Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mobile Key General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Key General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Three times in the last couple of weeks, I’ve been given the option for a Mobile Key when I do mobile check in. Every single time, a message later appears that the front desk has to check my ID before issuing a mobile key. Each of these times, the front desk has just given me regular keys and no mobile key was ever sent to my phone, I’m trying to figure out the point here. Isn’t part of the idea that you skip the front desk? Stopping at the front desk to show ID would seem to defeat the purpose.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
mobile key =

key never arrives or key doesn't work so have to take elevator back down to desk I passed 5 mins ago.

My last Lucy moment was key did not work after using gym in the am, well before noon. Back down to the desk.."do you have ID...?"

Can't even keep their website up (down as I type), how is a mobile key going to function...

Good Grief.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:36 pm

Received a mobile key before arriving at the hotel in Burlington, MA. It worked a few times but wouldn’t open the concierge lounge. I finally went to the front desk to get a real key. Conclusion, not ready for prime time... Using an iPhone 8 Plus.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: National Exec.Elite, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz PC Marriott, Hilton, SPG Gold.
Mobile Check-in with Mobile Key

Has anyone had experience with using mobile check-in at a property that has "mobile key"?

The reason I ask, is that I'm wondering if I could use this method to book a rewards stay (7500pts) to get my 1 last night needed for 75 nights (Plat Prem Elite) The lowest available near me is 22500.

I wonder if they would know or care that I never swiped the mobile key and entered the room.

Any thoughts or experience to share?

HJ
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:22 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
A forum search brings up this thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...obile-key.html

Nick
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: National Exec.Elite, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz PC Marriott, Hilton, SPG Gold.
Thanks, Nick.
There's some good info on there about the Mobile Key program itself, but wondering more if anyone has ever used it for a mattress run. Tried/succeded, tried/failed? I may just gamble the 7500 points and see for myself.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Stayed at a few Marriott properties in Calgary, rarely use the Mobile Key as it never worked the first few times, or the key never downloads and I end up having to go back to the regular card key. Just tried it again yesterday, download was successful but I could not get onto the elevator with the Mobile Key. Went back to the card key...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
I've always had to go to the front desk to "check-in" and for them to activate my mobile key. I was never able to do mobile check-in and go directly to my room with the mobile key.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:53 pm

I've used Mobile Check-in countless times, stayed at brand-new properties which had the proximity keycards (instead of mag-stripe), but I've never been to a Marriott property where the mobile key function actually worked.

To be honest, unless the front desk has a line rivaling the Hotel Penn in NYC, I'd much rather have a physical keycard. Too many things to go wrong with a phone app (app itself, internet connectivity, battery issues, phone unreliability).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

Mobile Key procedures not trained

Does anyone else have issue with consistency/issues with mobile key procedures at local properites. The whole point is not stopping by front desk. Some properties say you have to stop and show ID, some don't. I would think a secure phone on a Marriot site would be more secure than a ID which can be faked. For example Renaissance Schaumburg does not require stop, yet down the road Renaissance Downtown Chicago does to show ID. If you park at Marriott Suites O'hare you have to stop by front desk for a pass to get out of the parking lot. All properties consistently don't give lounge access and have to get key to lounge to access.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
Does anyone else have issue with consistency/issues with mobile key procedures at local properites. The whole point is not stopping by front desk. Some properties say you have to stop and show ID, some don't. I would think a secure phone on a Marriot site would be more secure than a ID which can be faked. For example Renaissance Schaumburg does not require stop, yet down the road Renaissance Downtown Chicago does to show ID. If you park at Marriott Suites O'hare you have to stop by front desk for a pass to get out of the parking lot. All properties consistently don't give lounge access and have to get key to lounge to access.
I talked to a hotel that made me show a ID and they said management requires for insurance and liability reasons. The front desk representative said it is basically like when you swipe your credit card/debit card. Some places require you to sign the receipt and some don't.

I can sorta see the hotel's concern with this because honestly you can give anyone your login information and have them download the app and they can do mobile check in that way. I know it is against the Terms and Conditions but I had one of my friends download the app on their phone.... gave him my login info and it worked for them without a issue since he was arriving at the stay before me. I wasn't even in the state of that hotel yet!

I see your point as well.......for most people that use the mobile check in they don't want to have to stop by the front desk.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:00 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Just a thought, does checking in via mobile app/key reduce your chance of getting a room upgrade?
Old May 8, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Anyone knows how mobile keys works? On one of my last stay I notice there is key logo on the apps, so I was trying to use it. I never been able to activate the lift and entrance door using the mobile keys. The floor has a door to access as it is a floor with a pool.

I did manage open the room key with the mobile keys but the success rate is not 100% and never on 1st try. My understanding it uses Bluetooth, so technically the phone does not need to be in direct contact with the key reader. Am I correct?
Old May 8, 2019, 3:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Hilton consistently gets the digital key no problem, Marriott consistently disappoints. I am a huge fan of marriott but the fact that most often you need check in to activate it and it doesnt work for lifts/lounge/pool are just annoyances ....
KRSW and jhartvu like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Hilton consistently gets the digital key no problem, Marriott consistently disappoints. I am a huge fan of marriott but the fact that most often you need check in to activate it and it doesnt work for lifts/lounge/pool are just annoyances ....
This is why I never use it. It's a partial solution and a faulty one at that. Not to mention if your phone dies and you have to stop at the desk anyway (which is not a Marriott problem). It doesn't inconvenience me to carry a small key card around, and it doesn't inconvenience me to stop at the desk, because I need to anyway for lounge access, and I may ask if an upgrade is available when I arrive at the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.