FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:14 am
holtju2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, Thailand-review

Here is a write up that I did about a month ago. I really like this property and consider it to be at the same level as the JW. You can find the 67 photos and couple of junior suite videos at http://bit.ly/bkkrenr.

This is a super nice Marriott family hotel in Bangkok that has a very good location for shopping and entertainment. I have stayed at this property now three times this past five months. As a Marriott Platinum Member, I have always received an upgrade to a Club Studio Suite.

The location of the hotel is very central and I like it. It is on the opposite side of the InterContinental and Holiday Inn hotels. You can just take the skywalk and go to the Gaysorn, very luxurious shopping venue next to the InterContinental, or walk bit further and find yourself at the Central World shopping complex that is full of stores and restaurants. Bit further down are the Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, and MBK shopping paradises.

It is also very easy to get around Bangkok using the SkyTrain that has a station just front of the hotel. The taxis in Bangkok are very cheap so if you have more than one person traveling using them is probably about the same as SkyTrain. You just need to remember that traffic at times is horrible.

Check In

Marriott Gold and platinum members, and guests, that have booked the club lever accommodations, can check in at the club lounge on the 21st floor. If you are arriving very late or need to check out very early, you need to do the formalities at the front desk on the ground floor.

Club Studio Suite

So in each of my three stays I received this same style of “suite”. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a suite but rather larger corner room with a very spacious bathroom. There is a separate sitting area and a work desk. The bed is comfortable.

The bathroom is very large with open view of the room itself. You can use the curtains to block the view if you are showering or taking a bath. Not sure how they decide which Studio Suites get Thann bathroom amenities. On my last stay, I had something generic but the hotel provided me with Thann ones upon request.

Club Lounge

The Club Lounge is one of the better ones I have come across in the Marriott chain. The décor is more sophisticated than that of the JW’s in Bangkok but the variety of snacks and food is not. You can now decide whether to have the breakfast in the main restaurant buffet instead of the lounge.

Afternoon tea is from 3PM to 5PM. Fresh scones, finger sandwiches, and other snacks items available. The evening cocktails are from 4:30PM to 8:30PM. They have two sorts of red and white wines available. The selection of liquor is very good for a lounge. You can have some cocktails like margaritas. The evening snacks are from 6PM to 8PM. They have a salad station, some hot items, cheeses, and some sweet items available.

Fitness Center/Pool

If you want to take some sun by the pool, this is not the right hotel for you. The pool area is nice but it is covered as it is on one of the floors. They do have some chairs around the pool where one can relax and there is also a bar/restaurant.

Fitness center is on the same floor as the pool. It is a modern one with nice selection of equipment.

Conclusion

I wouldn’t hesitate to return this hotel as I have already done couple of times. The location is great and the service is usually top notch as well. I really like the décor and the vibe of the club lounge and the public spaces.

They often have rate promotions so the price is usually rather reasonable as well. If you have a Thai or resident friend, you may ask if they have any deals available for locals. Quite often they do and the rates are low.

The only drawback is the pool. If you are planning to spend some time in the sun, this location probably won’t work for you.

Last edited by holtju2; Feb 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm Reason: typo