Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:31 am

Hmmm, feels like a dealbreaker. Any idea of what the internet fee is at?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I just got back yesterday, and the printed instructions given to the room were 3 pieces of laundry and 3 pieces of pressing per stay. Also, I was not given the option of breakfast downstairs, but I probably would not have taken it. The lounge is fantastic.

Didn't get the comp 15 min massage either, but maybe I missed that one.

I like this hotel. They upgraded me to a corner room, a bit bigger than the normal rooms and more windows. Rooms seem to be bigger than the JW.

I would stay at either based on price.

Billy
I am planning to stay in this hotel in 2 weeks time for 10 days approx..
I am a MR Plat..Hope to be upgraded to a suit

I guess the above benefits are still there ?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you'll likely get a studio suite but it is not a "real suite" with a seperate bedroom

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I am planning to stay in this hotel in 2 weeks time for 10 days approx..
I am a MR Plat..Hope to be upgraded to a suit

I guess the above benefits are still there ?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
I will be in Thailand next month

^Planning to stay at the new Renaissance Bangkok, thanks for the reviews and pics.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, Thailand-review

Here is a write up that I did about a month ago. I really like this property and consider it to be at the same level as the JW. You can find the 67 photos and couple of junior suite videos at http://bit.ly/bkkrenr.

This is a super nice Marriott family hotel in Bangkok that has a very good location for shopping and entertainment. I have stayed at this property now three times this past five months. As a Marriott Platinum Member, I have always received an upgrade to a Club Studio Suite.

The location of the hotel is very central and I like it. It is on the opposite side of the InterContinental and Holiday Inn hotels. You can just take the skywalk and go to the Gaysorn, very luxurious shopping venue next to the InterContinental, or walk bit further and find yourself at the Central World shopping complex that is full of stores and restaurants. Bit further down are the Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, and MBK shopping paradises.

It is also very easy to get around Bangkok using the SkyTrain that has a station just front of the hotel. The taxis in Bangkok are very cheap so if you have more than one person traveling using them is probably about the same as SkyTrain. You just need to remember that traffic at times is horrible.

Check In

Marriott Gold and platinum members, and guests, that have booked the club lever accommodations, can check in at the club lounge on the 21st floor. If you are arriving very late or need to check out very early, you need to do the formalities at the front desk on the ground floor.

Club Studio Suite

So in each of my three stays I received this same style of “suite”. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a suite but rather larger corner room with a very spacious bathroom. There is a separate sitting area and a work desk. The bed is comfortable.

The bathroom is very large with open view of the room itself. You can use the curtains to block the view if you are showering or taking a bath. Not sure how they decide which Studio Suites get Thann bathroom amenities. On my last stay, I had something generic but the hotel provided me with Thann ones upon request.

Club Lounge

The Club Lounge is one of the better ones I have come across in the Marriott chain. The décor is more sophisticated than that of the JW’s in Bangkok but the variety of snacks and food is not. You can now decide whether to have the breakfast in the main restaurant buffet instead of the lounge.

Afternoon tea is from 3PM to 5PM. Fresh scones, finger sandwiches, and other snacks items available. The evening cocktails are from 4:30PM to 8:30PM. They have two sorts of red and white wines available. The selection of liquor is very good for a lounge. You can have some cocktails like margaritas. The evening snacks are from 6PM to 8PM. They have a salad station, some hot items, cheeses, and some sweet items available.

Fitness Center/Pool

If you want to take some sun by the pool, this is not the right hotel for you. The pool area is nice but it is covered as it is on one of the floors. They do have some chairs around the pool where one can relax and there is also a bar/restaurant.

Fitness center is on the same floor as the pool. It is a modern one with nice selection of equipment.

Conclusion

I wouldn’t hesitate to return this hotel as I have already done couple of times. The location is great and the service is usually top notch as well. I really like the décor and the vibe of the club lounge and the public spaces.

