Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Points and Gettting Out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2002, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Using Points and Gettting Out

I have about 125,000 Marriott points that I'd like to cash out. My experiences in the past 6 months have been awful. I have gotten no satisfaction to my complaints. I'll probably switch to Hilton (does anyone know if they will honor my status with Marriott?). What's the best use of my points? I have no interest in free rooms. I fly various airlines (NW, AMWest, Am) so I thought about transferring the points for miles. Is any one airline a better deal? Thanks.

------------------
Harry Heck, CLA
Harrah's Entertainment
Corporate Law
Department
Old Jul 21, 2002, 1:52 am

See:

http://www.marriottrewards.com/awards/AirRewards.asp#51

You can get 50,000 miles on NW or AA for the 125,000 Marriott Rewards points. I don't see anything for Am West.

I suppose I'd be inclined to go with AA, since the miles transferred in count toward lifetime status on AA.
Old Jul 21, 2002, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Lifetime status? What's that? I just become a Gold Member until 2/04 via a special promotion.
Old Jul 21, 2002, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by harryheck:
Lifetime status? What's that? I just become a Gold Member until 2/04 via a special promotion. </font>
via what special promotion??
Old Jul 21, 2002, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

It was called the "Gold Challange." You had to call Customer Sevice and ask for it. If you get 5000 points (not miles) within 90 days, they give you Gold Status until 2-04. It took me awhile to get them to sign me up and then prove I got 5000 points since I only flew 3500 miles (first class- 1 mile = 1.5 points).

Old Jul 21, 2002, 4:25 pm

It's a good question. I'm in the same situation, although I don't have nearly as many points, so I'll probably add some more Marriott points before I do anything.

Ultimately, I think you should do whatever puts the points to work on an airline or in some other way that offers value to you. Even if you take a hit, like with the 3:1 points to mileage ratio offered by Marriott, you'll be using the points in some way that is more meaningful.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:47 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by harryheck:
Lifetime status? What's that? I just become a Gold Member until 2/04 via a special promotion. </font>
On AA:
1million miles=Gold for life
2million miles=Plat for life

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm getting there fast.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
There IS such a thing as Platinum, Gold, Silver lifetime status in the MR program. If you call MR customer service they will tell you all about it.

Thanks Harryheck for your note on the gold challenge.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
harryheck
The GLD challenge with AA is 5000 miles or qualifying points in 90 days. 10,000 miles or points will get you PLT.
Miles in this case is actual miles flown.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 7:05 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
harryheck:

What kind of bad experiences have you had with Marriott to make you jump ship? I am curious to hear about particular properties which have been disappointing.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I actually received 1 and a half points per mile when I flew First Class. I was told full fare Coach gave 1 and a quarter points per mile.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeAAttle:
harryheck
The GLD challenge with AA is 5000 miles or qualifying points in 90 days. 10,000 miles or points will get you PLT.
Miles in this case is actual miles flown.
</font>
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I've seen a general decline in the type of service and upkeep of their properties. I had two very bad experiences recently in St. Louis. One was at a Renaissance Hotel which was more like a HoJo's. The building was old and had not been refurbished in what appeared to be a long time. Marriott responded to the second of my two letters to corporate and gave me 5,000 points- hardly worth the poor service, bad housekeeping and other assorted problems I went through. I understand that one can have a bad experience at any place; however, the combination of a year of disappointments and the virtual disregard for my complaints has forced me to move on.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by foodguy:
harryheck:

What kind of bad experiences have you had with Marriott to make you jump ship? I am curious to hear about particular properties which have been disappointing.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.