Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping didn't service room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Thanks for naming the hotel. My works next major project is just south of BWI. We will avoid this prop.
There are many properties closer to BWI that would be much easier to get into and out of (Baltimore takes about 30 minutes just to get out of the Inner Harbor), plus you'll find much lower rates. I would look around Linthicum/Ellicott City area. The Inner Harbor is good if you need to be close to the tourist places, Hopkins, or the convention center mainly.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
OK, a lot of discussion here which ends up concluding the property is at fault and it suddenly becomes paramont to name the property and "shame" it. Of course none of us have the true context of events because we were not there. That said, there are now threads asserting that someone calls the OP a liar. How are we drawing these conclusions? Let's look at what the OP really says:

Originally Posted by happymommy
No late checkout, and when I called down to request it (I know it's supposed to be a platinum perk but usually not available) the font desk girl was insisting that I had requested no maid service, actually arguing with me. She was really rude.

It really wasn't so bad but for her to insist that I had told them that when I wasn't even at the hotel at the time, then saying our do not disturb sign was out, which it wasn't, was just wrong. A simple saying I'm sorry would have been appreciated, but she just kept going on about how it was my fault was rude.
OK, so somehow HK and the front desk get the impression that the OP requested no HK service and that a DND sign is on the door. So now we are talking about a miscommunication which by itself opens up a myriad of possibilities which have nothing to do with SHS ignoring the OP. No, the OP does not make this request, but someone did and thus things go awry. Kids/guests switching signs comes to my mind. As to the no HK request, did it come via phone or does someone present themself at the desk? In any case the room number gets mixed up. IOW, I do not discount the fact that the desk asserts a no HK request was made. But by the OP's own words, I'm not so sure they take any of this into account and instead focus upon what they perceive as rudeness. No way to prove or disprove what was said or done here between any of the parties. And most definitely no basis to condemn the property.

There always exists a system of redress at a Marriott property. Somebody is always in charge, and if a manager who is qualified to speak for the hotel is not availible, it's a simple matter of leaving your name and having the next manager contact you -- they do keep a log for these sort of things 24/7. Reading through these things, it sounds to me as if the OP might have been a bit tone deaf as they focus more on what wasn't done instead of what could or could not be done at that specific moment ( along with concerns about valet and an assortment of other things ).

Call it a stay gone awry and opportunity missed. Time to move on with life.

Barry
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by joshua362
No defending the housekeeping or the hotel's response to it but playing devil's advocate:

Is it possible the DND sign was left out by you or the kids in the morning and wasn't taken off until later? Or you didn't vacate the room for the day until later in the afternoon and they didn't check back for service?
It's possible that someone else had a DND sign on their door, and a child from another family pulled it when the parents weren't looking, and moved it down a door or two.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by kipper
It's possible that someone else had a DND sign on their door, and a child from another family pulled it when the parents weren't looking, and moved it down a door or two.
You left out the part, though, where the child returns later, after housekeeping was done for the day but before the OP got back to the room, and took the sign off the room. But that's definitely what likely happened.

I'm surprised nobody has surmised that a spaceship may have landed and the aliens may have used her room to shower after the long trip, temporarily making the door invisible to passersby, including the housekeeper, preventing her from cleaning the room.

The most likely explanation is a lazy, incompetent housekeeper tried to cut corners and get paid for not doing her job and the hotel has no systems in place to prevent this. More importantly, the OP, who was the only one actually there, indicated the hotel's response was inappropriate, which is worse than the housekeeping issue. Sometimes things happen. It's how a hotel responds that's more important.

Why can't people just support the OP without having to offer bogus explanations of how something innocent may have happened? It really appears this hotel just dropped the ball, which other have confirmed is not an isolated incident.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn

OK, so somehow HK and the front desk get the impression that the OP requested no HK service and that a DND sign is on the door. So now we are talking about a miscommunication which by itself opens up a myriad of possibilities which have nothing to do with SHS ignoring the OP. No, the OP does not make this request, but someone did and thus things go awry. Kids/guests switching signs comes to my mind. As to the no HK request, did it come via phone or does someone present themself at the desk? In any case the room number gets mixed up. IOW, I do not discount the fact that the desk asserts a no HK request was made. But by the OP's own words, I'm not so sure they take any of this into account and instead focus upon what they perceive as rudeness. No way to prove or disprove what was said or done here between any of the parties. And most definitely no basis to condemn the property.

There always exists a system of redress at a Marriott property. Somebody is always in charge, and if a manager who is qualified to speak for the hotel is not availible, it's a simple matter of leaving your name and having the next manager contact you -- they do keep a log for these sort of things 24/7. Reading through these things, it sounds to me as if the OP might have been a bit tone deaf as they focus more on what wasn't done instead of what could or could not be done at that specific moment ( along with concerns about valet and an assortment of other things ).