They often have rate promotions so the price is usually rather reasonable as well. If you have a Thai or resident friend, you may ask if they have any deals available for locals. Quite often they do and the rates are low.

The only drawback is the pool. If you are planning to spend some time in the sun, this location probably won’t work for you.

Last edited by holtju2; Feb 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:18 pm

Review

Excellent review and great blog! thanks for posting and I am looking forward to my stay. I am hoping that I can get a cheaper rate so I can use the LNF guarantee. If not, I will have a CAT4 certificate to use from the current 2012 Megabonus.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat
Marriott bumped me to Gold this week.

I am on discounted rate at this property - What are the chances of a Room Upgrade/Free Breakfast?

Should I check in at the Main Front Desk or head directly to the Club Check-in?

Does anyone know if the Guest Rooms have dual voltage (110-220V) outlets in the bathrooms?

Our flight arrives at 6am so I guess we will arrive at the hotel 7:30am (ish) Any previous experience with checking in that early?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Marriott bumped me to Gold this week.

I am on discounted rate at this property - What are the chances of a Room Upgrade/Free Breakfast?
As long as you are gold you should get a free breakfast no matter the rate. And at this property an upgrade is very likely if other forum posters experiences is any indication.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold,Accor Platinum,SPG Gold,LHW,Delta Gold
Marriott gold looking for a discount code

We are looking for a promo/discount code for 2 room in Bangkok in july for 6 night. Just received my gold elite can wait to see the benefits. Thanks, Dutchguypdx
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Will be there tonight - looking forward to the stay after all the positive reviews. I looked at my reservation online and saw that I have already been upgraded - nice way to start!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:24 am

Asian Marriott properties are quite diligent in confirming eligibility of promo codes. I could give you my company code for example but they would require to see a company business card at check in. Your best bet is to look for a LNF rate.

Also, is everyone getting their gold from a promo or is this just regular upgrade based on the previous year?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Asian Marriott properties are quite diligent in confirming eligibility of promo codes. I could give you my company code for example but they would require to see a company business card at check in. Your best bet is to look for a LNF rate.

Also, is everyone getting their gold from a promo or is this just regular upgrade based on the previous year?
Marriott has the taste of elite challenge where you can get gold or platinum if you complete a number of nights..12 for gold or 18 for platinum in 90 days.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by holtju2
Here is a write up that I did about a month ago. I really like this property and consider it to be at the same level as the JW. You can find the 67 photos and couple of junior suite videos at http://bit.ly/bkkrenr.
Thanks for the nice review - agree with all the points mentioned . The studio room looked though slightly more smallish than the one I've had last time (2116 i think), strange.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive Elite
Does anyone know what the treatment for Platinum members is? I have a stay starting March 7th of 3 nights. I just booked a regular King Room bed ... the room type really isn't important to me, more interested in food offering by the hotel as well as use of facilities free of charge. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by fkatzRTW
Does anyone know what the treatment for Platinum members is? I have a stay starting March 7th of 3 nights. I just booked a regular King Room bed ... the room type really isn't important to me, more interested in food offering by the hotel as well as use of facilities free of charge. Thanks.

I am here now (I am a Plat) and I highly recommend it.

I booked a standard room (deluxe), and was upgraded to a Club Studio Suite. It is a corner room with fantastic views and a beautiful bathroom (so the wife says)

As a Plat, you will get: free internet (wired and wireless), free Concierge lounge access (breakfast, tea, happy hour/cocktails, evening snacks), free gym/pool, free soft drinks/water (get them from lounge).

The breakfast is a full one, with made-to-order eggs. The evening "snacks" can really make a meal - you will not go hungry.

You also get free shoeshines and 1 piece of laundry/dry clean per day.

I usually take the points but they had spicy cashews (plus drinks) so I took the amenity.

Hope that helps - if you have any more questions I will try to answer them.

We stayed 1 night at JW BKK and I would rate them as equal - both very nice and would definitely stay at either again. Price would be the determining factor.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Feb 17, 2012 at 4:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.