Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Note what isn't specified: changing existing instruments once issued. That's not to say they have to treat old cat 6 as new cat 6. But they probably can't do something like force cancel all certificates and deposit 45K back into accounts either.
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Thanks for posting. Do you see a travel package as a benefit or reward? Or do you see it as something more tangible? We receive points for staying, but when we have actually made a purchase with those points, I see them as something more tangible which is now a product, no longer a benefit. My reading of it, anyway. I do not see Marriott changing hotel categories or how they award points the same as changing the rules to an already purchased product.
I see a travel package as a "reward," as does Marriott as that is what they call points stays (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/poi...dType=Standard).
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
A company can write whatever they want in their T&C - it doesn't mean it will hold up in a court of law.
MasterGeek and CDO like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
A company can write whatever they want in their T&C - it doesn't mean it will hold up in a court of law.
Is there much if any precedent that it doesn’t? A very brief search finds that in many cases it does - https://m.hklaw.com/publications/rec...es-01-15-2015/
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've never heard of a case where it didn't. To my knowledge, the courts have all been pretty consistent in upholding T&C.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:32 pm

Remember: "federal preemption under the Airline Deregulation Act"

I think the issue here is a fairly narrow one about the extent to which Marriott is bound to honor actual, awarded vouchers (as opposed to potential awards that may be acquired via points). Airlines wouldn't be able to abrogate either a booked ticket or a voucher issued for some dollar amount for use in future travel.

Edit: I'd also point out that the T&C do not explicitly call out awarded instruments and that in the absence of such precise language--and remember that Marriott as the drafter of the contract has the burden to show these would be included.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
So is it confirmed? Cant book any more of these?
I just checked the Marriott site and the travel package link is down.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:32 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I just checked the Marriott site and the travel package link is down.
I see they are still up.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by RedSun
I see they are still up.
Odd...hmmm

Edit: seems to be browser-specific for me: chrome, travel packages live; Edge, travel packages dead.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Odd...hmmm
It's there.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jrey
But my wallet is empty now....
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
Thanks for posting. Do you see a travel package as a benefit or reward? Or do you see it as something more tangible? We receive points for staying, but when we have actually made a purchase with those points, I see them as something more tangible which is now a product, no longer a benefit. My reading of it, anyway. I do not see Marriott changing hotel categories or how they award points the same as changing the rules to an already purchased product.
I see a travel package as a Reward. The terms do, too. Whether a member characterizes a travel package as "something more tangible which is now a product," a certificate is no more than one of "his or her rights, responsibilities, and status in the Rewards Program," defined to be "Rewards", or individually, a "Reward." In sum, any Rewards Program right is defined as a Reward. And "any Reward may be withdrawn, and restrictions on any Reward or reward redemption ("Reward Redemption") may be imposed at any time." Though unnecessary, https://www.marriott.com/rewards/ter...trms.mi#travel specifically identifies "Travel Packages" and states "All Rewards Program Rules apply." Based on the above, any Reward (i.e., any right in the Rewards Program) may be withdrawn at any time. Of course, I am commenting on posts about the terms and conditions governing how Marriott can act, which to me is entirely separate from how Marriott will act.
RafKa likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by esdot
I see a travel package as a Reward. The terms do, too. Whether a member characterizes a travel package as "something more tangible which is now a product," a certificate is no more than one of "his or her rights, responsibilities, and status in the Rewards Program," defined to be "Rewards", or individually, a "Reward." In sum, any Rewards Program right is defined as a Reward. And "any Reward may be withdrawn, and restrictions on any Reward or reward redemption ("Reward Redemption") may be imposed at any time." Though unnecessary, https://www.marriott.com/rewards/ter...trms.mi#travel specifically identifies "Travel Packages" and states "All Rewards Program Rules apply." Based on the above, any Reward (i.e., any right in the Rewards Program) may be withdrawn at any time. Of course, I am commenting on posts about the terms and conditions governing how Marriott can act, which to me is entirely separate from how Marriott will act.
I agree, it was mostly just in reference to the idea that Marriott should or would keep the cert category numbers the same even though they would require more points otherwise.

My prediction - they stay as certs rounded down to the nearest category if the old/new points required don’t match up, and only that difference in points is refunded

Last edited by GoPhils; Aug 7, 2018 at 6:03 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never heard of a case where it didn't. To my knowledge, the courts have all been pretty consistent in upholding T&C.
You haven't heard of it because the company doesn't admit fault and settles so that it doesn't become a matter of public record.

How do I know this? Because I've taken one of the companies to court and that is what happened
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Am I able to attach the 7nt cert myself when booking online or do I have to call a rep to attach it?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:06 am

You haven't heard of it because the company doesn't admit fault and settles so that it doesn't become a matter of public record.

How do I know this? Because I've taken one of the companies to court and that is what happened
Congrats to you for getting that, but of course just because they settled doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have won in court.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.