Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dropping a night in an existing reservation changes rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping a night in an existing reservation changes rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by ohmark
Or not.
Well, if it ever happens that my nights do get repriced or that I'm forced to pay the extra night, I promise to come back here and post.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Hotels spend a lot of time crunching numbers and do get creative at times. In addition to calculating rates with minimum and maximum length of stay, they play games with "nightly" rates. Business hotels know weekends are tougher to sell than mid-week. When requesting a rate for a stay including a weekend night, some add up all the individual nightly rates and divide by the number of nights. Any change in start or end date will cause a new nightly rate to be appropriate. That's why some systems do not allow a simple "change", but cancel and rebook.

Separating reservations into likely segments will provide the least volatile rates.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by joshua362
That is the opposite of what I experience here in the US. The phone will reprice my stay, the last time at a SHS they didn't bother to tell me of the rate change. At the front desk, never ever a problem shortening up...
Really different experience here: I actually called the Plat line for shortening several stays in various parts of the world and no problem whatsoever - I always ask if the price is the same, and I always get a confirmation of the price before I hang up.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Not a new policy, when booking on Marriott.com under rate rules it will state what the requirements are for that rate and how changes will impact the rate. The problem is the stay is being repriced as a new reservation when you try and make changes. For some reason whenever anybody attempts to make a change to an existing reservation, whether you try on Marriott.com, the hotel tries, or the plat desk tries, the system makes this happen. I have been told the same thing when I try to shorten business stays and the government rate is no longer available, it reprices at BAR. So I will make the change at the front desk when checking in and have never had a problem or had the rate change.

That being said, the OP did not identify the hotel or the dates of the stay. If it is a resort, or there is a special event requiring a 3 night minimum, then a rate change may be justified. Also, some hotels, especially resorts and convention hotels charge an earlier departure fee. So be sure to make your adjustment to your check out date when you check in.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Well, if it ever happens that my nights do get repriced or that I'm forced to pay the extra night, I promise to come back here and post.
I've done it a few times at the hotel, but with the relatively new 24 hour cancellation policy, I imagine one could get more pushback doing it the day of as opposed to the night before if you know you're not going to need the following night.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We stay at hotel where this happens based on days of week. Marriott Dulles Suites. Sunday-Thursday hotel is $279/night. That's the rate. Varies rarely. However, Thursday drops to the weekend rate of $79/night if you couple it with a Friday or Friday/Saturday stay. So, Thursday and Friday ate $158 but Thursday alone is $279.00. This is a business hotel so weeknights are the premium.
I'm writing this reply from a room in Marriott Dulles Suites.

90% of the people who stay here during the week are business travelers, and it's a Sunday or Monday-to-Thursday crowd, generally speaking. If you're "only" Platinum here, you're basically nobody. Don't get me wrong, the staff here is fantastic. Really top-notch, and you'll definitely be treated well. But the top two floors are reserved either for Premier Platinum guests, or people paying the full $279/night. And this place is usually pretty full during the week.

I can imagine it's reasonably empty most weekends, but I think I've only been here for 2 weekends in the past nearly two years of staying here, and I wasn't exactly hanging out lounging at the hotel. I've spent more nights in the beds in this hotel than my own bed over that time span...

On Topic to the OP: Sometimes HUCA works with the phone agents. If you have Platinum status, call the Platinum line. I've had them help me out in a couple of situations with a call to the front desk. While I don't know what was said on their phone exchange, it doesn't hurt to have a "platinum agent" on your side if you spend enough time in Marriott beds...

-mvitale
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've checked out a day early from many hotels and have never been forced to pay for the missed night or been charged a higher rate than booked. YMMV, of course.
This +1.

While I've never asked at the desk in advance, looking on line I've frequently seen the anomalies described by OP. So if I'm leaving early from a multi-night reservation I just check out the last morning. I don't mention that I'm leaving "early." Have not had any negative reaction but I'd be fine if I were charged in accordance with the cancellation policy to which I agreed when I booked.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lililolo
I have a 3 nights reservation and tried to drop the last night. I called the Hotel and was told that if I changed the reservation from 3 nights to 2 nights, the rate is going to change.

Right now the rate is $224/night for 3 nights. The new rate is $368 for the first night and $278 for the second night.

So, I kept the three nights. I always think if I need to add a night, it has to go with the current rate, but not the other way around. I also did changes before and had no problem. Does the policy change?

I would think the Hotel would like to have the room back so they can offer it again to the public for higher rate.

Anybody has the same experience?
Wait to drop final night after checking in, hotel won't change rate imo with you there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.