Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
One can hope. If you don't stay at full service hotels, you'll never notice a difference as a PP. And the difference at FS properties is very subtle.
Back when I was a Plat, the hotel manager at the Frankfurt Marriott was called to the front desk to welcome me to the hotel. Status is a much bigger benefit in Europe, as a previous poster stated.
Very valid points here - my frustrations are definitely also because i'm 100% exclusive to hotels in the US (often small towns) and i rarely do 25% at FS - more often lower price hotels that don't see people of my status. So some of my context is likely jealousy of the folks in Europe or NYC-LA that get to actually "feel" some value of the PP tier.

Good context - i agree.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
So i read this right, if i take my team out at a Marriott hotel restaurant and spend 1000 on dinner, i will get 20% off of that on my hotel bill?

I am not sure of all the PP benefits.
You'll be given a 20% off card for food & beverage and a free golf club rental card, assuming that 2011 remains the same as 2010.
It doesn't specify number of people eligible for the food/beverage discount.
Fine print on the food card: not valid at resorts and expires Dec 31, 2010. I used mine for a couple of meals after New Years at the Vegas JW (a resort property) and they honored the discount. Also, only valid at Marriott, JW and Ren in North America.

For that large a party, I'd coordinate in advance with the restaurant manager. Simply tell him that you'll have everyone eat there as long as they honor the discount for the full bill.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
Very valid points here - my frustrations are definitely also because i'm 100% exclusive to hotels in the US (often small towns) and i rarely do 25% at FS - more often lower price hotels that don't see people of my status. So some of my context is likely jealousy of the folks in Europe or NYC-LA that get to actually "feel" some value of the PP tier.

Good context - i agree.
I understand COMPLETELY. I had 178 paid nights in 2010.
All company reimbursed rooms (approx 150 nights) were in RI, FI, CY, SHS. And since I was long term, I wouldn't even see a room upgrade.
I think that all of the stays out of my pocket were at FS properties.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
I just got my regular-ol-Plat membership materials.

My stats:
2010 - 129 nights (excluding roll-over), around 130/nt
2009 - 168 nights, around 130/nt
2008 - ~50 nts, around 130
This is a common theme. It appears that, for the most part, the key to PP is making Plat three years in a row. If you're able to get enough nights for plat this year, you've got a good chance to get PP next year.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
CONGRATS! On both PP and retirement.
Not true. Rollover is based on 2010 status. Since he was a PP in 2010, he needed more than 100 nights in 2010 to have any roll over into 2011.
I made PP for the first time in 2010. I think PPs saw rollover for everything above 125. Everything above 75 rolled over for me because I was a plat in 2009.
In that case, Marriott is now getting us coming and going on PP. I just made PP this year, but my rollover appears to be based on 100 nights. I had 141 nights last year. 21 were from roll over. 20 were from the VISA card. 100 were actual room nights. My account currently shows 20 room nights.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
In that case, Marriott is now getting us coming and going on PP. I just made PP this year, but my rollover appears to be based on 100 nights. I had 141 nights last year. 21 were from roll over. 20 were from the VISA card. 100 were actual room nights. My account currently shows 20 room nights.
That checks with what I've posted.
2010 nights: 100 actual nights + 20 CC nights = 120
Rollover into 2011: 120 - 100 (threshold for PPs in 2010) = 20

The 21 rollover from last year would only have gotten credited to your status for 2011. If you needed to use rollover to maintain status, you would have zero rollover.

Example:
Let's say you had 70 nights in 2010 (actual, CC, etc) plus 35 rollover from 2009.
Your 2011 status would still be PP.
70 - 100 = -20 +35 = 0 or more, keep PP.
If you had 70 and 20 rollover, the math would be:
70 -100 = -30 + 20 = -10. Missed PP but qualified for Plat. (Although I think that Marriott has a soft landing anyway).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: Onepass Infinite Plat.MM, UA 1K,Marriott PP,Hertz gold,Hyatt Gold,AA NADA,CO P-CLUB LIFETIME,UA CLUB
Question Rollover Nights

I just got off the phone with the PP line as my correct number of nights hadn't posted. They said they are aware of the error and by Feb 1st the correct amount of nights will appear.

We'll see
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
This is a common theme. It appears that, for the most part, the key to PP is making Plat three years in a row. If you're able to get enough nights for plat this year, you've got a good chance to get PP next year.
Not the case for me

Originally Posted by emanon256
Any one get PP yet this year? I recall hearing in a thread somewhere that they actually look at the last 3 years of activity, though I couldn't find this when I looked.

