Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bill Marriott: will spend "lots" of money improving Vinoy; and new JW in Clearwater

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bill Marriott: will spend "lots" of money improving Vinoy; and new JW in Clearwater

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Because of the buyout? Good point. I wonder whether Marriott might choose to make some $ by divesting one of them, but to whom? Fairmont? Hilton, Hyatt, and Holiday Inn are all just north of them already.
Marriott does not make money by losing a franchise.

The combined Marriott+Starwood company will have 30 brands. That means it will be in a position to have up to 30 franchises in the same neighborhood, without duplicating a brand. In reality, the hotel brands in a given area will be appropriate for that area.

But there's no reason that a Marriott and a Sheraton won't be able to be across the street from each other -- just as there's now no reason why a Marriott and a Renaissance or a Courtyard and a Springhill can't be near each other.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:16 pm Reason: missing word
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott does not make money by losing a franchise.

The combined Marriott+Starwood company will have 30 brands. That means it will be in a position to have up to 30 franchises in the same neighborhood, without duplicating a brand. In reality, the hotel brands in a given area will appropriate for that area.

But there's no reason that a Marriott and a Sheraton won't be able to be across the street from each other -- just as there's now no reason why a Marriott and a Renaissance or a Courtyard and a Springhill can't be near each other.
You're right -- I didn't think that through. In fact, my last Marriott-family stay was at a TownPlace Suites which had a Fairfield Inn & Suites literally right next to it. Forgot all about that.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
"whole new level of luxury"

Vinoy to have a "whole new level of luxury." http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...urious/2269772
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
Vinoy to have a "whole new level of luxury." http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...urious/2269772
"Helping to drive the enhancements is a desire to cater to millennials and younger families." "We are always looking to focus on the needs of the customer of today and the next generation traveler, so we want to have products and services that are relevant to the millennials while being true to our historic nature," Readey said. "So, we integrate historic with hip."

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
"Helping to drive the enhancements is a desire to cater to millennials and younger families." "We are always looking to focus on the needs of the customer of today and the next generation traveler, so we want to have products and services that are relevant to the millennials while being true to our historic nature," Readey said. "So, we integrate historic with hip."

Cheers.
This sounds like the antithesis of luxury to me. Not many luxury properties are designed to appeal to young customers with lots of kids. In fact, that sort of clientele is likely to drive away many customers looking for a true luxury experience.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like the antithesis of luxury to me. Not many luxury properties are designed to appeal to young customers with lots of kids. In fact, that sort of clientele is likely to drive away many customers looking for a true luxury experience.
You would be surprised to learn that there are young customers w/ children who have a hefty bank balance & do stay in luxury properties & pay for them vs. doing award stays or looking for free upgrades Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, Aman, etc, have children's programs.

Also, if you read the article that ohmark posted, the Vinoy club which has privileges at the hotel & annual membership fees of $3,600-$20,000 w/ monthly fees of $235-460 (so not exactly chump change!), is updating their club to include more activities for children based on feedback from members.

I'll be interested to see how the "historic hip" renovation turns out

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You would be surprised to learn that there are young customers w/ children who have a hefty bank balance & do stay in luxury properties & pay for them vs. doing award stays or looking for free upgrades Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, Aman, etc, have children's programs.

Also, if you read the article that ohmark posted, the Vinoy club which has privileges at the hotel & annual membership fees of $3,600-$20,000 w/ monthly fees of $235-460 (so not exactly chump change!), is updating their club to include more activities for children based on feedback from members.

I'll be interested to see how the "historic hip" renovation turns out

Cheers.
Read my post. I never said that some people with kids don't have high levels of income/wealth or that people with kids never stay in luxury properties. I just pointed out that lots of young kids are "likely to drive away many customers looking for a true luxury experience."
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just pointed out that lots of young kids are "likely to drive away many customers looking for a true luxury experience."
Cite?
Old May 13, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Groundbreaking on Vinoy renovation and some history. http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...ations/2276858
Old May 8, 2017, 6:47 am

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...tel-to/2319802

Excerpt:

"Long awaited $100 million project would bring JW Marriott luxury hotel to Clearwater Beach

Sales are to begin this week for 36 fully furnished JW Marriott Residences, the first of their kind in the United States. They would occupy four upper floors of what also would be a 166-room JW Marriott hotel, one of only about 75 worldwide.

It would be Tampa Bay's first five-star hotel.

On Monday, Marriott confirmed that it had given Lele the green light to launch sales of the condos on the Multiple Listing Service under the JW Marriott name. The one-, two- and three-bedroom units, ranging from about 850 to 1,350 square feet, will be priced from $550,000 to $1.3 million and could be occupied by the owners for a month at a time, Lele said. When rented out, the condos would serve as suites for the hotel and be managed by Marriott.

The 166 traditional hotel rooms would occupy the rest of the 15-story building, which would have an infinity pool, outdoor decks at various levels and a Spa by JW. Plans also call for two restaurants, one similar to the market- style Burlock Coast Seafare & Spirits in Fort Lauderdale, the other serving Peruvian-Japanese fusion cuisine.

The rooms, residences and restaurants all would have views of the 300-foot private beach, which faces Sand Key across an inlet and also looks toward the Gulf of Mexico.

Construction could start this fall after the existing hotel is razed and would take about two years, Lele said."
Old May 8, 2017, 1:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyer4512
And the Sheraton across the street will be Marriott in the near future
Both of which are really dated in my opinion. I know the Marriott was undergoing renovation when I was there last (mid 2016). No idea about the Sheraton, but it needs it.

Looks like the Marriott finished rooms reno, but not much else. I'd also add that the Wydnam is incredibly sad looking, so it'll be great to get it torn down and something new built.

Last edited by nevansm; May 8, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Editing for new info
Old May 8, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
Both of which are really dated in my opinion. I know the Marriott was undergoing renovation when I was there last (mid 2016). No idea about the Sheraton, but it needs it.

Looks like the Marriott finished rooms reno, but not much else. I'd also add that the Wydnam is incredibly sad looking, so it'll be great to get it torn down and something new built.

There is a new Wyndham Grand next to Hyatt which is very nice

IMO the Sheraton having a beach gives it a big plus over the Marriott on the Inter coastal

We are rarely in the room so it's more about location for us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.