Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone bought back status this year and seen a decrease in Lifetime points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
http://www.marriott.com/marriott/elitebuyback.mi
Print Wikipost

Anyone bought back status this year and seen a decrease in Lifetime points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Plat at 40,000 is a lot of points. Since the main benefits of plat are welcome points and an extra 25% (2.5 points per $ over Gold) there's no value for the $100/nt SHS/FFI/RI/TPS guest with their low welcome points and in the case of RI/TPS half pointearning ratios. However a FS/CY regular staying $150/nt one-nighters would see their buyback paying dividends after 45/50 nights. Of course if they have no chance of making Plat the proper way then they'll only have a few nights to accumulate their profits. For most FS/CY 1-night-stay regulars paying $300+/nt it's well worthwhile. I suspect there's few of them though.
And you can buy Plat for less than $400 (and earn a few points in the process). But that's another thread.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by beachfan
Had I not bought platinum, for two years, I'd have 80k Redeemable points more than I did and 80k lifetime points more.

The benefit from Platinum (and the only reason I did it) was for the extra bonus points (which I thought brought me closer to lifetime status). Those were about 20k a year, 40k total.

So I now got back the 80k points I lost (40k in adjustment and 40k in bonuses in excess of what gold would give me).

Not sure what other benefits there are of Platinum except UA silver which I haven't flown during that time period.
So you net paid 40K points (paid 80K, got back 40K in extra earnings) and 40K lifetime points (paid 80K, got back 40K in extra earnings). Now they provided you with 40K points and 40K lifetime points, putting you back to even with not having paid for Platinum, and any Platinum benefits you got (e.g. lounge access, upgrades) are gravy.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Read post 59 on the thread cited to.

Perhaps MR decided to emphasize the disclaimer this year vrs facing the same problem it had before.

Originally Posted by ohmark
Interesting that our 2014 subject wiki (says originally posted by mariott.com) does not contain the disclaimer. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ck-back-2.html
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by leeky

Perhaps MR decided to emphasize the disclaimer this year vrs facing the same problem it had before.
That would be my guess. And presumably if they keep offering it, my money is on the verbiage re: deduction of lifetime will continue to stay on the home page.

And given the upcoming merger, this might be the last year Marriott offers buy-back. No idea of course.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by leeky
Read post 59 on the thread cited to.

My distinct recollection is that folks posted here that MR failed to even mention this "feature" when they first offered the program, never mind emphasize it. While one might expect a deduction for transferred points, I don't think most would expect a deduction for earned points spent to obtain a benefit. Of course MR can make whatever rules it wants to, but t'would be nice if it listed all the conditions when the offer was first made. However, as pointed out above, MR clearly listed the condition this year and so all were warned.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:34 pm

I am thinking once you made Lifetime gold or Lifetime Plat, you will stay as a gold/Plat for the rest of your life. Then the accumulated points do not matter that much and you can transfer points to family members or friends to help them buy back their status, right?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by lililolo
I am thinking once you made Lifetime gold or Lifetime Plat, you will stay as a gold/Plat for the rest of your life. Then the accumulated points do not matter that much and you can transfer points to family members or friends to help them buy back their status, right?
Correct.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool. So if someone will lend me a few hundred thousand points (if you're transferring them to your friend, send them by way of me so I can pick up lifetime status in the middle, then I'll send them on) we're good to go.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Cool. So if someone will lend me a few hundred thousand points (if you're transferring them to your friend, send them by way of me so I can pick up lifetime status in the middle, then I'll send them on) we're good to go.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:01 pm

To SkiAdcock:

As you can see on this thread, many customers did NOT know about the lifetime balance deduction because as stated in my post: "No publication from Marriott and no representative had ever told this to me before." The company has a legal obligation to disclose such terms clearly and directly to customers. Hiding such terms in micro fine print violates that legal requirement. Furthermore, I could care less if Marriott eliminates the buyback program -> it is currently hurting their customers more than it is helping.

My post is meant to help others by:

1) warning them of the situation
2) giving others a means to be made whole (via a class action suit should it come to that) if they have already been impacted either this year or in previous years as I was

So while I respect your opinion, I sure hope others won't think like you. If we all had the same "a class action will get you nowhere" attitude, then we would be living in an uncivilized world where corporations abuse the rights of customers.

Thanks,
tigrr49

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
First, welcome to Flyertalk!

Now to the other stuff:

The CEO has bigger things to think about, such as the upcoming merger w/ Starwood. You'll get nowhere w/ a class action, and the end result of your attempting to do so could be Marriott eliminating the buyback program entirely. They're not required to offer one.

As leeky mentioned, once you were notified of the deduction of lifetime points w/ this buyback you had the option to continue w/ it or decline it. I'm assuming you declined this time.

FWIW - I've always found the buyback to be a so/so proposition. If it gets someone lounge access (assuming they stay at full-service properties) & they think they can earn back the points that are being deducted from their regular account, then it might be worth it. Otherwise I don't see it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Except if the points deducted as a result of the transfer put you below the lifetime requirement.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
Except if the points deducted as a result of the transfer put you below the lifetime requirement.
That's a strange meaning of "Lifetime".

But I believe someone actually tested that, and retained the lifetime status.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sethb
That's a strange meaning of "Lifetime".

But I believe someone actually tested that, and retained the lifetime status.
Seth, I know someone tested it and had their lifetime points balance decline. They were still above the 2MM mark.

I don't know of anyone testing it and going below 2MM; I would expect their LT status to be revoked if they go below 2MM LT points. I'm just above 2MM LT points and I have no intention of testing it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC someone did test it with their points going below the threshold and they lost the lifetime status. I think this was a case of someone making lifetime status, then transferring points to spouse to help spouse's quest for lifetime status.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Check post 1725, yes it did happen.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...tatus-115.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.