FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

hhoope01 Jan 5, 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by kathysrewards (Post 25967435)
Also like the cat 6 Destin Fairfield inn because it is wide open on awards on holiday weekends and I live in Bama so we usually go down to the beach at least once for a 3-4 day weekend. I think I usually spend $200/night. Downside is no ocean front rooms here.

Check out the new FFI in Ft. Walton Beach. I think it also is Cat. 6 and it does have some oceanfront rooms.

bigshooter Jan 5, 2016 2:50 pm

Where did you use your 7 night travel package nights

Are these TPs purchased with points or did o miss a promotion?

kathysrewards Jan 5, 2016 2:55 pm

The Destin Fairfield I mentioned is the same property.
Glad you can recommend. Maybe if I book now and request an ocean front I will get lucky!!!

These were all TPs redeemed from points.

hhoope01 Jan 5, 2016 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by kathysrewards (Post 25967570)
Glad you can recommend. Maybe if I book now and request an ocean front I will get lucky!!!

I didn't actually stay there, though this past July I did walk through it to look around a bit and it looked nice enough. The issue is it is "perpendicular" to the beach, meaning the short side of the hotel is ocean front rather than the wide side. So they don't have as many true oceanfront rooms as they could have had.

Instead of staying there for our pre-Destin weekend, we opted to try the Pensacola Beach Hilton resort. Now there is a true dump of a hotel using the name "resort". I should have stayed with the FFI, but had a bunch of Hilton points I wanted to totally waste. :o

kathysrewards Jan 5, 2016 3:22 pm

Surprised by that with the Pensacola beach Hilton. I never stayed there but just assumed it was nice.

We did have the displeasure of staying at the four points in destin.
That was basically a motel 6 rebranded.

Typically I don't spend much time in the room when I am down that way unless I have a condo with a balcony. The I like to sip my coffee and read for a few hours everyday.

nachosdelux Jan 5, 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 25967539)
Are these TPs purchased with points or did o miss a promotion?

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

not a promotion, been available for years.

You have to call Marriott Rewards customer service to order.
1-800-321-7396

kathysrewards Jan 5, 2016 3:43 pm

I used my first one for US Air during a 50% bonus. It was the last day of the promo and I decided to pull the trigger. Points posted with wrong date and I missed the bonus!

2nd one used for Southwest companion pass

3,4 used for united.

Mr. Vker Jan 5, 2016 5:59 pm

Grand Flora: Rome
Phuket Thailand several times.
Bangkok Thailand several times
JW Costa Rica...Next month :D

hhoope01 Jan 5, 2016 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by kathysrewards (Post 25967746)
Surprised by that with the Pensacola beach Hilton. I never stayed there but just assumed it was nice.

We did have the displeasure of staying at the four points in destin.
That was basically a motel 6 rebranded.

Typically I don't spend much time in the room when I am down that way unless I have a condo with a balcony. The I like to sip my coffee and read for a few hours everyday.

I don't really disagree with you on the 4Pts, but it has been accessible for very low points (7K/night.) And with Marriott's takeover of Starwood, this 4Pts will very likely soon be a Marriott hotel and if it were a Cat. 5 (or lower), it might be a good use of points as they are very good about upgrading Plats to Oceanfront rooms even in July (with balconies.) Should that come to pass, I'd say that 4Pts could be a good candidate for a Cat. 5 TP award.

As for the Pensacola Hilton, if you really want a "resort" in the Destin area, the Hilton Sandestin is the only true chain "resort" in the area. And it is pretty nice.

dgreen12 Jan 5, 2016 10:18 pm

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle - Category 7

Lots of stuff to do. Great restaurants in the city. Easy side trip to Victoria BC.

leeky Jan 5, 2016 10:23 pm

London County Hall
Vienna Marriott
Paris & Rome (but can't recall which hotel as often in these cities)
and upcoming in June
Tuscany Renaissance & Lucerne Renaissance

fallschurch Jan 6, 2016 12:43 pm

JW Marriott Cannes

darthbimmer Jan 7, 2016 11:41 am

Travel Packages (TPs) are a great redemption value but consider these two cautions:

1. Watch out for Cat 1-5 TPs. They are kind of a value trap. Thanks to years of category creep there are few appealing Cat 1-5 properties. Maybe if you need to stay a week in a small city or in an office park on the outskirts of a major city you'd be fine. But most people are looking at TPs for aspirational trips. As such, if you're looking at the Cat 1-5 TP because that's all you can afford, considering building your points balance enough for, say, the Cat 7 TP award and look at what kind of opportunities that opens up.

2. Be really careful about booking a TP without a specific hotel and available dates. The rules let you do it, but that doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Hotel categories inflate every year or two, and you could be stranded with a TP you purchased that no longer matches the category of the property you were looking at. Or, even if the category does match, the property doesn't show award availability for the same room type across any 7 day period. (It's been speculated that some properties game the system to make booking award stays difficult.)

FrenchLaundry Jan 7, 2016 4:43 pm

With ~300K accumulated points and more personal experience with RC - if I ever book this benefit, it won't be at a resort. I think I would visit an urban destination.

nittany987 Jan 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Anyone know if you can book one of these awards without all the requisite points? Then earn (or transfer) the points before the stay? I would doubt this would be possible because the miles get transferred to the airline at the time of ordering, but this blog post indicates you might be able to...