Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why is Marriott so stingy with late checkout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Marriott so stingy with late checkout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by besunman
Every time it seems like a negotiation/battle, they first say no, then look at your profile (Oh a Plat Premier, not that that should matter over gold or anything). Then they come back with 12:30 I ask 2PM and eventually we make it 1PM.
And I would understand if they are completely sold out (which they say they were) but I checked later and they were still selling rooms on the hotel tonight app, it was a Monday.
And in my 4 last years as PP I have never had an experience at any Marriott where they just granted me the time I asked initially. (And I only use this benefit maybe 5 to 8 times a year)
I know this is property-by-property, but my perception is that this is definitely more of a systemic issue with late checkout. Like the poster above. I want to relay a recent experience at a Residence Inn in Albany, NY.

The hotel was great. Very friendly and helpful with baggage, shuttle, etc. No reason to expect to have any issues. But, I needed a late checkout, and I found myself thinking, "Well, I need 1:30pm, so I better ask for 2pm." This thread got me to thinking about why I would approach the situation in that manner, all things considered. Late checkout is not that big of a deal most days, and this place wasn't full up.
It must have been based on prior experience with other Marriotts, of course . . . and it was.
How did it play out?
"I would like to request a late checkout. I am a Marriott Platinum if that makes a difference."
"When would you like?"
"2pm please"
"Okay let me check" . . . goes to the back room, and emerges, "We can do 1pm".
"Alright okay."

Reality or not . . . that is the general result I expect to have when I ask for late checkouts at Marriotts. I'm sure many Marriotts are more accommodating, but in my experience, they generally aren't for a Plat.

I'd prefer it not to be that way across the board, but I suppose since I travel mainly for business, it isn't as big a deal as it is for some. Well, there's my experiences with the matter for you.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
This is frustrating. I stayed at the SF Marriott Union square and, as plat, asked for late checkout because my wife had stomach poisoning. I was told 1pm was the best they could do - I asked for 4pm. I ended up paying for a half a night for the three additional hours.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I requested 2 PM late checkout at Long Beach (CA) Renaissance last Saturday. Got it. Housekeeping did call at 2:06, when I was just about to exit the room.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think it's staff dependent in some cases:

In Marriott Cologne - first time I called, 12:30 late check-out (come on really?), then I called again later and I got it to 1pm.

Courtyard HK, first I got a 2pm late check-out when I was checking-in, despite the fact that I have a late flight that date. Then I asked the second time (another FD), I was granted 4pm check-out. The night before check-out I went down to the FD to sort out the payment (used GC so just wanted to get things sorted out), asked again and was given 6pm check-out.

Last time I stayed at the new CY in Hong Kong and my flight was 23.15 so I'd like a late check out (can't check in at the airport until 8pm). So I asked for a late check-out, she (lounge attendant) game me 4pm, and I asked for 6pm, she said anything over 4pm will need manager approval. I said, 'well I think I deserve it this time since your ventilation system let cigarette smell spread to my room and because of that I moved 3 times during my 9 nights stay' - one of them was 11pm.

Well, she called and got it approved. So we checked out at 6pm.

I also tried to ask for more because half of the time the process is like haggling in a market. I said 3pm, and I got 2pm.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Funny how 1/2 of us have no problems while the other 1/2, including me, have the same exact remind-of-status and negotiate something small experience. I can see some push back with 6pm or even 4pm but 2pm should be a given, everytime.

Definitely an issue of what the Corporation promises, the local property bares the cost and most try and weasel out of it.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by joshua362
Funny how 1/2 of us have no problems while the other 1/2, including me, have the same exact remind-of-status and negotiate something small experience. I can see some push back with 6pm or even 4pm but 2pm should be a given, everytime.

Definitely an issue of what the Corporation promises, the local property bares the cost and most try and weasel out of it.
I do think it comes back to what a previous poster wrote . . . it's a matter of MR Plat policy . . . it's a weakly stated policy on late checkout with "if it's available" or similar.

SO . . . it comes down to the individual property, and quite frankly, the exact individual you speak with. If they feel like being accommodating, they are. If not . . . tough luck.

I just know that my expectations are set extremely low when it comes to late checkout. Can't really be firm about it in any case . . . you are requesting for the good gracies of the FD employee or manager on duty.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by valor155
I do think it comes back to what a previous poster wrote . . . it's a matter of MR Plat policy . . . it's a weakly stated policy on late checkout with "if it's available" or similar.

