Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by AtlLhr
I am still waiting to see where the current floater TP are going to map to. I would have 2 cat 7 and a cat 5. I would like to use these to book SPG properties in Paris, but I have no idea if they are going to map to cat 5 or 6. I hope that info comes out soon.
Enter "Paris" at https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by carlitos
I also have a travel package Cat 8. At the moment, waiting for availability to open for Maui in December. Of course, the Marriott Maui is closed to award bookings. Decided that if it does not open, then the Westin would be a good option after August 1st merger and SPG properties coming to Marriott, as Peak and Off-Peak system does not start until 2019. One thing is for sure, after looking at this, I do want to use the Travel Package and be done with Marriott for a good while. It was a good run, with 4 Travel Packages (including two 5 night ones they gave me without being an MVC owner) redeemed in the last 3 years.

Ohh, and I forgot, 4 years of WN Companion Pass
Are you referring to Marriott Maui Ocean Club? I could book Marriott Wailea Beach Resort on points and attach TP certificate to it ....
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jtp1947
The announcement says call to book an air/hotel package below. Makes it sound like it takes effect now. Marriott usually gives a grace period before enacting changes.
It definitely hasn't taken effect. I booked a package this afternoon after the announcement.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Here's a question that seems somewhat unclear: Will old packages be useable at Starwood properties now (or be converted to new package equivalents)?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Here's a question that seems somewhat unclear: Will old packages be useable at Starwood properties now (or be converted to new package equivalents)?
They will have to be converted after the programs merge to be used at SPG legacy brands.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This thread has gotten soooooo long. So there are a bunch of Cat 6 going down to Cat 5 on August 1. Will the Cat 1-5 certificates be able to be used for them after 8/1. I guess it’s anybody’s guess.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
This thread has gotten soooooo long. So there are a bunch of Cat 6 going down to Cat 5 on August 1. Will the Cat 1-5 certificates be able to be used for them after 8/1. I guess it’s anybody’s guess.
No guessing needed. Definitely will not be able to use old Cat 1-5 with the point-based chart. The old certs will have to be converted to the new point-based certs after the new program begins.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
They will have to be converted after the programs merge to be used at SPG legacy brands.
I wonder what they will convert into... I guess safest bet is order Tier 4-5 packages?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:32 pm

and the confirmation that travel packages will be devaluated....330 k for 100k airline miles and 7 nights for cat.1-4
https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marrio...ges_Chart2.pdf
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Are you referring to Marriott Maui Ocean Club? I could book Marriott Wailea Beach Resort on points and attach TP certificate to it ....
No, not the Ocean Club, I am referring to the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. But it is closed for arrivals or for starting a stay for the second half of December with Points. I need to get there after Christmas. So we will see what happens after August 1st with availability or if the Westin becomes a possibility. I only could get my return flight with AA Miles after new year on Super Saver Award (nice use of AAdvantage Miles) and my way to OGG for less than $200 on UA from South California after Christmas.

Only thing is that today that I called, the person who answer said he does not know how to upgrade a TP, and that the people who know leave at 11:00PM CT and get there at 9AM CT, so will have to call them tomorrow and wait for at least 40 minutes until I can speak to someone

Last edited by carlitos; Jun 28, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:09 am

New post from SPG Lurker on the conversion subject. No additional concrete info but some additional speculation. I think it's pretty clear at this point that nobody is getting refunded straight points.

How will existing Chase category-5 certificates be handled after the realignment of categories?

Most Chase certificates will convert to the equivalent "Up To" Points amount as they are today in Marriott Rewards. As an example, a Chase Category 1-5 certificate will convert to up to 25,000 points

Then, you can probably assume that the answer is similar to the one for travel certificates. "We are currently reviewing how to handle existing <snip> awards already in members' accounts and will have a definitive answer in the coming weeks. Members should make every effort to book and attach these certificates prior to our programs becoming one to to maximize their usage."
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29917515-post1810.html
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Is "maximise" the key word there? This implies to me that they would generally be worth less post-merger
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HH Diamond, Delta Silver, Finnair Plat
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape
Do you happen to have the reward codes for those two awards? I believe that the cat 5 one is 530T, and suspect that that cat 7 one is 610T.
The cat 8 one is 950T. Just called in to order using the number on the back of my Ritz card and was done in under 10 minutes.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by msp3
I wonder what they will convert into... I guess safest bet is order Tier 4-5 packages?
I am not sure what your strategy is? If you have a property in mind under the current chart then order that category. If you want to use it with the new chart there won't be any advantage to order the current certs and convert them later to the new chart. For the room component of the TP the only advantage in ordering now under the old chart is if the property you want is going up in points cost.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mitelsp
and the confirmation that travel packages will be devaluated....330 k for 100k airline miles and 7 nights for cat.1-4
https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marrio...ges_Chart2.pdf
Ouch! This is a significant change for the worse. MR points will now transfer at slightly worse than 2 point points per mile as part of a travel package. For example, a Cat 7 stay with 100k miles is now 570k points. The stay itself should cost 360k points (60k points per night X 6 nights, with one night free), leaving the 100k miles costing 210k points. That's over twice the current cost!

Time to redeem for a couple of Travel Packages before the new rate kicks in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.