FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   LNF on $0.20 difference? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1364812-lnf-0-20-difference.html)

rcross23 Jul 9, 2012 4:06 pm

LNF on $0.20 difference?

I hope this doesn't sound too petty/cheap, but for a hotel stay I'm looking at, the Marriott rate is $79.20, and I found a publicly available rate for $79.00. Technically this rate is lower, and after the 25% discount, should save me about $20. Anyone ever tried to submit an LNF when the rate difference is so small?

Teamstone Jul 9, 2012 4:46 pm

Let us know how it goes.

I once got a bill (not from Marriott) for about $.20. Of course it cost more to send it than they would have received if I sent it in.

Originally Posted by rcross23 (Post 18898689)
I hope this doesn't sound too petty/cheap, but for a hotel stay I'm looking at, the Marriott rate is $79.20, and I found a publicly available rate for $79.00. Technically this rate is lower, and after the 25% discount, should save me about $20. Anyone ever tried to submit an LNF when the rate difference is so small?

Twickenham Jul 9, 2012 5:34 pm

I've seen successful claims posted in the LNF thread with a $0.01 difference.

It's not petty at all. You are following the rules that Marriott set.

BKKLEE Jul 9, 2012 7:02 pm

should, unless the difference is due to foreign conversion factors.............

dd992emo Jul 9, 2012 10:23 pm

I hope this doesn't sound too petty/cheap,

It does to me, but that's just me. I'll admit I really don't get the "gotcha" sub-culture that seems to exist in the MR program with LNF and the ubiquitous "Platinum arrival gift guarantee". I know I'm a little older than many posters on this forum, but am not sure that completely explains the difference in attitude. None of you owe me anything, but can someone explain the attraction in demanding $100 because an overworked FD person didn't get around to offering you a little chardonnay and some mixed nuts (though they are damn good mixed nuts)? I don't thing I could bring myself to ask for something like that.

GlennTheBaker Jul 10, 2012 1:28 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 18900523)
It does to me, but that's just me. I'll admit I really don't get the "gotcha" sub-culture that seems to exist in the MR program with LNF and the ubiquitous "Platinum arrival gift guarantee". I know I'm a little older than many posters on this forum, but am not sure that completely explains the difference in attitude. None of you owe me anything, but can someone explain the attraction in demanding $100 because an overworked FD person didn't get around to offering you a little chardonnay and some mixed nuts (though they are damn good mixed nuts)? I don't thing I could bring myself to ask for something like that.

Marriott say you get $100 if they don't offer an arrival gift to Plats. If I didn't get a gift, I asked for $100. They set the rules, I played by them.

Marriott say if you find a cheaper rate than they offer, they'll beat it by 25%. Again, their rules which I'm happy to play by. The wording is as follows:

• Book a Marriott room using any Marriott reservation channel (Marriott.com, Marriott Hotel Telephone Reservations, or directly at a hotel).
  • If within 24 hours of making your reservation, you find a lower hotel price for the same hotel, room type and reservation dates, and submit a qualified claim form, we'll match the rate + give you an extra 25% discount on the room.

It’s that simple. It’s the right thing to do. It’s another way to book right by booking with Marriott.

They're not exactly discouraging use of the Look No Further guarantee, are they?

SkiAdcock Jul 10, 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 18899557)
should, unless the difference is due to foreign conversion factors.............

Agree.

I doubt the majority of us are "gotcha" people. Marriott has a program in place; the $100 is for the guest if it's not followed, which is also part of the program.

Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker (Post 18901088)
Marriott say you get $100 if they don't offer an arrival gift to Plats. If I didn't get a gift, I asked for $100. They set the rules, I played by them.

Marriott say if you find a cheaper rate than they offer, they'll beat it by 25%. Again, their rules which I'm happy to play by. The wording is as follows:
  • Book a Marriott room using any Marriott reservation channel (Marriott.com, Marriott Hotel Telephone Reservations, or directly at a hotel).
  • If within 24 hours of making your reservation, you find a lower hotel price for the same hotel, room type and reservation dates, and submit a qualified claim form, we'll match the rate + give you an extra 25% discount on the room.

It’s that simple. It’s the right thing to do. It’s another way to book right by booking with Marriott.

They're not exactly discouraging use of the Look No Further guarantee, are they?

What Glenn said in both points.

To the OP - unless the .20cents is due to currency conversion (in which case I wouldn't bother), I'd certainly go for the LNF if it will save you $20, which you can then spend at another Marriott sometime :)

Cheers.

Twickenham Jul 10, 2012 8:43 am

And let me explain the other point of view:

My mother was a mystery shopper for several years. Large companies, such as Marriott, set standard procedures and policies that their employees and properties are expected to follow. The whole point of having a chain is that you can expect a uniform standard. They have implemented checks and balances in order to ensure that those standards are adhered to. So, claiming your $100 compensation isn't petty or cheap, it's following the policy put in place by Marriott to ensure that we get the best service possible.

dd992emo Jul 10, 2012 10:33 am

Well, the fact that Marriott (and other corporations) cater to the lowest common denominator ($$$) doesn't make it any less tacky for me.

SkiAdcock Jul 10, 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 18903401)
Well, the fact that Marriott (and other corporations) cater to the lowest common denominator ($$$) doesn't make it any less tacky for me.

You're saying that Marriott (and other chains) having a LNF program in place is tacky? I'd say they consider it a sound bizness program that allows them to keep revenue they might lose otherwise.

Cheers.

aolj Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

I've done it with a penny difference and got it approved. Like others have said, they set the rules and I play by it.

Often1 Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

No two ways, it's cheap & tacky. Bet you anything that stuff gets noted and they scr*w you when there's discretionary compensation for something.

VA1379 Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm

How is it cheap and tacky? Just because you think so? Please. The idea that they will reduce any other deserved compensation is a bunch of horse poop. If they really screw something up, they will owe compensation. They can dig themselves a bigger grave, but it would not rank as a smart decision.

GlennTheBaker Jul 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18905379)
No two ways, it's cheap & tacky. Bet you anything that stuff gets noted and they scr*w you when there's discretionary compensation for something.

So, if I book a room direct with Marriott and then find it cheaper elsewhere, I should say "Sod it, I'll overpay rather than take Marriott up on their generous best rate guarantee" should I?

dd992emo Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 18903922)
You're saying that Marriott (and other chains) having a LNF program in place is tacky? I'd say they consider it a sound bizness program that allows them to keep revenue they might lose otherwise.

Cheers.

I really know little about LNF other than what I've read on FT. The PAG guarantee and the sometimes rabid posts about enforcing it...yes, I sometimes find that behavior in poor taste. But, as I said before, that's just me and I'm not the Arbiter of All Things (yet :D).