Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtrout
I am a newly minted plat premier and I got a killer upgrade this weekend. Staying at the renaissance Eden Roc resort on Miami beach ingot a two story suite with hot tub on my balcony. They were really appreciative upon check in too. Love this new status
Results will vary by property, if you want to see what the life of a PP is like see this thread.

PP link
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by jtrout
I am a newly minted plat premier and I got a killer upgrade this weekend. Staying at the renaissance Eden Roc resort on Miami beach ingot a two story suite with hot tub on my balcony. They were really appreciative upon check in too. Love this new status
Good for you! I hope I get similar in Curacao next week.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by doclkk
The thing that upsets me about this post and even the post of "platinum premier level" is that there is almost no REAL information. It seems like a lot of rants about people NOT getting it. So here's some information that I extracted from my co-worker and working around a culture of people that care about culture.

Here's what she said:

Stay over 125 nights/year (easy)
Stay at the SAME hotel
SPEND points on a nice hotel.

She told me essentially, big dollar / big name hotels will nominate people for platinum premier. So if you're courtyarding it, you're probably not gonna get it. She also told me that nearly everyone at the hotel knew her by name.

BENEFITS
Exceptions to rules - if there are no rooms available, you won't have to pay the price on the door. You can pay the reasonable rate that you typically get

Coupons - Some good deals.

Rewards - Something to the effect of discounted rewards. If you normally couldn't get a point saver reward, you all of a sudden can. Something like that.

Phone Reservation Line - A line with people that speak impeccable English, they are paid more per hour and can provide special accommodations.

I had this conversation while walking to our cubes and it was the last thing she said and I didn't ask her to explain in detail. I will ask more but she's pretty busy and I don't think she particularly cares about platinum premier. She just said, "they should clear out the whole hotel for me - I'm Platinum Premier."

Just keep in mind that Platinum Premier is a membership group that is micro-managed.

So someone try this.

Stay at a big name hotel

Log 40 STAYS / a year with that hotel with 125 nights same hotel and become buddy buddy with the general manager.

Spend your points on ...... hotels. She told me that she likes to stay at JW Marriott's or nice Renaissance's. I somehow think this matters. They don't want their plat premier people to be courtyarding or residence inning and it makes sense. There is nothing premier about courtyards, or inns.

AGE - honestly, I think age matters. They want someone that reflects real constant loyalty. Someone that will not leave Marriott for the whims of an SPG promo or Conrad discount.

I've got a lot of consultant buddies and everyone logs 150 + nights year. But everyone is switching hotels - to different marriott's in between and some are courtyarding / res inning it because they like the free internet and breakfast.
Oh wow, I know I'm necro'ing this post from earlier in this recently bumped thread, but this has to be one of the funniest and most horribly misinformed posts I've ever read on PP.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:04 pm

Property: Renaissance Tel Aviv

Length of stay (repeat stays?): 3 days (first time)

Greeting: By name, Plat arrival gift card tendered

Room upgrade: No. However, I had reserved and paid (extra) for an Executive Floor room, which wasn't on the same floor as the Executive Lounge, but provided access anyway. Got what appeared to be a (small) regular room on that floor -- next to the elevators. Also received a fruit basket, but so did the rest of my party, none of whom are elite with Marriott. May be routine for Executive Floor.

Suite upgrade: No. They do have suites, though (per their literature).

Special requests filled: None made.

Other: In general, this is a very nice property in a great location fronting the beach. The staff was all you would want at a first-class hotel. The concierge was very helpful finding things for us (like forgotten electrical plug adapters). Rooms are small, comparatively. Breakfast in the restaurant is outstanding! However, I received no treatment beyond what a regular Platinum would get, and didn't even get a room upgrade.

Last edited by Counsellor; Jan 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm Reason: Correct spelling.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:39 pm

This is a great thread! I will consult it regularly to see what properties provide the best recognition/service to Platinum Premiers, and if there is one in the city I'm going to, will book with that property.

I'm trying to find out of PP means anything, and will try to give Marriott the benefit of the doubt; however, so far two stays as PP have given me nothing more than a garden-variety Platinum would have received.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by browell
I see NOTHING in the PP benefits that even comes close to the value of 50 nights that I just lost......Yes, I definitely am annoyed
So far I'm with you . . . and it's 51 nights in my case.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:16 pm

I'm one of the folks who was -- totally unexpectedly -- given PP status for the first time (and lost 51 roll-over nights in the process).

I'm not at all happy, and am considering requesting Marriott to tube the "upgrade" and return me to regular Platinum and also return the missing 51 nights.

Some have speculated being given PP status is, at least in part, by recommendation/request/nomination from a property you've been staying at regularly. There are two properties where I've stayed in excess of 25 nights a year for a number of years now. They're both outstanding properties with outstanding general managers, and I'd hate to insult them if either or both were behind this.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor? Paging socrates or anyone else in a position to know . . .
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by stldude
First of all, Congrats to new PP members.

