Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by roastpuff
So I called yesterday, and was told that I got approved! The free night certificate posted to my Marriott account yesterday night as well, and now I'm just waiting for my card to arrive. Hoping to book some rooms at the JW Marriott with it soon, and then my trip will be (mostly) set! ^
First time, right?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
First time, right?
Yes, first timer. The last time I tried for a Chase card was in university where I wanted the Amazon cards to use to buy stuff on Amazon.com and not get charged for forex!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:58 pm

did you confirm the 50k or 30k?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
did you confirm the 50k or 30k?
I used the 50K link so it should be 50K... hopefully. Have not received my card yet. I didn't ask the phone agent.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:13 pm

Update: husband received his paper statement today and he earned 30,036 points so that's a successful churn for him as well! No annual fee charged, elite nights awarded but no free cat 4 certificate. Either way, I'm happy. Between the two of us we managed to eek out 160,000 points from the sign up bonuses.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by shakezula
Update: husband received his paper statement today and he earned 30,036 points so that's a successful churn for him as well! No annual fee charged, elite nights awarded but no free cat 4 certificate. Either way, I'm happy. Between the two of us we managed to eek out 160,000 points from the sign up bonuses.
interesting... did the elite nights stack with the 15 already given from your previous card?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
interesting... did the elite nights stack with the 15 already given from your previous card?
I have 20 elite nights this year, all listed under rollover nights, with 70 lifetime nights. He appears to have 15 nights, all listed under reward credit card nights, with 35 lifetime nights. I suspect this is due to my renewal benefits hitting my account just as I cancelled last year.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:58 pm

how often do Marriott CC do the 50k sign up? Also does anyone have success with Jeff's link I do not want to waste a churn for 30k
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: *void
how often do Marriott CC do the 50k sign up? Also does anyone have success with Jeff's link I do not want to waste a churn for 30k
It's been running continuously for at least 6 months...I have the exact same link as what Jeff posted. You can trust that it is for the 50K promo, and it's good till April 15th.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:00 pm

Thanks for your update shake. Gonna have to give this a try on my next churn-try...this time, I will wait 8 months before reapplying.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:13 pm

Marriott Deval... well our certs just went down in value.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:24 pm

The new 2014 devaluation is brutal (covered by MANY bloggers now)

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott...ory%20File.pdf

All my target Cat 4/5 hotels are all moving out of range of MegaBonus
That's New York, Toronto, Washington DC, Niagara Falls, Vancouver, Chicago, etc...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:24 am

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the reason my husband and I were successful with our churns was because we did the 50k and then 30k. People that have tried 50k twice have been declined for the card, AFAIK.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:29 am

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the reason my husband and I were successful with our churns was because we did the 50k and then 30k. People that have tried 50k twice have been declined for the card, AFAIK.
Shake, did you first apply with a 50K promo link, and then on the churn you used a 30K link? Or did you apply for the cards over the phone, for both you and hubby?

In my case, I applied for the 30K online back in Aug 2012, but when they sent me the 50K email a month after I applied (in Sept 2012) I called and asked them to upgrade my promo points to the 50K offering, and they complied. So, now I'm wondering...when I speak with Chase, do I negotiate on the basis that I signed up with the 50K promo, and now I want the 30K promo? Or does my original 30K promo signup, and morphing into the 50K offer, nullify me on both counts?

=====

BTW, I still get the 30K offers, and my wife gets the 50K offers, though we have both cancelled our cards. Her latest 50K March email is almost the same as the previous one (see Jeff's signup link, expires April 15, 2014), but has a little bit longer expiry date of Apr 30th. The email format does look a little different now compared to previous months mailings, but I believe it's still all the same offerings (50K, $0 FYF, No ForEx Fees, 1-nite Cat4 E-Cert, etc, etc).

Unfortunately, the signup links don't confirm that you are signing up for the 50K offer. Anyone interested in seeing the original emails, shoot me a PM and I can scrub the original email from Chase and forward it. Otherwise, take a leap of faith and trust that Jeff's link (identical to the one my wife got in the Feb email) is eligible for the 50K...or call Chase and mention code X2CW.

One of my NOFs reported that when he called Chase, they asked if he got the email offer, and he said no, so they didn't offer him the signup promos. But, since the 30K/50K email offers come from Marriott, I don't think Chase can tell if you really got the email offer or not, so you can tell Chase you did receive one in your inbox.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Shake, did you first apply with a 50K promo link, and then on the churn you used a 30K link? Or did you apply for the cards over the phone, for both you and hubby?

In my case, I applied for the 30K online back in Aug 2012, but when they sent me the 50K email a month after I applied (in Sept 2012) I called and asked them to upgrade my promo points to the 50K offering, and they complied. So, now I'm wondering...when I speak with Chase, do I negotiate on the basis that I signed up with the 50K promo, and now I want the 30K promo? Or does my original 30K promo signup, and morphing into the 50K offer, nullify me on both counts?
Looking back at my original posts in this thread from Sept 2012, it looks like I applied for the 30k originally and received 50k after I complained. My husband just did the straight 50k about a month after I did. So I guess that blows my theory out of the water?

I'm really not sure why we were able to churn. I've never spoken to an agent regarding any four of our applications - all online. I called once after my initial 30k hit to ask for the add't 20k and that's it. I only had a gap of about 6-8 weeks between cards (Aug 2013 - early Oct 2013) and he had a gap of Aug 2013 to Feb 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.