Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LNF on $0.20 difference?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Anyone wonder why Marriott slowly shuts down programs and benefits.

This would be exhibit A.

They set up programs for a reason, then people spend time trying to game the system.

Eventually Marriott gives up and stops the whole program.

The LNF was not designed as a game, so in a few years when Marriott drops the program and people wonder why - you can look back to this thread and have your answer.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by rthib

This would be exhibit A.

They set up programs for a reason, then people spend time trying to game the system.

The LNF was not designed as a game, so in a few years when Marriott drops the program and people wonder why - you can look back to this thread and have your answer.
Excellent point. ^
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rthib

This would be exhibit A.

First of all, this is very silly logic. You don't think when they set up the LNF guarantee they discussed all of the potential ways that it could be exploited? All promotions and guarantees are obviously analyzed by a committee with far greater knowledge of Marriott's finances and customers, and I'm sure performed a cost-benefit analysis that resulted in them approving the LNF guarantee. Other hotel chains offer price match guarantees that are easier to take advantage of, and are more publicized. Most people I talk to (not FTers), even those who travel frequently, are unaware of the LNF guarantee. Therefore, I'm sure the small percentage of travellers taking advantage of the LNF does not have a huge impact on Marriott's bottom line. The all-inclusive offer that was cancelled is a better example of a business decision made as a result of too many people taking advantage of a great deal.

Secondly, I would like to ask all of the naysayers at what point you would NOT consider it cheap/petty. Is it a couple dollars? Five bucks? In the grand scheme of things, the difference of $4.80 between that arbitrary $5 and the $0.20 I mentioned is obviously pretty miniscule, so how can you call one cheap/petty and the other fair? And the 25% savings that would result from this $0.20 difference is about $20, which over a 3 week stay (Mon-Fri) is $240 in savings. That is a significant enough savings that I don't feel embarrassed to submit such a claim.

There are obviously people on here who make significantly more money than I do, but everything is relative. Try to keep that in mind before you judge someone for trying to save some money.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
It may seem cheap and petty to some for someone to ask to save $240 because they found a difference of $.20 in nightly rates. But... as folks have pointed out, from the corporate side this is like hiring a bunch of mystery shoppers that only get paid when they find a standards compliance problem. And then corporate hits up the individual hotel owner/manager to pay for the non-compliance. The individual hotel owner/manager may be unhappy that they got caught for being out of compliance, but they can take it as a lesson in how to improve their systems. The customer is happy because they got a deal. Corporate is happy that a non-compliance issue was reported.

I think those who think it is cheap/petty feel that the reward is large for the size of the infraction. It may only be $.20, but sometimes it is good to catch those little issues before they turn into big ones. The question a good manager would ask is why the prices were posted with a $.20 difference. Typo, bad training, limitation of pricing engine, automated computer price posting problem, bad attitude, signals to aliens from outer space, etc. Only if you know you have a problem and what it is can you hope to fix it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
One of the FTer here who commented about being petty to file LNF for 0.02 difference is also the one who very much think if you don't tip a good amount, then you are petty. Oh well, we are all entitled to our opinion as long as it doesn't offend the other people.

A lot of FTers including myself are money/points sensitive - that's why we are here to exchanging or sharing information about some special promo/code to save $$$$$. I wouldn't have been able to travel the way I do without the help of other FTers for sharing their tips/information.

Back to Marriott LNF, I think Marriott is charging more for their rooms on Marriott.com than other chains. I can often find Hilton/IHG hotel cheaper than a Marriott. So this LNF is to get people who are price sensitive to stay at Marriott.com, I don't believe that Marriott is loosing money from doing that - each room they sell they get revenue - that's why you see a lot of Marriott properties using Priceline to fill up their empty rooms.

When I was staying at a couple of CYs in Europe, I saw big group of bus tourists staying there too - do you think they really pay Marriott's USD 120 per night?

I saw crews in a couple of Marriotts, do you think they pay USD 249 for a night? Please let me know if they do.

All these are called Price Discrimination.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by rcross23
First of all, this is very silly logic. You don't think when they set up the LNF guarantee they discussed all of the potential ways that it could be exploited? All promotions and guarantees are obviously analyzed by a committee with far greater knowledge of Marriott's finances and customers, and I'm sure performed a cost-benefit analysis that resulted in them approving the LNF guarantee. Other hotel chains offer price match guarantees that are easier to take advantage of, and are more publicized. Most people I talk to (not FTers), even those who travel frequently, are unaware of the LNF guarantee. Therefore, I'm sure the small percentage of travellers taking advantage of the LNF does not have a huge impact on Marriott's bottom line. The all-inclusive offer that was cancelled is a better example of a business decision made as a result of too many people taking advantage of a great deal.

Secondly, I would like to ask all of the naysayers at what point you would NOT consider it cheap/petty. Is it a couple dollars? Five bucks? In the grand scheme of things, the difference of $4.80 between that arbitrary $5 and the $0.20 I mentioned is obviously pretty miniscule, so how can you call one cheap/petty and the other fair? And the 25% savings that would result from this $0.20 difference is about $20, which over a 3 week stay (Mon-Fri) is $240 in savings. That is a significant enough savings that I don't feel embarrassed to submit such a claim.

There are obviously people on here who make significantly more money than I do, but everything is relative. Try to keep that in mind before you judge someone for trying to save some money.
Originally Posted by CreditMadeEZ
It may seem cheap and petty to some for someone to ask to save $240 because they found a difference of $.20 in nightly rates. But... as folks have pointed out, from the corporate side this is like hiring a bunch of mystery shoppers that only get paid when they find a standards compliance problem. And then corporate hits up the individual hotel owner/manager to pay for the non-compliance. The individual hotel owner/manager may be unhappy that they got caught for being out of compliance, but they can take it as a lesson in how to improve their systems. The customer is happy because they got a deal. Corporate is happy that a non-compliance issue was reported.