I am at 639 nights for the past 3 years, with an average of $218 per night across the three.
I made Platinum the last thee years in a row, all on a pretty high average rate, and just got my regular old Plat material on Saturday. Just looked at my account and I rolled over 151 nights to 2011.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
That checks with what I've posted.
2010 nights: 100 actual nights + 20 CC nights = 120
Rollover into 2011: 120 - 100 (threshold for PPs in 2010) = 20

The 21 rollover from last year would only have gotten credited to your status for 2011. If you needed to use rollover to maintain status, you would have zero rollover.

Example:
Let's say you had 70 nights in 2010 (actual, CC, etc) plus 35 rollover from 2009.
Your 2011 status would still be PP.
70 - 100 = -20 +35 = 0 or more, keep PP.
If you had 70 and 20 rollover, the math would be:
70 -100 = -30 + 20 = -10. Missed PP but qualified for Plat. (Although I think that Marriott has a soft landing anyway).
I was referring to your statement that rollover was based on 2010 status. I was a mere Plat in 2010, so if you are correct, I should have rolled over 45 nights (based on 75 night threshold for Plats in 2010). It appears, therefore, that the rollover was based on 2011 status, or that someone made an error in calculating mine.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I made platinum the last 3 years in a row. I am at 639 BIB nights for the past 3 years, with an average of $218 per night across the three years.

Sadly, I got my regular old Plat material on Saturday. I just looked at my account and I rolled over 151 nights to 2011.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I was referring to your statement that rollover was based on 2010 status. I was a mere Plat in 2010, so if you are correct, I should have rolled over 45 nights (based on 75 night threshold for Plats in 2010). It appears, therefore, that the rollover was based on 2011 status, or that someone made an error in calculating mine.
That's definitely a mistake.
If I recall correctly, it took several days to work out all the bugs.

Originally Posted by emanon256
I made platinum the last 3 years in a row. I am at 639 BIB nights for the past 3 years, with an average of $218 per night across the three years.

Sadly, I got my regular old Plat material on Saturday. I just looked at my account and I rolled over 151 nights to 2011.
Call and ask why you didn't make it; possibly speak to a supervisor to look into it. You should have made PP with those numbers, especially since business and leisure travel has been down for the last couple of years.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:40 am

While I don't care particularly as I have LT Plat, I would add that the "100 night rollover for PP" clause is simply wrong, and MR needs to change it.

PP is not a published level. It has no published criteria. No one has any way to know if they will be "elevated" and accordingly punished by losing 25 rollover nights. Anyone following the rules that MR puts out there is absolutely just in being upset by this. (I'm pretty savvy about such things, and even I didn't realize this was the case until I checked yesterday trying to figure out what was going on with my rollovers.)

Having been PP for a year (and apparently just renewed), I chime in with those that say there isn't much meaningful difference. If I was worried about my requalification, there's no way I'd trade 25 rollover nights for PP. Unless they're going to come along with something that guarantees that if you lose PP you soft-land to Plat the following year, they should reset the rollover counter for PPs to 75.

If they want to apply a different set of rules here, they need to publish it. Though, it seems a bit absurd to target your highest value customers with an unpublished, punishing "surprise" like this. Baffling.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Hold ther Train

So I logged on this morning and was thrilled to see that I am PP. But wait, my rollover balance is severely diminished. I had 140 nights last year, but show only 14 rollover. On the line with Marriott now and they are saying, "well, you are PP, so that requires 100 nights, so your rollovers would only be the nights ion excess of 100." Whaaat? never have heard of PP being 100 night minimum. Also, even if that were true, 140 minus 100 is still 40. What gives. I am on to my call back now.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Having been PP for a year (and apparently just renewed), I chime in with those that say there isn't much meaningful difference. If I was worried about my requalification, there's no way I'd trade 25 rollover nights for PP. Unless they're going to come along with something that guarantees that if you lose PP you soft-land to Plat the following year, they should reset the rollover counter for PPs to 75.

If they want to apply a different set of rules here, they need to publish it. Though, it seems a bit absurd to target your highest value customers with an unpublished, punishing "surprise" like this. Baffling.
IMO - very well said!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by brobab
So I logged on this morning and was thrilled to see that I am PP. But wait, my rollover balance is severely diminished. I had 140 nights last year, but show only 14 rollover. On the line with Marriott now and they are saying, "well, you are PP, so that requires 100 nights, so your rollovers would only be the nights ion excess of 100." Whaaat? never have heard of PP being 100 night minimum. Also, even if that were true, 140 minus 100 is still 40. What gives. I am on to my call back now.
Give it a few days. They had problems last year also.
I've seen others post that Marriott's aware of the glitches and will have it ironed out soon.

If there's one thing that I can say about Marriott, it is that they are one of the most ethical companies that I've ever dealt with. If they make a mistake, they make sure to fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.