Call it a stay gone awry and opportunity missed. Time to move on with life.

Barry
I get your points, but I take FT feedback for what it is. If a couple of users have a bad experience, then that is worth something to me. I'm not sure I'd call it "condemnation", but it influences my decision. FT has a lot of Marriott vets posting their experiences.

Maybe that is how the OP is "moving on with life" . . . reporting it to the forum, and sharing the experience. That is something I appreciate (as long as the post isn't too ranty . . . which I did not find here, personally).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Sometimes things happen. It's how a hotel responds that's more important.... It really appears this hotel just dropped the ball, which other have confirmed is not an isolated incident.
First part agree. Second part, given there's more than one report of problems with the property or how they respond to things it's good info for FTers to have when trying to decide on a property.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
And most definitely no basis to condemn the property.
Barry
You are entitled to your opinion of course, even if many people posting here disagree with it. I don't see people "condemning" the property. Naming the property is what we do here at Flyertalk, so that others can either post similar or even positive occurrences at the property, and that those who may stay there will be aware of the incident. The apparent failure of the property to deal with the OP in a reasonable manner is what, I'm guessing, concerns most of us.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:53 am

BTW, another thing... when I've left the DND sign on the door by mistake, there is always a note slipped under the door letting me know why the room wasn't cleaned and to call the FD if new towels are needed. The OP doesn't mention anything about a note, which would indicate there wasn't a nefarious mystery sign placer, but that the HK just missed the room.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
BTW, another thing... when I've left the DND sign on the door by mistake, there is always a note slipped under the door letting me know why the room wasn't cleaned and to call the FD if new towels are needed. The OP doesn't mention anything about a note, which would indicate there wasn't a nefarious mystery sign placer, but that the HK just missed the room.
I am certain no DND sign was ever placed on our door at all. Plus, they kept changing the story (saying that the DND sign was out, then that we had called and asked for no housekeeping). It was crystal clear that they had our room confused with another, yet were consistent in one thing, insisting it was our fault.

I don't condemn this property; rather, see this as an opportunity for them to work on their customer service skills.

And yes, years ago, we left our DND sign out once, and had a message blinking on our phone late in the day to see if we needed anything (they won't ring the room, but will put a message on the phone). I think that or a note under the door is standard.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Heard back from property. Got an apology, and I had a chance to offer advice about their housekeeping (double check if you think someone doesn't want service). Also a small token of points (really not much, but I wasn't expecting anything).
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Often1
but writing a letter is way over the top for something as trivial as this.
As the hotel told OP that no one was available to discuss the issues, are you just recommending that OP simply accept not receiving what was paid for and being treated rudely? How are they supposed to get better if they don't know what's wrong?

If you paid at the first McD drive up window, then were told at the second window "sorry, we're out of food, go away", would you just drive away and say "oh, well, maybe they were overworked and couldn't make my food"?

Bizarre.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
As the hotel told OP that no one was available to discuss the issues, are you just recommending that OP simply accept not receiving what was paid for and being treated rudely? How are they supposed to get better if they don't know what's wrong? ...
Any of us could be the next guest at this hotel, or another hotel where someone else could have a similar situation. Unless someone like the OP points this out to the hotel in a way where the people with the authority to correct the situation actual have to make the effort to correct the situation, the hotel will continue slacking off.

While what happened cannot be undone, so it may appear better to just brush it off and move one, sometimes it's about helping out the next person who is going to be staying at the hotel.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Next time this happens (to anyone reading this thread), or if there is anything else you are not happy about with your stay, first, give the hotel a chance to make you happy. If they don't, ask for the manager (yes, I know happy mommy says she was told there was no manager available). If the manager is not available that night, you know there will be one available the next morning. Report your concern and tell them how you expect to be compensated. Don't wait for them to offer.

If they did not clean your room, ask for your rate to be reduced $25 (pick any dollar amount that makes you happy or ask for "X" amount of points. You take the initiative. Decide what you feel is fair and go from there.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Next time this happens (to anyone reading this thread), or if there is anything else you are not happy about with your stay, first, give the hotel a chance to make you happy. If they don't, ask for the manager (yes, I know happy mommy says she was told there was no manager available). If the manager is not available that night, you know there will be one available the next morning. Report your concern and tell them how you expect to be compensated. Don't wait for them to offer.

If they did not clean your room, ask for your rate to be reduced $25 (pick any dollar amount that makes you happy or ask for "X" amount of points. You take the initiative. Decide what you feel is fair and go from there.
Not every issue is worthy of compensation. In my world, most issues are not worthy of compensation. YMMV.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:02 pm

I usually decline housekeeping. Why would you want a stranger in your "home" while you are away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.