I think those who think it is cheap/petty feel that the reward is large for the size of the infraction. It may only be $.20, but sometimes it is good to catch those little issues before they turn into big ones. The question a good manager would ask is why the prices were posted with a $.20 difference. Typo, bad training, limitation of pricing engine, automated computer price posting problem, bad attitude, signals to aliens from outer space, etc. Only if you know you have a problem and what it is can you hope to fix it.
Well-said both of you.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
Back to Marriott LNF, I think Marriott is charging more for their rooms on Marriott.com than other chains. I can often find Hilton/IHG hotel cheaper than a Marriott. So this LNF is to get people who are price sensitive to stay at Marriott.com, I don't believe that Marriott is loosing money from doing that - each room they sell they get revenue - that's why you see a lot of Marriott properties using Priceline to fill up their empty rooms.
I've got some perspective on this because I mostly stay in the same area all the time, and thus repeat many of the same hotels a lot, and yet am on a budget and on my own dime, and can't afford most Marriott hotels at their Marriott.com rate most of the time, and yet only stay at hotels which are giving good promos when they're giving good promos (I belong to enough program to be able to just "follow the promos"). So only with LNF can Marriott (and their hotels) have me as a frequent guest.

Some seem to like it more than others.

One of them lets me get rooms at more than half off the marriott.com rate every time I try, even if that's weekly or twice a week. They occasionally adjust the third-party rate that I use, but they never seem to completely take it away.

On the other hand, several other hotels in the area, the moment I use one of the third-party rates I find, (as soon as) the next day it's gone. It sounds like the Marriott LNF folks may be notifying the hotel what website and what rate was used for an LNF, and some hotels respond to that by going "oh, gosh, we didn't want that third-party rate out there!" and take it down quickly, while others go "that's fine, only a tiny fraction of our guests use this, and some of them are very faithful to us as a result, and so we don't mind as long as it doesn't run out of control".

In fact, could some of these be "mistake" rates that I'm finding for them? One was for a hotel which had rates $100ish, but one third-party site was showing a "1 King" rate for $75ish, and then a "King Room" rate for the same $100ish that marriott.com showed. (The hotel has only one type of 1-king-bed room, btw.) I did an LNF on the $75ish, and got a response a few hours later that it had been accepted. But the next morning, all those "1 King" rates for that hotel were gone from the third-party site, and only the normal-rate "King Room" rates remained. So were these intentional low rates that the hotel decided to pull after getting an LNF on them, or mistake rates, or was it just coincidence (and they had expired that morning)?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
The LNF gets us working for them and Make people ignore 3rd party sites

We provide a service by providing them with the information on the 3rd party rates -- so they can eliminate the "problem" and it costs them a discount for 1 person.

If you have ever seen Miracle on 34th Street, the same thing works. Macy's will know and refer a customer to other stores when they don't have something. That way, you go to Macy's first. In this case, you go to marriott.com first and stop there. (except the FT crowd who will look for a lower rate to win the discount.) Just like the stores that offer the 110% price match or Building 19 which price matches and gives the customer a bottle of "Champaign el Cheapo."
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by spamkiller
We provide a service by providing them with the information on the 3rd party rates -- so they can eliminate the "problem" and it costs them a discount for 1 person.
Fortunately Marriott doesn't always kill of the site like IHG does
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by Often1
No two ways, it's cheap & tacky. Bet you anything that stuff gets noted and they scr*w you when there's discretionary compensation for something.
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Well, the fact that Marriott (and other corporations) cater to the lowest common denominator ($$$) doesn't make it any less tacky for me.
It does to me, but that's just me. I'll admit I really don't get the "gotcha" sub-culture that seems to exist in the MR program with LNF and the ubiquitous "Platinum arrival gift guarantee". I know I'm a little older than many posters on this forum, but am not sure that completely explains the difference in attitude. None of you owe me anything, but can someone explain the attraction in demanding $100 because an overworked FD person didn't get around to offering you a little chardonnay and some mixed nuts (though they are damn good mixed nuts)? I don't thing I could bring myself to ask for something like that.
I could not agree with these posts more. I certainly have issues with Marriott but I hate to play the "gotcha" role. I just don't get the obsession with doing so.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan
I could not agree with these posts more. I certainly have issues with Marriott but I hate to play the "gotcha" role. I just don't get the obsession with doing so.
That's my point. Marriott has cheesy promotions like every other corporation. It's the "gotcha" aspect I find distasteful. And I ain't buying the altruistic "I'm helping Marriott identify trouble spots" remarks....

It just sounds like many people walk up to the FD locked and loaded to find something wrong and get something for it. All MR members can't be lawyers...can they?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
quite a few and alot more what-a-bees.......

All MR members can't be lawyers...can they?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:27 am

That's my point. Marriott has cheesy promotions like every other corporation. It's the "gotcha" aspect I find distasteful. And I ain't buying the altruistic "I'm helping Marriott identify trouble spots" remarks....

It just sounds like many people walk up to the FD locked and loaded to find something wrong and get something for it. All MR members can't be lawyers...can they?
What I find distastful is someone assuming everyone plays the 'gotcha' game & are locked & loaded .

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:31 am

LNF on $0.20 difference?

"many" does not mean "everyone"...
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:38 am

"many" does not mean "everyone"...
Sorry, but many still means a lot. And I beg to differ that many go 'locked & loaded' to the FD & play the 'gotcha' game. Are there some that do? Sure. Are they the majority? Doubtful.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.