Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott keeps adding promo nights to my account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott keeps adding promo nights to my account?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Shrug. A little hard to get excited about a glitch like this getting fixed. Presumably everyone has only one birthday a year, so they get one elite night credit. If someone (not aimed at any FTer specifically) was silly enough to count on a glitch to get status, then their bad.

This won't help w/ the clawback, but Happy Birthday!

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:13 pm
ymx
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Same here. They clawed back about 9 nights and now I'm 6 short of Platinum. My status still shows as Platinum so if it changes next week I plan on calling and see if they will honor it for next year.

Last edited by ymx; Dec 31, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Are you expecting that they should or hoping that they might grant you Platinum.

If they grant you platinum, I might also call and see if they will give it to me since I am only about 50 nights short.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
Same here. They clawed back about 9 night and now I'm 6 short of Platinum. My status still shows as Platinum so if it changes next week I plan on calling and see if they will honor it for next year.
Why would you rely on a glitch to keep status? They owe you one elite night. That's it. Unless you can explain how your mother gave birth to you 9 times in a year.in which case forget Marriott - go on every talk show!

Here's what's going to happen when the folk counting on the glitch call in. They're going to tell you it was a glitch and then they'll eventually drop the program because of the hassles.

Btw - your plat status will show until Feb.then you may or may not drop down. Worst case you drop to gold and get a head start on status next year due to roll over nights, which is more important than phantom birthday nights. Geesh

Cheers
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
I gained and lost 4 nights this way. Dropped from 77 to 73 nights. I called and spoke to the Diamond folks. They knew about this issue in early December but just took back the nights at the end of December. If you (as I did) got an email welcoming you as a Platinum, you're OK. They comped me Platinum based upon my stays, etc. for the past three years.

This was a mix up, I told the Diamond women that I had thought that they had gone back and credited my points nights from earlier this year. They didn't and she understood that Marriott should have done a better job informing the elites. I told her that Marriott lost nights that I gave to others due to this mistake.

But hey, this is small stuff to what Hyatt has done in 2015. Here they left the barn door open and instead of everyone going out, everyone came and got in for free
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:59 pm
ymx
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
... I had thought that they had gone back and credited my points nights from earlier this year.
This crossed my mind, too, when I saw the nights appearing.

Did they officially comp you back up to 75 nights, or if not will you also get the benefit of 23 rollover nights?

Last edited by ymx; Jan 1, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
But hey, this is small stuff to what Hyatt has done in 2015. Here they left the barn door open and instead of everyone going out, everyone came and got in for free
Sorry, what was that?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ymx
This crossed my mind, too, when I saw the nights appearing.

Did they officially comp you back up to 75 nights, or if not will you also get the benefit of 23 rollover nights?
No rollover nights since comp'd to Platinum, regardless of the number of nights left in the account. And we don't know the number of rollover nights that may have been posted for 2015.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I gained and lost 4 nights this way. Dropped from 77 to 73 nights. I called and spoke to the Diamond folks. They knew about this issue in early December but just took back the nights at the end of December. If you (as I did) got an email welcoming you as a Platinum, you're OK. They comped me Platinum based upon my stays, etc. for the past three years.

This was a mix up, I told the Diamond women that I had thought that they had gone back and credited my points nights from earlier this year. They didn't and she understood that Marriott should have done a better job informing the elites. I told her that Marriott lost nights that I gave to others due to this mistake.

Diamond women???
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Lifetime plat here who obviously doesn't have a dog in the fight.

I can understand how someone might be miffed if their account showed them over the 75 night threshold, then on 12/31 Marriott adjusted a glitch and they dropped below. I could see such a person making a good case to MR that they would have made additional stays had they known they needed a few more nights, and I would be shocked if customer care did not grant them a courtesy platinum renewal.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Lifetime plat here who obviously doesn't have a dog in the fight.

I can understand how someone might be miffed if their account showed them over the 75 night threshold, then on 12/31 Marriott adjusted a glitch and they dropped below. I could see such a person making a good case to MR that they would have made additional stays had they known they needed a few more nights, and I would be shocked if customer care did not grant them a courtesy platinum renewal.
I'm Lifetime Plat so no dog in this fight either, but I think the folk who don't really track their accounts probably have more of a right to be upset if they just saw the #s & didn't dig down. Those who do track their accounts & have been posting for 2 months about all the extra birthday nights/glitches, eh, not so much.

My take on it is if something thinks they'll get Plat legitimately next year (75 nights), then ask for the Plat comp. But if someone might not, then decline the comp Plat & go for the roll-over nights as that will help one get to Plat easier (example, the person who was at 73 nights - that's 23 nights towards status for next year & if you add in an extra 15 for the credit card if he has it, then that's a pretty good start on status).

Cheers.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm Lifetime Plat so no dog in this fight either, but I think the folk who don't really track their accounts probably have more of a right to be upset if they just saw the #s & didn't dig down. Those who do track their accounts & have been posting for 2 months about all the extra birthday nights/glitches, eh, not so much.

My take on it is if something thinks they'll get Plat legitimately next year (75 nights), then ask for the Plat comp. But if someone might not, then decline the comp Plat & go for the roll-over nights as that will help one get to Plat easier (example, the person who was at 73 nights - that's 23 nights towards status for next year & if you add in an extra 15 for the credit card if he has it, then that's a pretty good start on status).

Cheers.
Again, that is presuming they don't have Plat now (and just failing to renew) and there are no rollover nights from the previous year.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Absolutely, 100% agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.