "daily choice" is that you can choose to get breakfast one day and choose to get 750 points another day (if your staying more than one night).
I get that but as someone else said they did not qualify "breakfast" as "continental," as they did in the clause pertaining to the U.S. and Canada.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:28 pm

I get that but as someone else said they did not qualify "breakfast" as "continental," as they did in the clause pertaining to the U.S. and Canada.
As mentioned in the post just above yours

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-promot...d-breakfast.mi

"There's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, or if you’re staying at a hotel in Europe without a lounge, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant or 750 Rewards points. If you’re outside of the U.S. or Canada, you’ll also enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast daily."

So, while the majority of properties outside the US/Canada provide full brekkie, it's not a given per T&Cs (aka, dif T&Cs have dif wording).
Old May 14, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, what does it matter? They didn't qualify it as "full breakfast" either, and in fact even when it's officially "continental breakfast", it's really up to the specific hotel what kind of breakfast it is.

Gosh, I've seen breakfasts where it's neither "continental" nor "full" exactly but a coupon for a certain amount of money, which at least covers the continental buffet but may alternately cover some, though not all, options off the menu as well. (Or you have yet another option, of ordering more, either a pricier buffet or pricier item[s] off the menu, and just paying the difference.) But again, that was at specific hotels, never in the T&Cs.

So no matter which version of the T&Cs you read, it's murky (or should be viewed as such). You have to know what that specific hotel gives, not some T&C mumbo jumbo, if you want to what you're really get.

And that's exactly why we have this thread:
which also (beyond its title) collects info on breakfast offered when the lounge closed or if there is no lounge.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I know when we stayed at the Crystal City Marriott (in Virginia) although it was supposed to just be a continental brekkie (since the lounge was closed), it was the guys in the restaurant who said we could have anything and the omelettes were delicious! I presume that was done with the full knowledge of TPTB!
Old May 15, 2017, 7:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Well, what does it matter?
Because there is a standard. It's in the terms of service. It is in everyone's interest for all properties to adhere to at least the minimum standard.

Gosh, I've seen breakfasts where it's neither "continental" nor "full" exactly but a coupon for a certain amount of money, which at least covers the continental buffet but may alternately cover some, though not all, options off the menu as well. (Or you have yet another option, of ordering more, either a pricier buffet or pricier item[s] off the menu, and just paying the difference.) But again, that was at specific hotels, never in the T&Cs.
Hotels can always exceed the minimum standard. That's not the issue here. The issue here is whether "breakfast" is different than a "continental breakfast." I would argue that any reasonable person reading the official terms of service for elite-level Marriott guests, as currently published on the Marriott website, would agree that a hotel in Europe has to provide more than a "continental breakfast" if either the hotel's lounge is closed or the hotel doesn't have a lounge.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If this is the standard...

In Europe, hotels without a Lounge offer a daily choice of
- breakfast for two in the restaurant or
- 750 points
...then it would seem if they provide you with a choice of Carnation Breakfast Bars (do they still make those?) in the restaurant or 750 points they've fulfilled their obligation. It might not be the breakfast you want, but they've provided breakfast. I'm not sure where you are getting that the requirement is anything but a minimal breakfast.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Now that someone has brought it up, using "brekkie" or anything other than "breakfast" makes it hard to search. Most people wouldn't think to put in "brekkie" when they are searching for breakfast information in a thread or forum.
I cringe every time I read the word brekkie.
Needs to be a bannable offense on all message boards and forums.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
+1.

Especially since there are 3 different spellings of "brekkie" in the Urban Dictionary quote posted above.

(Also that I cringe every time I read the word "brekkie")
Me too. It's much worse than nails scraping on a blackboard.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question what does "continental breakfast" mean anyway?

The issue here is whether "breakfast" is different than a "continental breakfast." I would argue that any reasonable person reading the official terms of service for elite-level Marriott guests, as currently published on the Marriott website, would agree that a hotel in Europe has to provide more than a "continental breakfast" if either the hotel's lounge is closed or the hotel doesn't have a lounge.
Well, here's another thing, has Marriott ever defined "continental breakfast"?

IMHO, "continental breakfast" in the hotel industry at large is such an overused and misused term that it's pretty meaningless. I think it originally meant the standard southern European breakfast of toast and jam and coffee. (It certainly didn't mean the lavish standard Scandinavian breakfast, even though technically the Scandinavian peninsula is still part of the "continent".)

There are budget hotel chain aplenty all across the US (not sure about other parts of the world) where "continental" breakfast might mean only donuts or bagels and maybe cereal for the kids.

OTOH, at "lower midscale" properties with a free breakfast, "continental" breakfast means whatever is on the buffet, even if it includes one or two token hot food items.

Finally, at those few Marriott-program properties where I've been given it, "continental" breakfast simply means the cold buffet, as opposed to the hot buffet. But what is on the cold buffet of course varies. At a better hotel, it's hopefully got at least sliced cheese/meats you can put on your bread for a bit more substantial breakfast than just bread alone.

Anyway, back to Europe, Europe is big place, with lots of different countries. As I already mentioned, putting Marriott aside for a moment, the standard across other indie or small chain hotels for breakfast is completely different in Italy versus Norway. It's as different (in variety, though not quality) as the difference between a Days Inn and the buffet at a Ritz, in that in Italy it's just a few breads and jams on your table, while in Norway it's often a multi-room buffet that beats any other free buffet I've had in hotels anywhere else in the world by a mile.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by apodo77
I cringe every time I read the word brekkie.
Needs to be a bannable offense on all message boards and forums.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Me too. It's much worse than nails scraping on a blackboard.
Yet it seems since this sentiment has been posted there has been a doubling down on its usage of "brekkie" instead of breakfast. Putting aside what someone might think of the word itself, an infrequent user coming to the site might search for a specific hotel and narrow the search for breakfast, not knowing there is a dedicated sticky. Using the term "brekkie" will make it impossible for someone to find the information. If we care about helping fellow travelers, we won't use the unusual term. The fact there has been increased and what seems gratuitous use of the term is mystifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.