Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there really a point in being Marriott Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really a point in being Marriott Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
SPG - 992 hotels

Marriott - 3700 hotels

Easy choice for me as Marriott has a hotel in all the cities I travel to. SPG not so much.

I use Hyatt as my secondary choice of hotel.
And Hyatt has how many hotels???

I don't understand why you make a point about SPG having way fewer hotels total than Marriott, if you then turn around and say Hyatt (which has even way fewer hotels total than SPG) is your second choice instead of SPG!

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
While written benefits may not differ significantly on paper, I've found that the treatment I've received while Platinum far supersedes that when I was Gold
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
IMO, that depends on the individual property (ie. as a plat, I've never received any upgrade at the JW Phuket, but as a former gold, I, along with others reporting on their stays, were upgraded to a private pool villa at neighboring Reniassance Phuket)

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
While written benefits may not differ significantly on paper, I've found that the treatment I've received while Platinum far supersedes that when I was Gold
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Absolutely!!
- Guaranteed room when hotel sold out - used this benefit several time and it is very convenient when booking at the last minute.
- Lounge access and free breakfast - very convinient in US properties but especially in properties overseas as their breakfast is much better. Also, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the evening (some times even a full dinner buffet).
- 50% points bonus
- amenity gift

These are some of the benefits I really enjoy.
Really? I just tried to book Sydney Marriott Circular Quay for New Years Eve this year. No luck. And yes, I'm a Marriott plat.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I think you'll find that NYE is considered a special event and the 48-hr guarantee for plats won't be applicable................ that being said, have you tried seeing if bookings for more then 1-night is available as at certain times rooms are available over holidays if the res is more then 2+ days...............

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Really? I just tried to book Sydney Marriott Circular Quay for New Years Eve this year. No luck. And yes, I'm a Marriott plat.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It looks like there is a 3 night minimum. Use the "My dates are flexible search" and you should be able to find a 3 night stay or longer for over NYE. Rates are $549/nt.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I think you'll find that NYE is considered a special event and the 48-hr guarantee for plats won't be applicable................ that being said, have you tried seeing if bookings for more then 1-night is available as at certain times rooms are available over holidays if the res is more then 2+ days...............
When NYE, which occurs everywhere in the world, is a 'special event', there's a problem with the plat guarantee.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It looks like there is a 3 night minimum. Use the "My dates are flexible search" and you should be able to find a 3 night stay or longer for over NYE. Rates are $549/nt.
I was looking for a 5 night stay but the 'my dates are flexible' worked. Thanks for the tip. ^
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I was looking for a 5 night stay but the 'my dates are flexible' worked. Thanks for the tip. ^
You're welcome. Enjoy! I was there for NYE 2010/11 and it was awesome.

NYE private venues (restaurants, dinner cruises, etc) run $500 and up per person. We did Cafe Sydney which was awesome and I highly recommend it. Bookings should have opened on July 1. Request outside if it's still available. Capt cook cruises, Opera Bar, Sebel Hotel (but it is right under the bridge so not the best location IMO since the bridge is what you want to see and looking straight up isn't this best view) are a couple other options. There are many more to choose from, do some research.

NYE public venues start filling up midday. If you choose this option bring plenty of sunscreen, umbrella and drink lots of water because it will be a long day.

Exec lounge closes at 9 PM on NYE but they do have an awesome spread that evening.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
IMO, that depends on the individual property (ie. as a plat, I've never received any upgrade at the JW Phuket, but as a former gold, I, along with others reporting on their stays, were upgraded to a private pool villa at neighboring Reniassance Phuket)
Depends not only on specific properties - but what one's definition of "special treatment" happens to be. I have found the biggest bennies to being Plat happen when I have an issue - due to a funeral, job issue or whatever. It isn't usually a "thing", but a service provided.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by apodo77
SPG - 992 hotels

Marriott - 3700 hotels

Easy choice for me as Marriott has a hotel in all the cities I travel to. SPG not so much.

I use Hyatt as my secondary choice of hotel.
Actually Starwood has 1105 hotels with 45 more new hotels coming this year. Having more hotels means very little--where they are located and the quality/value of the properties matters much more. If I need to go to small town Ohio, I would have a lot of choice with Marriott. If I go to the Greek Islands, I would have no choice to stay with Marriott. Since I have no reason to ever stay at any of the 108 Marriott properties in Ohio, this plethora of properties is of no attraction to me. Now if I aspire to go to Crete, Santorini, Rhodes, or Mykonos Starwood is a clear choice.

Depending on travel patterns, different programs/hotel chains work for different people. Number of hotels is not the only reason to choose a program--especially if most of them are in places one never has a need/desire to go.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And Hyatt has how many hotels???

I don't understand why you make a point about SPG having way fewer hotels total than Marriott, if you then turn around and say Hyatt (which has even way fewer hotels total than SPG) is your second choice instead of SPG!
Second choice was probably a bad choice of words. My company is based in Madison, WI and they shack us up at the Hyatt Place when we come in for meetings. About 12-14 nights per year and I qualify for Platinum.

I am just about 100% Marriotts elsewhere except the occasional Grand Hyatt in Seattle if they have a good rate (4-6 nights per year). I have their CC and use it at their hotels to earn some free nights per year with the stays.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 13, 2012 at 2:03 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Depending on travel patterns, different programs/hotel chains work for different people. Number of hotels is not the only reason to choose a program--especially if most of them are in places one never has a need/desire to go.
A valid point.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
I work to keep it primarily for the bonus points, and the occasional upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
.Depending on travel patterns, different programs/hotel chains work for different people. Number of hotels is not the only reason to choose a program--especially if most of them are in places one never has a need/desire to go.
A case in point is Club Carlson. I have a bunch of Club Carlson points and was going to use some for a couple of nights in downtown Chicago for my daughter. Club Carlson has 20 hotels listed but only one in downtown Chicago. And that one, Radisson Blu, is not taking points for the weekend I was looking at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.