Now the reality is, I am more frustrated with Marriott after becoming PP. Recognition is poor and trust me, no one cares at front desk when you check in.

Marriott should have a consistent policy when you are Plat Prem for upgrades and they should Upg PP to suite as well. Not cool when a hotel tells you that they don't give suites as upgrades. PP is hardest to achieve among all hotel programs and still has no real benefit.
I have to ask because I don't know...when you say it is "not cool when a hotel tells you they don't give suites as upgrades", did you not know that when you joined MR? They make it pretty clear in the T&Cs.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How are people calculating that they are losing many rollover nights by being "promoted" to PP? Platinums rollover everything in excess of 75, PP's everything in excess of 100. so it is impossible to "lose" more than 25 nights by being promoted.

If your rollover nights from last year didn't rollover, that is another matter entirely and all you need to do is PM Marriott Concierge and they will correct it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by Counsellor
I'm one of the folks who was -- totally unexpectedly -- given PP status for the first time (and lost 51 roll-over nights in the process).

I'm not at all happy, and am considering requesting Marriott to tube the "upgrade" and return me to regular Platinum and also return the missing 51 nights.

Some have speculated being given PP status is, at least in part, by recommendation/request/nomination from a property you've been staying at regularly. There are two properties where I've stayed in excess of 25 nights a year for a number of years now. They're both outstanding properties with outstanding general managers, and I'd hate to insult them if either or both were behind this.
I sent a very long and professional email requesting a decline of PP. It was not granted. They spent two paragraphs talking about rollover nights instead of addressing either my issue or my request.

Wonderful response to customers you consider Top 3% in Marriott.

Last edited by AustinFlyer76; Jan 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm Reason: my response outside of quote now.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, how are people calculating the massive losss of rollover nights by being promoted to PP? By all reports it is only 25 nights- and if the purpose of rollovers is to keep you at plat for another year- voila, you are now PP for a year and with soft landings, Plat for at least 2 years.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:40 pm

VickiSoCal, Let me try to explain:

I had 126 nights at the end of 2010, having put a whole bunch of nights on Marriott I would otherwise have put elsewhere, counting on the roll-over since my travel is changing drastically for 2011 and 2012.

*No one* ever gets PP on 126 nights. Yet, I did. And I got NO roll-over nights. So, I lost 51 nights I would have had if they had left me at straight Platinum.

AND so far my experience is that PP doesn't mean squat over regular Platinum.

NOW do you understand?

Also, you say:
voila, you are now PP for a year and with soft landings, Plat for at least 2 years.
I've asked and have gotten no response: How sure are you that PP gives you Platinum as a soft landing if you don't get 75 nights in 2011. Can you assure me, please?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PM Marriott Concierge, you should have rolled over 26 nights.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Counsellor
VickiSoCal, Let me try to explain:

I had 126 nights at the end of 2010, having put a whole bunch of nights on Marriott I would otherwise have put elsewhere, counting on the roll-over since my travel is changing drastically for 2011 and 2012.
NOW do you understand?
Actually you don't understand. There are two processes at work here.

1) MR did not include previous rollover nights when calculating what to rollover to this year. So if you had 126 nights in your account at the end of last year and you have zero rollover now, then you must have had 26 rollover nights from last year. 126-100

2) MR will return the 26 rollover nights IF you send a message to Marriott Concierge and ask for it. Getting the other 25 nights because they bumped you to PP might be a bit tougher. But I'm sure some bean counter got a hefty year-end bonus for finding a way to retire more nights.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
But I'm sure some bean counter got a hefty year-end bonus for finding a way to retire more nights.
I don't think that elevating folks to PP was a plot by Marriott to rob folks of rollover nights. Not sure if you're suggesting that by the above, though others have said it outright. If this were Marriott's motivation in choosing who to elevate to PP, they'd elevate everyone with at least 100 nights in 2010 (not including the 2009 rollover). Elevating someone with 100 nights to PP saves Marriott exactly the same number of rollover nights as elevating someone with 160 nights. The difference is just 25 nights, regardless. A drop in the proverbial bucket, and not much of a savings to Marriott.

I was elevated to PP this year after ending last year at 141 nights (21 rollover, 20 credit card, 100 BIB). I do not specialize in a particular Marriott brand. I do not always stay in the same hotel. I stay in Fairfields, Courtyards, Residence Inns, Springhill Suites, and a few full service Marriotts and Renaissances each year. I almost always stay on weekends, so I don't pay very high rates. My guess is that the PP decision is based on some sort of metric that includes nights and revenue, with revenue weighing more than nights. My stays last year were not all that different from past years, so I expect that I made the cut because revenue is down, and because rollover nights helped me over the hump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.