Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rate rules say rollaway permitted, property says it is not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec

I booked a room at the Wardman Park Marriott with 2 double beds guaranteed. The rate rules say "rollaway permitted - 1". I am checking in on Friday and contacted the property via chat to request that they confirm a rollaway for the room.

The associate responds indicating that rollaways are only permitted in rooms with 1 King. I have gone over the rate rules multiple times and they DO NOT indicate an exclusion for rooms with 2 doubles. The rate rules say 1 King or 2 Doubles, my room is confirmed as 2 doubles with 5 guests.

The associate confirmed that 5 guests are permitted but a rollaway is not. Where do they think the fifth person is sleeping? I CAN put one of my kids in a sleeping bag, but that wasn't the plan. If the room does not permit a rollaway, the rate rules should clearly disclose this.

From a practical standpoint, do I have any real recourse here? If they can't put the bed in the room (I assume it's a fire code issue) I am not going to win that argument. I will certainly speak with the front desk manager during my stay to express my displeasure at how this was handled, but am interested in any other suggestions others may have.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by LPCJr
Where do they think the fifth person is sleeping?
Bathtub!

...but am interested in any other suggestions others may have.
Nicely point out that you understand they cannot put a rollaway in the room, but you depended on the written confirmation, which indicates one could be in the room. Suggest they give you a connecting room on them, so that you have the sleeping space for your family. That request is not unreasonable. If you don't get an immediate yes, call Marriott corporate in the morning and get them involved.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Or that they upgrade you to a suite with a fold-out sofa or enough room for a rollaway.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Or that they upgrade you to a suite with a fold-out sofa or enough room for a rollaway.
This. Much more likely to work than to ask for a second complimentary room.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
This is probably the approach I will go with. At this point, check in is tomorrow, and the property clearly isn't very full this weekend (rates are just over $100,- Night, which is a steal at this property). I think I'm just going to wait until check in and have a polite conversation with the front desk associate, or if it comes to it, the front desk manager.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Except many suites have a King and a pullout sofa, meaning you may only be sleeping four with a rollaway, and many hotels have a very limited number of suites but many connecting rooms. Provide both options to the hotel and let them choose which would be the easiest for them to sleep five.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:29 am

According to their website the maximum occupancy is 4. How did you book it with 5 guests?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
According to their website the maximum occupancy is 4. How did you book it with 5 guests?
They changed it at some point after I booked. When I booked, it said 5, and I made sure to enter 5 guests on Marriott.com. I was surprised it came up as I know 4 is often the limit. But I have a confirmation that says 5, and interesting enough, the associate I chatted with confirmed that 5 people are allowed, but a rollaway is not. That statement really makes no sense, because I think it is reasonable to assume that if you are allowing 5 people, all 5 need a place to sleep.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:07 am

They changed it at some point after I booked. When I booked, it said 5, and I made sure to enter 5 guests on Marriott.com. I was surprised it came up as I know 4 is often the limit. But I have a confirmation that says 5, and interesting enough, the associate I chatted with confirmed that 5 people are allowed, but a rollaway is not. That statement really makes no sense, because I think it is reasonable to assume that if you are allowing 5 people, all 5 need a place to sleep.
Maybe a two doubles room cannot physically accommodate a rollaway? Have you looked at room pictures online to see how much extra space those rooms may have? There are often fire safety rules and you cannot literally block a room with a rollaway, which can happen with two doubles and a rollaway in many standard rooms. Maybe this is the reason they had to re-evaluate their occupancy limits.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Maybe a two doubles room cannot physically accommodate a rollaway? Have you looked at room pictures online to see how much extra space those rooms may have? There are often fire safety rules and you cannot literally block a room with a rollaway, which can happen with two doubles and a rollaway in many standard rooms. Maybe this is the reason they had to re-evaluate their occupancy limits.
I agree and completely understand that they may have allowed booking for 5 in error. But they have not added any disclaimers to their rate tiles indicating that rollaways are only available in King rooms. This is what I will hang my hat on with respect to asking them to find an alternative way to accommodate us.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:42 am
Used to be highman123

I booked a room at the Wardman Park Marriott with 2 double beds guaranteed. The rate rules say "rollaway permitted - 1". I am checking in on Friday and contacted the property via chat to request that they confirm a rollaway for the room.

The associate responds indicating that rollaways are only permitted in rooms with 1 King. I have gone over the rate rules multiple times and they DO NOT indicate an exclusion for rooms with 2 doubles. The rate rules say 1 King or 2 Doubles, my room is confirmed as 2 doubles with 5 guests.

The associate confirmed that 5 guests are permitted but a rollaway is not. Where do they think the fifth person is sleeping? I CAN put one of my kids in a sleeping bag, but that wasn't the plan. If the room does not permit a rollaway, the rate rules should clearly disclose this.

From a practical standpoint, do I have any real recourse here? If they can't put the bed in the room (I assume it's a fire code issue) I am not going to win that argument. I will certainly speak with the front desk manager during my stay to express my displeasure at how this was handled, but am interested in any other suggestions others may have.
What I have done in these situations when no rollaways is permitted is to ask housekeeping to bring up more duvets, pillows etc and just made a bed on the floor. It works out well for me and my kids love it because it feels like a sleepover.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Chances are if you call housekeeping upon arrival in the room they will deliver a rollaway. Keep it simple.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Checked in this afternoon. Politely explained situation, front desk associate acknowledged and indicated that there was an error and they no longer allow you to book 5 in a room. In any case, his solution was an upgrade to a junior suite (1 king, 1 pullout, plus room for a rollaway). I thought this was very reasonable and he handled it very well.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.