FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

AdamUK Oct 4, 2014 8:28 am

Thank you, and I assume the same. I started to process my transfer and no where in the process did the extra 2k miles show up or get mentioned.
From the AA site:

Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within seven business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by Marriott Rewards.

heyeaglefn Oct 4, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 23623528)
Don't think I got that. Is there a link?

This is the one for US Airways.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...iottbonus.html

MileageGoblin Oct 5, 2014 6:29 pm

Dang. Freaking 40k short of the 270k if I and wife buy max of 50k points/each. Considering AA is likely to devalue the way of UA or DL, I could really make use of 120k + 24k bonus miles.

Any suggestions to make up to 40k points in a few weeks? I guess I could go spend $2k at the Ritz on my MR card. Really hating how much I redeemed this year right now...

aaupgrade Oct 7, 2014 12:02 am

144000 just posted to my AA acct. Redeemed last Thursday.

rstidolph Oct 7, 2014 4:47 am

I have 300,000 Marriott Reward points. Are they more valuable as MR or as AA with the bonus ?

hhoope01 Oct 7, 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph (Post 23638255)
I have 300,000 Marriott Reward points. Are they more valuable as MR or as AA with the bonus ?

That is totally dependent on your specific situation. In general, Marriott points tend to be easier to earn than most airline miles and thus most people tend to "value" airline miles more than Marriott points. But it really depends on which you can earn more easily and how you might want to "spend" those miles or points.

I'd suggest you estimate your travel over the next year so that you can come up with a projected airline miles and hotel points earnings. You won't be exact, but you should be able to come up with a rough estimate (and don't forget to throw in any bonuses you might be able to earn on either programs.)

After you know how many of each you can earn, how do you want to use them? One business class ticket around the world and pay for hotels? A lot of shorter in country tickets and use points for hotels? Drive to local places and only use hotel points for stays? When you know what you can earn and how you would like to use those points/miles, then you can estimate if a TP award is best for you or not.

While I've ordered quite a few TP awards over the years (and am thinking about ordering a TP award for Southwest in January to get not only the airline points but Southwest's CP as well), not everyone needs or wants more airline miles. So, YMMV.

pinniped Oct 7, 2014 7:45 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph (Post 23638255)

For me, it comes down to whether I have a need for a 1-week Marriott non-resort stay in the coming months... I love Travel Packages, but my travels don't always call for that kind of hotel stay. (Yes, I know you can redeposit the hotel piece for some points back...)

I used to send most of my TP's to AA...it helped me attain 1MM lifetime Gold on AA. Alas, AA changed the rules, so now partner miles don't count.

It's unclear to me how they'll treat the US Airways mileage balance when they merge the two programs. In the TWA days, the RDMs that were sitting in my TW account on the day the two programs merged also counted towards AA Million Miler. If that held true with US, then this could theoretically be a back door to AA elite status for someone close to an AA MM tier.

texontour Oct 7, 2014 11:31 am

This promotion came 2 weeks too late for me. I just cashed in 540,000 points for 2 AA travel packages. Missed out on 48,000 bonus miles.

bajaj_ash Oct 7, 2014 11:58 am

Duplicate..

bajaj_ash Oct 7, 2014 11:59 am

Exact same timing for me as AAUpgrade... Transaction initiated on Thu and miles including bonus posted in my account today...[/QUOTE]

apple1122 Oct 7, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi,

Is it better to convert MR points to AA miles or US Airway miles for Biz/First ticket?

If I have 300,000 MR points, I can convert and get 1 week hotel + 100,000 AA/US Airway miles plus 20,000 bonus miles? Is that right?

thanks!

pinniped Oct 7, 2014 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by apple1122 (Post 23640147)
Hi,

Is it better to convert MR points to AA miles or US Airway miles for Biz/First ticket?

If I have 300,000 MR points, I can convert and get 1 week hotel + 100,000 AA/US Airway miles plus 20,000 bonus miles? Is that right?

thanks!

It's a couple of different questions. From what I gather, you've found a specific award you are interested in first, but don't have the hotel selected.

First, I'd query from both AA.com and USairways.com to see if the award you seek is available from both places and what the respective miles and cash components to awards are. This could vary based on any elite status you hold, as well as the varying capabilities of AA.com and USairways.com. (For example, I think AA.com shows more of the Oneworld alliance than USAirways.com, and you need some sort of native US elite status to have free access to phoned-in partner awards.)

That answer might dictate which direction you send your miles. (While you're at it, it probably can't hurt to query the award from other Oneworld Marriott partners...just in case there's a more optimal place to send the miles without the 20% bonus. Certain-length BA awards in a non- or low-YQ part of the world could fall into this category.)

As for the hotel, you can certain book the award without knowing where you will stay but you're taking a guess at the category. I used to book Cat 6 TP's without a clue where I wanted to use the hotel part. Now I think I'd do at least Cat 7...so 330k for 7nts+120k miles, plus the 20% bonus if you do US/AA.

Of course you don't have to use the hotel on the same trip as the flight award. (That gets asked here every now and then...)

rstidolph Oct 7, 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 23638803)
For me, it comes down to whether I have a need for a 1-week Marriott non-resort stay in the coming months... I love Travel Packages, but my travels don't always call for that kind of hotel stay. (Yes, I know you can redeposit the hotel piece for some points back...)

I used to send most of my TP's to AA...it helped me attain 1MM lifetime Gold on AA. Alas, AA changed the rules, so now partner miles don't count.

It's unclear to me how they'll treat the US Airways mileage balance when they merge the two programs. In the TWA days, the RDMs that were sitting in my TW account on the day the two programs merged also counted towards AA Million Miler. If that held true with US, then this could theoretically be a back door to AA elite status for someone close to an AA MM tier.

A very interesting point. I wonder if I move the MR points to my US Air account and the eventually merge with my AA account will it count toward my platinum status

heyeaglefn Oct 7, 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by rstidolph (Post 23641627)
A very interesting point. I wonder if I move the MR points to my US Air account and the eventually merge with my AA account will it count toward my platinum status

Are you talking about lifetime status? US tracks BIS miles separate, so I would think there is no way they would count any miles in a US account towards a lifetime status.

perdue Oct 8, 2014 9:01 am

Anyone know how TPs work with resorts only having upgrade rooms available? Like, if I have a cat 7 cert, but they only have suites remaining, what would be required to make that work?