Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bill Marriott: will spend "lots" of money improving Vinoy; and new JW in Clearwater

Bill Marriott: will spend "lots" of money improving Vinoy; and new JW in Clearwater

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...ential/2262730
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Yes but, Will he chase the ghosts away?

I'm curious to see just where they put the JW. They just built a nice CY in I think it's Madeira beach. Close to the ocean but actually not that close
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
What is there to improve at the Vinoy?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FLgrr
I suppose to go from "wonderful" to "incredibly wonderful"?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by FLgrr
Even hotter front desk clerks
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by quattroking
Even hotter front desk clerks
Well then, check me in and out repeatedly so I can see them
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Space is extremely limited in Clearwater especially on the beach area. It certainly won't be on Sand Key which is just south of Clearwater beach because all the homes and large condo buildings. There're a TON of expensive homes all over the area. It might be a better idea on St Pete beach to compete with the Don Caesar.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Discoverist
The article says Clearwater, not Clearwater Beach - although there are a number of spots along Clearwater Beach that would be perfect for a smaller hotel (article has it under 200 rooms including 35 condos). Hopefully, they would NOT consider downtown Clearwater which has been taken over by the Scientologists who have "chased" the tourists away. Perhaps they are looking at something on the east side of Clearwater right on Tampa Bay. It will be interesting to see where they locate!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:13 am

The Vinoy is very nice. However, there are some areas for improvement--the elevator lobbies and hallways to the east wing of the main building are dated and could be updated/cleaned up. IIRC the garage elevator lobby there was a wood-paneled 70s relic. The main way to get between the wing and lobby/restaurant there was a set of stairs, so access could be improved there as well.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Ceres

I'm curious to see just where they put the JW.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...future/2265173

Excerpts:

"On a visit to the Tampa Bay area last month, Marriott International chairman J.W. "Bill'' Marriott Jr. told the Tampa Bay Times that he had reviewed plans for such a hotel in Clearwater. And now a developer says he has been in close contact with the company about building a 202-room gulf-view hotel on the site of what is now the Wyndham Garden Clearwater Beach.

The Wyndham's owner, Uday Lele, discussed his plans this week following speculation about where a JW Marriott would go and who would build it. Lele said he and architect Oscar Benavides met with the 84-year-old Marriott in January for what was supposed to be a five-minute meeting but ran for nearly half an hour.

After looking at the plans, Lele recalled, "(Marriott) said 'Thank you for trusting us with your property.' ''

Lele said the proposed hotel would have 166 regular rooms and 36 condos individually owned but rented through Marriott. Owners could spend up to a month at a time in their units and would split the rents with Marriott.

The condos, with one to three bedrooms, would serve as suites for the hotel, Lele said.

All rooms would have views of the hotel's 300-foot private beach that faces Sand Key, just across a nearby bridge, but that also looks toward the Gulf of Mexico. Because of a southwest jog the coastline takes in the area, guests could stand on the beach and watch the sun rise in the morning and set in the evening.

If the Marriott deal is finalized, the 110-room hotel now on the site would cease its affiliation with Wyndham in the next few months and be knocked down by year's end, Lele said."

Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
And if you take that bridge onto Sand Key, and pass Sand Key Park, you're at the "Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key" all of a half mile away...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
And if you take that bridge onto Sand Key, and pass Sand Key Park, you're at the "Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key" all of a half mile away...
And the Sheraton across the street will be Marriott in the near future
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
And the Sheraton across the street will be Marriott in the near future
Because of the buyout? Good point. I wonder whether Marriott might choose to make some $ by divesting one of them, but to whom? Fairmont? Hilton, Hyatt, and Holiday Inn are all just north of them already.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Because of the buyout? Good point. I wonder whether Marriott might choose to make some $ by divesting one of them, but to whom? Fairmont? Hilton, Hyatt, and Holiday Inn are all just north of them already.
OMNI Hotels? They seem to be growing in the USA, for instance the Westin in Providence RI was reflagged as an OMNI within the last few years.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Why would it have to be rebranded and/or sold?

Marrott most likely doesn't own it to profit from a sale.

As a wise FT'er once schooled me here a few months ago, hotels don't only compete with other chains, they compete with ALL hotels in the area, affiliated or not.

FWIW, I've stayed at this Sheraton a few times on points, its very nice, love the color of brick they used around the pool.

PS how ridiculous is "Lele said he and architect Oscar Benavides met with the 84-year-old Marriott in January for what was supposed to be a five-minute meeting but ran for nearly half an hour."

It takes over 5 minutes to take off jackets, shake hands and make introductory small talk..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.