FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

VickiSoCal Mar 10, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm guessing they just can't attach the certificate to reservation if it doesn't match the number of nights.

leeky Mar 10, 2016 7:38 pm

So why make a big deal of it - just book the 7 nights and check out after 5.

Frankly, unless your TP cert is going to expire shortly and I knew I only wanted to stay 5-nights I'd just redeem a 5 night points stay and pay for 4.

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 26315872)
I had the strangest conversation with Marriott Rewards this afternoon. I had redeemed a 7 night certificate/air travel award recently. I called to use the 7 night Category 1-5 certificate. I asked to make the reservation for 5 nights in San Antonio. The rep told me that was not possible and it had to be made for 7 nights. I told her that didn't make sense and I had done it before for 5 nights. She said I had to make it for 7, so I did. Guess I will have to check out early.

Has anyone had this experience before? It makes no sense. Who cares if I give up the last couple of nights. It's my reward.

pinniped Mar 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Was the rep thinking that you hoped to keep and use later the 2-night award?

When TP's are booked, they show up in the system as a 5 plus a 2, prompting the occasional Flyertalk thread asking if you can split them up. I don't know why they book that way, and no, they aren't supposed to be split up. But I don't know why, systematically, they can't just book the 5 if the guest is aware that they are using the whole TP.

Look at it this way: you don't have to beg for a late checkout and you have a place to stay if your flight gets canceled. And canceled again the next day. :D

mclymerne Mar 11, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm actually letting my son use this. This certificate was going to expire soon and we already have our vacations booked for the next year, including 2 cruises that we obviously won't be able to use them. So I was just trying to make sure someone used it. I did email customer service to find out the logic but haven't heard back from them yet. I don't want him to get stuck paying for the daily parking fee for the days he isn't even there. I'll post if I get a response that has some good reasoning but I can't imagine what it would be. I probably got someone at reservations who just can't use any of their own thinking.

pinniped Mar 13, 2016 12:23 pm

I've had lots of stays where I've parked in the hotel garage only on the 1st or last night of the stay and been charged correctly for it. The front desk should be able to handle that independent of what kind of stay it is. I would *hope* they wouldn't even pretend they can't...if that happens, definitely talk to the manager.

bagold Apr 2, 2016 8:44 am

Booking 2 rooms at the same time using 2 Travel Package 7 night cert?

My relative had previously issued 2x Travel Package awards and has 2x 7 night certificates sitting in her account.

She just tried to book 2 rooms at the same hotel using 2x 7 night certificates she got using 2x Travel Package awards. The agent said that she can only book 1 room at a time.

Does anyone else have any experience on this? I don't see why you can't use 2 different certificates at the same time for a family who needs 2 rooms.

hhoope01 Apr 2, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by bagold (Post 26425255)
Does anyone else have any experience on this? I don't see why you can't use 2 different certificates at the same time for a family who needs 2 rooms.

I have ordered 2 TP awards before and had no problems ordering 2 rooms (same nights/same hotel). Maybe the issue was they had to make it two separate reservations? Or maybe there was only one available award room left at the hotel?

It might be worth trying again with a different agent.

bagold Apr 3, 2016 5:02 am

Thanks for the information.... I will try again today.

RogerD408 Apr 3, 2016 6:33 am

Yes, as suggested try again. All too often CSRs don't look for ways to do what you want, but rather find excuses for why things don't work like they should. Doing two separate bookings will probably work fine. There's no need to reference the first booking, but do track them both to make sure there are no issues shortly after completing the second rez.

TommyC80 Apr 3, 2016 7:40 am

Just book two separate reservations on two separate phone calls if it's too much of hassle to do it in one session.

joeags Apr 5, 2016 9:03 pm

Not sure if anybody knows - can a travel package be applied to a reservation in a different person's name? I know you can make point reservations towards another person, and you're not theoretically supposed to be allowed to on free night certificates.

pinniped Apr 5, 2016 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 26443010)
Not sure if anybody knows - can a travel package be applied to a reservation in a different person's name? I know you can make point reservations towards another person, and you're not theoretically supposed to be allowed to on free night certificates.

The more-restrictive rules are for things like Megabonus certs, right? Although it sure seems like I've been able to put other people as Guest 2 on those too...maybe I'm imagining that.

In any case, I've never heard anything about more restrictive rules for TP's than regular awards. Just the limited ability to redeposit. I know I've redeemed 2 at a time (same dates, same hotel, adjacent rooms) and that's allowed, although I'm guessing I was still Guest 1 on both rooms.

lexdevil Apr 6, 2016 12:30 am

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 26443010)

Definitely yes. I gave a TP hotel stay to a friend as a wedding gift. It was no problem at all.

joeags Apr 6, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks to both for the responses.

As for the certificate, it was a few years ago and I tried to call in to reserve a room under my wife's name for a cert (can't remember if it was the Chase CC one or a Megabonus, and I remember other people talking about it in the past.). I just added her as a 2nd guest, and we didn't have any problems, but I couldn't put it in her name as primary at that point.

bosman Apr 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Apologies if this has been previously addressed (I did check the previous 7 pages of posts), but how does the Travel Package work with "special" rooms; you know, the ones that require additional points or additional $s per night?

Also, I'm not seeing the special rooms offered as a Rewards option for many of the hotels I am considering for my next family vacation. The suites etc show up under the "Standard Rates" tab, but not on the "Awards" tab, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get into the room I want with the Travel Package deal.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks