Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there really a point in being Marriott Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really a point in being Marriott Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:40 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
My biggest complaint for everyday stays is the lack of benefits at Courtyard properties.
I agree that breakfast would be a nice elite benefit at CYs (note that SPG now offers free breakfast to their Plats at ALL Starwood hotels, 7 days a week.)

But I have to admit, so far this year I have a perfect record for suite upgrades at CYs. The key is to ask at check-in as I don't remember ever being "automatically" upgraded (which seem fair given suite upgrades aren't a guaranteed elite benefit.)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Absolutely!!
- Guaranteed room when hotel sold out - used this benefit several time and it is very convenient when booking at the last minute.
- Lounge access and free breakfast - very convinient in US properties but especially in properties overseas as their breakfast is much better. Also, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the evening (some times even a full dinner buffet).
- 50% points bonus
- amenity gift

These are some of the benefits I really enjoy.
But gold gets you the lounge / breakfast. The up to Plat gets you the extra mileage bonus and reservation guarantee, so the question is really whether that extra over gold is worth the benefit.

Someone said it right - preference and stay patterns determine. marriott works well for me.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmculp
But gold gets you the lounge / breakfast. The up to Plat gets you the extra mileage bonus and reservation guarantee, so the question is really whether that extra over gold is worth the benefit.

Someone said it right - preference and stay patterns determine. marriott works well for me.
Agreed. For my travels and last minute reservations, having the Platinum Override is essential when I need to stay near a convention center or at a trade show host hotel. Also the 50% points bonus is pretty worth is as well.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Absolutely!!
- Guaranteed room when hotel sold out - used this benefit several time and it is very convenient when booking at the last minute.
- Lounge access and free breakfast - very convinient in US properties but especially in properties overseas as their breakfast is much better. Also, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the evening (some times even a full dinner buffet).
- 50% points bonus
- amenity gift

These are some of the benefits I really enjoy.
I receive upgrades regularly when staying at Marriott Hotels, or J. W. Marriott Hotels. As for the sold out guarantee I suppose that happens. However, at a Marriott Courtyard in the New Orleans area I am been refused booking four time since January 1. That is at the discretion of that facility manager, but Marriott allows him to do it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by jayhawk
However, at a Marriott Courtyard in the New Orleans area I am been refused booking four time since January 1. That is at the discretion of that facility manager, but Marriott allows him to do it.
I never talk with anyone to use the Plat Room guarantee. I make the reservation online.

My understanding is that the local hotel has virtually no control over allowing or not allowing the Plat guaranteed room. The only thing they can do is to petition Marriott with an exemption "event" where the whole hotel has been reserved by the "event" in question. If it is approved, then Marriott itself, not the hotel, will not allow a Plat reservation overide.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
I receive upgrades regularly when staying at Marriott Hotels, or J. W. Marriott Hotels. As for the sold out guarantee I suppose that happens. However, at a Marriott Courtyard in the New Orleans area I am been refused booking four time since January 1. That is at the discretion of that facility manager, but Marriott allows him to do it.
Sometimes they said this is upgraded room. But for me, if they cannot upgrade to suite, it is not upgraded since I have a 5 years old kid.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kunk00
But for me, if they cannot upgrade to suite, it is not upgraded since I have a 5 years old kid.
Since suites are not guaranteed upgrades, any room above what you booked can be considered an upgrade, regardless of your personal viewpoint of not receiving an upgrade because it's not a suite.

BTW - multiple FTers have children with whom they travel. Not sure they buy into your theory of only a suite upgrade is considered an upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The up to Plat gets you the extra mileage bonus and reservation guarantee, so the question is really whether that extra over gold is worth the benefi
In that case, I decided it wasn't worth it so I'm holding still with Marriott and Hilton Gold on both. Hilton Diamond gives the reservation guarantee and alleged suite upgrades but I haven't sniffed one this year. On that front, the reservation guarantee is worthless for me as I book thru a work vendor and they don't take this into account at all. I can't book rooms outside of the company plan so the benefit is of no good to me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kunk00
Sometimes they said this is upgraded room. But for me, if they cannot upgrade to suite, it is not upgraded since I have a 5 years old kid.
It is upgraded; it's just not enough upgraded for you. There's a difference, upgraded means you got a better room in some way, not necessarily a useful way, than you reserved.

No program gives guarnateed suite upgrades on every stay. The best you can hope for is a limited number of confirmable upgrades, but still very few programs (maybe SPG if you do a zillion nights, not stays?) have even that much on paid stays. Some programs lets you reserve a suite for extra points on an award stay, but that doesn't help if you need to do a paid stay (and at any rate, the price in points may not always be so great).

My suggestion for someone who absolutely needs suites: Choose all-suites brands (or subrands, in the Marriott Suites case). Getting the kind of suite you want at them can be simpler (and actually less expensive often) than trying/hoping for a suite upgrade in a mostly-not-suites hotel (but then all too often not getting it, and being stuck with something insufficient for your needs). And Marriott has several of these (though not all of the "Suites" brands have mostly two-totally-separate-rooms suites, so research which of the "Suites" brands or sub-brands do exactly what if it matters to you). Some of them include (I'm not sure if I remember every last one): Marriott Suites, Springhill Suites, Townplace Suites.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a Marriott thread that someone didn't bring up SPG?

As for the OP's question. I think that Platinum has plenty of benefits, but it varies by location and brand. By making to Platinum, I would think you understand the benefits by now or you wouldn't have spent so much time in Marriott beds. My favorite benefits are the extra points, C-lounge, and arrival gifts at resorts (some are really nice).

I don't worry about the upgrade to a suite or the late checkout. I just don't have a regular need for either.

Hope you have better luck in the future...

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Absolutely!!
Can this also be used for Reward stays?
(I've Diamond-Forced reward stays with Hilton, not sure if Marriott is the same.)

The website is telling me a property is unavailable for a reward in a few weeks' time, is it simply that the website isn't clever enough to recognise my Platinum status?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Motorskills
Can this also be used for Reward stays?
(I've Diamond-Forced reward stays with Hilton, not sure if Marriott is the same.)
No. The 48 hour room reservation guarantee does not apply to award availability.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
SPG - 992 hotels

Marriott - 3700 hotels

Easy choice for me as Marriott has a hotel in all the cities I travel to. SPG not so much.

I use Hyatt as my secondary choice of hotel.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I always find it very funny when someone brings up how much better another programs benefits are in one of these threads, and when you go to the forum for that program you may find the very same poster complaining about how poor the benefits are in that program. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Have you talked to the elite line.
One the few times I could not book online, one call was all it took.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.