FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1842366-what-constitutes-daily-choice-breakfast.html)

hockeyinsider May 13, 2017 3:12 pm

What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?

Just noticed that Marriott's elite terms and condition stipulate a hotel in Canada or U.S. without a lounge only has to provide a "continental" breakfast whereas a hotel in Europe has to provide "a daily choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points."

What constitutes a "daily choice of breakfast"? Meaning, if the hotel only offers a continental breakfast but I choose a full breakfast or something off the menu as opposed to a buffet.

In Europe, hotels without a Lounge offer a daily choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points. This benefit is not applicable when breakfast is included in the rate. In the U.S. and Canada: any time the Lounge isn't open, Platinum and Gold Elite members are entitled to a daily choice of continental breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points. A limited number of hotels in the U.S. do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed, but do offer 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast. These hotels include:

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Boston Marriott Long Wharf
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
JW Marriott Washington, DC
JW Marriott New Orleans
JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Essex House, New York City
Monterey Marriott
New York Marriott Marquis
Renaissance New York Hotel 57
Renaissance New York Times Square
San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

SkiAdcock May 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Traditionally European hotels offer a full brekkie if there's not a lounge. There are a few that might offer cont'l only & you can argue with them if you want re: what daily choice means, but the majority of reports on FT re: European hotels w/o lounges is that it's a full brekkie (ie, buffet if they have it or, example, full English if they don't have buffet).

If you're staying at a particular property & want to know what they do wrt brekkie, suggest you check this thread/post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.

CJKatl May 13, 2017 3:39 pm

delete

hockeyinsider May 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28307919)
Traditionally European hotels offer a full brekkie if there's not a lounge. There are a few that might offer cont'l only & you can argue with them if you want re: what daily choice means, but the majority of reports on FT re: European hotels w/o lounges is that it's a full brekkie (ie, buffet if they have it or, example, full English if they don't have buffet).

If you're staying at a particular property & want to know what they do wrt brekkie, suggest you check this thread/post:

Cheers.

I'm aware of the sticky. I'm more curious to know if others have pressed the issue.

For example, the Glasshouse in Edinburgh only provides a continental breakfast. That seems incompatible with the terms and conditions.

mahasamatman May 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28307863)
Just noticed that Marriott's elite terms and condition stipulate a hotel in Canada or U.S. without a lounge only has to provide a "continental" breakfast whereas a hotel in Europe has to provide "a daily choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points."

What constitutes a "daily choice of breakfast"?

I think you're parsing the phrase incorrectly. It's a daily choice of
  1. breakfast for two in the restaurant or
  2. 750 points.

SkiAdcock May 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28308086)
I think you're parsing the phrase incorrectly. It's a daily choice of
  1. breakfast for two in the restaurant or
  2. 750 points.

IMO hockeyinsider is interpreting the brekkie for European as full or off the menu, because Marriott forgot to include the word 'continental' in the European description as it did w/ US/Canada in the T&C. Probably 95-99% of the European properties offer full brekkie anyway if there's not a lounge.

He can duke it out w/ the Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, if he wants, but if their policy is cont'l he's probably stuck w/ cont'l & his pulling out the T&Cs won't get him that far. Shrug.

Of course the alternative is that Marriott changes it to say cont'l for European properties & those that used to offer full brekkie drop down to cont'l. It's a case of be careful what you ask for IMO.

Cheers.

mahasamatman May 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28308151)
IMO hockeyinsider is interpreting the brekkie for European as full or off the menu, because Marriott forgot to include the word 'continental' in the European description as it did w/ US/Canada in the T&C.

Marriott didn't forget anything. The breakfast option in Europe is always full breakfast.

And I don't know about others, but I haven't had "brekkie" since I was six years old. I've had "breakfast" ever since.

dayone May 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28308251)
I haven't had "brekkie" since I was six years old. I've had "breakfast" ever since.

Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
Brekie is Breakfast in Australian. It is spelled Brekkie, or Breakie in Australia.

CJKatl May 14, 2017 2:42 am

Now that someone has brought it up, using "brekkie" or anything other than "breakfast" makes it hard to search. Most people wouldn't think to put in "brekkie" when they are searching for breakfast information in a thread or forum.

PHLGovFlyer May 14, 2017 5:05 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28309138)
Now that someone has brought it up, using "brekkie" or anything other than "breakfast" makes it hard to search. Most people wouldn't think to put in "brekkie" when they are searching for breakfast information in a thread or forum.

+1.

Especially since there are 3 different spellings of "brekkie" in the Urban Dictionary quote posted above.

(Also that I cringe every time I read the word "brekkie") :p

dougef May 14, 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 28309364)
+1.

Especially since there are 3 different spellings of "brekkie" in the Urban Dictionary quote posted above.

(Also that I cringe every time I read the word "brekkie") :p

+1 more.

SkiAdcock May 14, 2017 6:02 am

Sometimes I write breakfast; sometimes I write brekkie. I doubt anyone thinks I'm referring to dinner. Shrug.

I'd say the majority of European properties offer full, but there are some that offer cont'l, such as the Glasshouse. Again, folk can duke it out w/ the property if they wish, but given it's got a specific up charge for a full or for room service the property will probably stick w/ it. On a dif note - it's interesting that rest of world doesn't have the breakfast policy spelled out like it is w/ US/Canada/Europe in the T&Cs.

Cheers.

CJKatl May 14, 2017 6:11 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28309475)
I'd say the majority of European properties offer full, but there are some that offer cont'l, such as the Glasshouse.

My deleted post, Post 2, actually pointed out the the Paris FS Champs Elysees, which does not have a lounge, used to offer the full breakfast but was only offering continental during my last stay. So that hotel can be added to the list of continental only.

Srisarin May 14, 2017 7:57 am

Yes, it's (NOT) very hard to determine the type of breakfast/brekkie offered by each property with or without lounge by looking in the aggregate thread that Ski selfishly keeps up (so that others can critique and criticize it)

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 28309138)

SkiAdcock May 14, 2017 8:24 am

BTW - if anyone does have updates on properties & what they do for lounge/brekkie, please post in the sticky:

Cheers.