SO . . . it comes down to the individual property, and quite frankly, the exact individual you speak with. If they feel like being accommodating, they are. If not . . . tough luck.

I just know that my expectations are set extremely low when it comes to late checkout. Can't really be firm about it in any case . . . you are requesting for the good graces of the FD employee or manager on duty.
Absolutely agree it property specific and employee driven too. But I like to hope there is some rationale behind that that has to do with the next night's occupancy and housekeeping availability. But employees often do lie as not to want to deal with the extra work. I see this rampant lying below the FS level.

I traveled with my son for years as he played hockey on weekends up & down the east coast. I'd try to steer the group to Marriott's as most didn't care as long as the rate was reasonable. A 2 pm shower would make all the difference in the world for a long ride home. Very few times would they comply, some would actually hand out notices at check-in that no extended checkouts would be granted. One RI in the middle of nowhere swore they were sold out the Sunday after thanksgiving because of a large group coming in. Right!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are at a volleyball tournament at the Springhill Suites in Temecula this weekend. I do NOT want to drive home with that child without a shower after 4 volleyball games. I will report back on our late checkout success.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

I don't understand why it has to be such a battle every time. For almost all of my 1000+ Marriott nights, I checked out before 8:00am. Marriott benefits from that.

In the few instances (usually on vacation) where I could use some of those hours back, it typically goes like the following:

Me: I'd like to request a late checkout. I arrived at 11pm on my first night.
Hotel: I'm sorry sir, but we are completely sold out/fully committed.
Me: I'm a Marriott Platinum Premier. Doesn't that offer late check out?
Hotel: Oh, I see that. Let me check. I can do 1pm.
Me: My flight doesn't leave until 4pm. Is there any way you can do 2pm?
Hotel: The best we can do is 1:30pm.

For the number of nights I stay, SPG offers the ability to customize my 24-hour period. On my vacation travel, I typically arrive very late at night and want to depart 2-3 hours late. That's where Marriott doesn't typically meet my needs, although I do get an occasional exception.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Agree w/ many of the posts. You need to really work for a late check-out. SPG is much easier w/ the 4pm for Plats.

Many times I start w/ one hour than what I need, knowing the back-and-forth negotiation will have to take place.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JW6130
I don't understand why it has to be such a battle every time. For almost all of my 1000+ Marriott nights, I checked out before 8:00am. Marriott benefits from that.
And this is why there is an issue. The properties have gotten used to not having to keep staff onsite the entire day. This saves them money and they are not prepared to accommodate late check-out requests, especially if it's going to cost them more. Even properties that go piece meal with housekeeping want the rooms turned as early as possible to deal with the early arrivals. No matter how you cut it someone's gonna be disappointed.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:16 pm

Next time I have issues, or lack thereof, with requesting a late checkout at a Marriott, I'll post them up on this thread.

Might as well share the knowledge as to which Marriotts have local management staffs that are receptive and accommodating to late checkouts . . . and those that "play hardball", etc.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Springhill Suites in Temecula offered 1 pm, then gave us 1:30 pm today after we countered with 2pm.

I feel like I'm at a swap meet.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
In my opinion late check out is not even a tangible benefit for gold or plats since it is subject to availability and left up to the whims of the hotel the elite is staying at. I would be happy if MR made this a legitimate benefit by offering Plats 4:00pm late check out and Golds 2:00pm late check-out across brands without exception. But I think the chances of that happening are slim to nil. So I will continue to haggle like I am at a flea market whenever I need late checkout. Fun!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:16 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by valor155
Might as well share the knowledge as to which Marriotts have local management staffs that are receptive and accommodating to late checkouts . . . and those that "play hardball", etc.
It's not always a management thing, though alerting management can certainly help.

For example, while not a Marriott, I am currently at a Hilton that I also stayed at last weekend. Last weekend I called down and requested a 2PM late checkout and was given it without a second's hesitation.

This morning I called down and the conversation went like this:

Me: I'm calling to request a 2PM late checkout for today.
Night-Auditor [rudely]: Ok, I've got you down for 1PM.
Me: Is it possible to get 2PM?
Night-Auditor [rudely]: 2PM is only for Diamonds.
Me: I am a Diamond.
Night-Auditor [rudely]: 2PM it is then
Me: Thank you
Night-Auditor [rudely]: Uh-huh *click*

Management here, as per my conversation with them last week regarding some concerns with this property, is excellent and caring, so I have no doubt, as mentioned upthread, that this is simply an issue with one specific desk agent and not management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.