Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked in on... Naked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Well, this is a disconcerting. Thankfully I usually use the latch or deadbolt when my room is occupied. Nevertheless, this has the potential for ending badly for people involved if this occurs to a guest that is a police officer or a lawfully armed civilian. At the very least, such a scenario will end up with the unexpected guest looking at the business end of the the occupant is carrying.
Happened to me. In 2014, at an on-airport (branded) hotel, at 2:30am.

I was assigned an occupied room. Walked in on an armed guest, I was looking down the barrel of a .40 cal, in what seems now, like a half second.

I still stay at that property free. I was also comp'd many, many points, drinks, and meals.

Still today, I knock several times loudly and let my presence be known when entering a room.

ALWAYS, 100% of the time.

I won't name the property out of respect as they really did take care of me. Same GM is still there, he ALWAYS comes out to greet me and must alert the hotel staff of my "VIP" status.

Lesson: always, ALWAYS ALWAYS knock.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be interesting if such a situation occurred in a property that has posted a "no guns on them premises" sign.....or even if the hotel guest wasn't legally allowed to have or carry a gun in that jurisdiction.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I was looking down the barrel of a .40 cal ... I still stay at that property free. I was also comp'd many, many points, drinks, and meals.
Hmmm ... just got a great idea to save on hotel costs when visiting my friends in CCW states
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be interesting if such a situation occurred in a property that has posted a "no guns on them premises" sign.....or even if the hotel guest wasn't legally allowed to have or carry a gun in that jurisdiction.
she, the armed guest, was a FFDO .. Federal Flight Deck Officer, flight deck crew who carry.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:36 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
she, the armed guest, was a FFDO .. Federal Flight Deck Officer, flight deck crew who carry.
maybe I'm confused by the thread title, but was she naked along with pointing a gun at you?
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
maybe I'm confused by the thread title, but was she naked along with pointing a gun at you?
The preferred adjective is scantily clad. At the time, I was paying more attention to her trigger finger and obeying her instructions on what position to take.

So, yes, a smoking hot, pistol packin' pilot.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
When do we get to the part where someone declares these are all due to Marriott IT failures?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
At the time, I was ... obeying her instructions on what position to take.
... bbbut I thought you'd said ...

Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
sorry to hear about your negative experience.
i have been on both sides, each time, swiftly resolved and no nakedness involved (thankfully).
i hope you are not affected in future by this.
i must have stayed at 300 places and so it's very occasional. i always have the inside lock on - pretty much as soon as i get into the room. mainly prevents over-enthusiastic staff who ignore the 'do not disturb' sign (some do exist). still quite alarming as sometimes people don't knock and enter.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I will never understand this mentality. What good do they do?!
I don't know but it was important that they at least said I'm sorry for what happened.

As an update, I did get my apology and offered 20k worth of points.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
I am a lifetime plat and had the same thing happen. I didn’t think to ask for anything, I just call the front desk and exploded on the clerk for 5 minutes.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dubosc
I am a lifetime plat and had the same thing happen. I didn’t think to ask for anything, I just call the front desk and exploded on the clerk for 5 minutes.

I would like to say I didn't explode on the FDC when it happened to me once, but I did. I was in the shower. No sign on the door & deadbolt not thrown, so probably housekeeper thought it was fine to enter. I actually didn't want compensation, just not that it not happen again. I calmed down later. I think they sent me food/drink as a make-up (this was years ago), which I didn't ask for or expect. I was fine w/ that as an apology, along w/ the we'll make sure this doesn't happen again. I stayed there another 12 years & it didn't happen, so assume they got it sorted..

Two things that came out of that experience:

* I decided "I" have as much responsibility as the hotel does to make sure I'm safe, so I always throw the deadbolt/that thingy thing that crosses over the lock (does everyone know what I mean?) so someone can't get in.

* If something happens I don't explode on a FDC. Often it's not their fault if something other than check-in went wrong. Having said that, I'm polite but very, very firm w/ the FDC on getting (whatever it is) sorted.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Ain't nothing like old hotels that still use real keys.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Currently at the Hampton Inn Wilmington Downtown. I was in the bathroom when the door to the room opened and someone walked in. I said "hello?" and a woman said "oh sorry I was just checking on something" and left. I called the front desk and was told that it was the assistant housekeeper who wasn't aware I'd checked in and was making sure the room had towels and hangars. It was hard even getting an apology out of them and it wasn't until I told them how startling it was they finally did apologize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.